XPEnology Community

DSM Network Adapter Driver Problems

Jimmers

Hardware: Intel NUC5PPYH

I have installed Jun's loader v1.02b DS3617xs using DSM 6.1. The box boots completely and is relatively stable. But I have encountered a problem with the NUC's  embeded Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 network adapter not playing well with the synology driver.

This is a known issue with many other builds and kernels. I have checked and can confirm that the driver that DSM natively  loads is the same one that I have had a problem with after installing Ubuntu 16.04 Workstation on the same model Nuc box. 0000:03:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 15)

There is a fix, but it requires recompiling a file available from Realtek  here. But that requires a copy of build-essential linux-headers to be on the NUC. There is also a problem where the drivers in DSM are not named conventionally so the Realtek make file will not find the correct files to replace.

So I think the only way to repair the problem might be to take a known working device driver from a similar Debian kernel, I already have one on different NUC Ubuntu 16.04  and transfer it to the DSM and rename it to the Synology convention. Don't know if this will work.

Any ideas?

Edited by Jimmers

that's a little bit more then just "a file", but it's already done, the realtek drivers are part of my extra.lzma

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

23 hours ago, Jimmers said:

So I think the only way to repair the problem might be to take a known working device driver from a similar Debian kernel, I already have one on different NUC Ubuntu 16.04  and transfer it to the DSM and rename it to the Synology convention. Don't know if this will work.

that's not going to work, its not like windows, the driver has to be compiled specific for the kernel and in our case its not just kernel 3.1.102, its a sysnology modified kernel of this version so it hast to be compiled against the source from synology

i wrote a how to about that, but you can just use the extra.lzma from above, no need to build your own driver

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, IG-88 said:

On 2/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, IG-88 said:

that's a little bit more then just "a file", but it's already done, the realtek drivers are part of my extra.lzma

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

that's not going to work, its not like windows, the driver has to be compiled specific for the kernel and in our case its not just kernel 3.1.102, its a sysnology modified kernel of this version so it hast to be compiled against the source from synology

i wrote a how to about that, but you can just use the extra.lzma from above, no need to build your own driver

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

Thanks! This is very helpful.

• 9 months later...

@IG-88 I’m having nightmares with the RTL8111/RTL8168! I loaded the extension but it didn’t work, the NIC is recognized and I can see it loaded in the kernel if i ssh into the box, the network tab in DSM states that I have gigabit connection up and running but .... I get full bandwidth up but around 1.5 - 2 mb down. Tried both ds2356 and 57 but no luck.

i had a box briefly running well but I can’t remember what loader / dsm 6.2 version I was running, I do remember that I was trying to reivive a broken build by using a newer loader than the one it had before. 

Any help would be appreciated 

• 1 year later...

So the driver (kernel module) for RTL8168/8111E Nic GB controller is unstable? I currently am trying to help some friends build a Xpenology through the parts left over from a an old pc.  There problem is the motherboard and the nic card. ASUS M5A78LM LX PLUS Its the RTL8111E and apparently some how it has two mac addresses for one nic. Any help would be appreciated. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2020 at 10:30 PM, Dvalin21 said:

So the driver (kernel module) for RTL8168/8111E Nic GB controller is unstable? I currently am trying to help some friends build a Xpenology through the parts left over from a an old pc.  There problem is the motherboard and the nic card. ASUS M5A78LM LX PLUS Its the RTL8111E and apparently some how it has two mac addresses for one nic. Any help would be appreciated. 

problem onboard Realtek 8111H network card.
I downloaded the latest ARPL. When to install on AsRock N100DC-ITX and Realtek 8111H.
it gets to the point of Booting the Kernel and just freezes and nothing happens.
i can no longer ping the system either so it is like the kernel panic and froze the system
AsRock N100DC-ITX