XPEnology Community

DS1511+ running Xpenology

FlorisVN

this thread might be interesting for you

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41065-ds1010-internal-usb-bootloader-repair-dsm-upgrade-to-6/?do=findComment&comment=195019

especially this one is for 1511+, contains a boot image plus explanation on how to patch for your serial and mac's (you might use google translate or similar)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9787-восстановление-загрузочной-флешки-на-ds1511/?do=findComment&comment=90382

On 3/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, IG-88 said:

this thread might be interesting for you

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41065-ds1010-internal-usb-bootloader-repair-dsm-upgrade-to-6/?do=findComment&comment=195019

especially this one is for 1511+, contains a boot image plus explanation on how to patch for your serial and mac's (you might use google translate or similar)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9787-восстановление-загрузочной-флешки-на-ds1511/?do=findComment&comment=90382

Thanks @IG-88

I tried using that image from the Russian thread but getting the error 13 whenever trying to install the .pat even though I've inputted my serial and macs. Error 13 points to vid/pid issues but the grub.conf file in that image has no settings for vid/pid.

Wondering if anyone else was able to get their 1511+ up and running with this image? 

1 minute ago, chineyman86 said:

that image has no settings for vid/pid.

a original usb module has f400/f400 for vid/pid, to completly replace a original module you would also need to change a usb flash drive to have this id's - and that part need some reading, work and the right source material (usb flash drive with the right hardware that you can get tools for)

Thanks @IG-88 again. After a few hours scouring Russian forums, I found a rework tool for one of the USB flash drives I had and was able to set F400 for VID and PID. Formatted the drive and flashed the image from the thread linked above. I successfully booted up and installed DSM 6.2.4 and everything is working EXCEPT my changes to the vender file did not work. 

Control Panel shows blank for serial number and my macs are completely different than what I set in the vender file. Do you know if there is something else that needs to be modified? Another user mentioned position 68 might have some effect but I'm not sure what to change here.

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:25 AM, chineyman86 said:

Thanks @IG-88 again. After a few hours scouring Russian forums, I found a rework tool for one of the USB flash drives I had and was able to set F400 for VID and PID. Formatted the drive and flashed the image from the thread linked above. I successfully booted up and installed DSM 6.2.4 and everything is working EXCEPT my changes to the vender file did not work. 

Control Panel shows blank for serial number and my macs are completely different than what I set in the vender file. Do you know if there is something else that needs to be modified? Another user mentioned position 68 might have some effect but I'm not sure what to change here.

Hi there,

Thanks for responding to this thread and everybody else out there !

It's, been a while since I have not posted anything..

I recently bought an RS818+ USB module for a few euro's, which I think should work/fit inside the 1511+

Anyway, I was wondering which USB Stick and software did you use to modify your VID and PID's ?

I remember I never got this to work in the past...

I remember changing stuff using an hexeditor from that russian thread, should you be able to change your serial and NIC Mac adresses, did you ever got that change working ?

Thanks in advance,

On 12/27/2019 at 10:23 PM, knyghtryda said:

Has anyone tried to install a ds1512+ firmware onto a ds1511+ by this method?  I'm looking to add SSD caching to my ds1511+ and it looks like ds1512+ is the first version of the device that supports it...

I made a DS1512+ acronis backup in the past, and I believe I have also tested it on my 1511+ which did not work.

As far as I can remember, the 1512+ was UEFI based, and 1511+ Bios based and did not even wanted to boot from the UEFI based GRUB image from the 1512+

Maybe this can be modified I dont know..

I would love to share my back-up images, but so far I dont know how to erase my own serial numbers and mac adress info..

If anybody can tell me.. ?

Edited by FlorisVN

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, 

I have found this article because I am facing a similar issue, but need help to re install DSM to my internal flash drive. 

My original message can be found here:

I have downloaded the image from the Russian website, but don't know what to do with it. Is there a guide explaining how to do a fresh install? 

There is a zip file ds1511+boot.zip and inside another file: ds1511+.DSM5.2-5967.U.6.boot.ima (let's say I was able to re install, do I still need to change the MAC address/Serial Number vid/pid to make it work)?

I can skip the above step if the only option to run DSM 7 is using an external USB drive (that's the main purpose, I'd like to run DSM 7 upgrading from DSM 6 originally ), but also didn't understand how to do it based on what I read. Any guide pointing me how to do it I appreciate it.