XPEnology Community

How to retrieve a USB stick to its original capacity?

Elpee

Hi everybody,

I have a 2GB usb stick that I burnt DSM 4.1 image on it long time ago and never used it.

Now, I want to burn a new beta DSM 5.0 on it, but when I hook it up on my (Windows) PC it was asked to format and I found the total capacity is now only at a few MBs.

So, how to retrieve to its original capacity that I can clearly see on my PC?

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Open a command prompt in Windows, type diskpart, list disk will show a list of disks.

Select your USB disk ie select disk 2, then type clean. Then type exit to close diskpart.

You can now format your USB disk, sometimes you have to disconnect the USB disk & reinsert it before you can format it.

Thank you for the reply.

I did follow exactly what you told, but unfortunately after I re-inserted usb drive back to my PC, I saw Windows said "Unknown Capacity" from format window.

When I tried to format it, I found an error "Windows was unable to complete the format"

Once again, please help, anybody?

Thanks a lot.

As an extension to Dfds' reply, you can perform the format with Diskpart.

Diskpart

list disk

select disk #

clean

create partition primary

active

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

Alternatively since running the clean command you can go run diskmgmt.msc from the start menu or run prompt and you may be able to format it in there.

Hi everybody,

I have a 2GB usb stick that I burnt DSM 4.1 image on it long time ago and never used it.

Now, I want to burn a new beta DSM 5.0 on it, but when I hook it up on my (Windows) PC it was asked to format and I found the total capacity is now only at a few MBs.

stop doing it complicated way and just simply use this utility - http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-St ... 74082.html

Hi everybody,

1)start

2)run

3)diskmgmt.msc

4)delete all partitions on the usb the 16gb and the raw

5)format as whatever and enjoy.

Hi everybody,

windows 7

1. Start Up > Computer > Right Click > Manage

2. Storage > Disk Management

3. your USB drive, Delete the old paritions

4. format

Thank you very much for all you have replied. I found using a usb stick to boot my nas seems not so convenient.

Just pop-up an idea that I should install DSM direct ly to my hard drive and boot from it. Is that impossible? How and why?

Ocne again, thank you, budies.