XPEnology Community

HDD Hibernation

raven

Hello! I have my system set to hibernate HDDs after 10 minutes and have enabled hibernation logs. I still have not enabled auto poweroff as I would like to try the basic hibernation first. The problem I am encountering is that the NAS is waking up from hibernation about every 1-2 hours. This seems to coincide with my main PC being up and running, but I would like to find out what exactly is causing the NAS to exit hibernation. Unfortunately, the logs only say when the disks came out of hibernation. Is there a way for me to find out the following:

• Reason for the disks coming out of hibernation
  • When the disks go into hibernation (to confirm the length of time)

This would be very helpful in trying to prevent the disks from exiting hibernation. Thanks in advance for your help!

have you tried looking at this thread?

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=13722&sid=8949a425b356c8792b4431be6538c8b4

I have been trying to track down why my machine wakes at exactly 30 minutes each time as well.  Atleast you make it 1 hour!  try this command

enable ssh and goto the prompt and try this out.

"syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 1", wait for hibernation time to pass, enter the CLI-command "syno_hibernate_debug_tool --disable"

have a look at  /var/log/messages 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 9:56 AM, proudx said:

have you tried looking at this thread?

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=13722&sid=8949a425b356c8792b4431be6538c8b4

I have been trying to track down why my machine wakes at exactly 30 minutes each time as well.  Atleast you make it 1 hour!  try this command

enable ssh and goto the prompt and try this out.

"syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 1", wait for hibernation time to pass, enter the CLI-command "syno_hibernate_debug_tool --disable"

have a look at  /var/log/messages 

I will look at the thread, but I'm not sure how relevant it would be since it is almost 9 years old. Thanks!

On 3/12/2018 at 4:48 AM, Polanskiman said:

Do you have any scheduled task programmed to run? I would start by that.  

This is a fresh install. All I have is three tasks in my Task Scheduler: monthly SMART quick test, biannual extended SMART test, and DSM updates check twice a week. The only packages running are File Station and Universal Search in my Package Center. It appears these cannot be disabled. One thing I did was disconnect the ethernet cable for a few days, but the NAS still came out from hibernation about 8 times per day. I am sure there must be a way to know what is actually causing the NAS to wake up from looking at some sort of log somewhere. Unfortunately, I do not have a clue where to look.

Edited by raven

You may have answered your question yourself - it may be universal search causing the disks to spin up so it can check for updates. There is a syno forum post on disabling/minimising it running https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=128590&start=60, also there may well be processes that run in memory that will call DSM system, so the disks spin up, have a look at the logs for any events that are same time as it happening

7 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

You may have answered your question yourself - it may be universal search causing the disks to spin up so it can check for updates. There is a syno forum post on disabling/minimising it running https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=128590&start=60, also there may well be processes that run in memory that will call DSM system, so the disks spin up, have a look at the logs for any events that are same time as it happening

I will look into the post you linked to see if I can disable the Universal Search. Regarding the logs, the problem is that I do not know where to look for them, other than those found in the Log Center. The only events listed here are when the system comes out of hibernation and the times I establish a connection from my PC to look at the DSM interface. For now, I just have those events, since I have not been using the DSM on a regular basis until I can figure out how to prevent it from coming out of hibernation. Are there any other logs that I need to be looking at? Will installing the Log Center package with advanced features provide me with additional logs regarding the DSM? Thanks!

I dont know if this is of use but I looked at the logs of my real DS1812 and an xpe DS3615. Both units show the drives waking up at random times, not just related to connections.

I'd put this down to processes running that need disk access, whatever that might be, there are plenty running all the time in resource monitor.

I dont think you will eliminate waking up completely, and if during 'non production' times, they do wake up for a few minutes, is that an issue?