XPEnology Community

NAS gone, how long wait to reboot?

So, after checking reports on DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5 I decided to run the update on my NAS.
Got to the reloading screen and that's the end of it.
After a while reloaded the loading webpage and got error to connect.
http://find.synology.com/ and Synology assistance doesn't detect any NAS on my lan any more, nor does trying to load the IP directly work.
The machine is still running and I need to reboot it to get visible access to it as I didn't have a monitor connected to it when this happened (need to reboot to activate the screen).
Question is, do I dare rebooting it if it's in some kind of update process, how long to wait until I force a hardware reboot?

Edited by SteinerKD

Update. First hurdle was I was caught on a no input device error code, Attached keyboard and got past that, now stuck at A2 error code (SATA init).
After powering down and a few restarts finally got back to the normal Xpenology loader screen on the monitor.
Back on computer however there's no connection whatsoever to the NAS. No assistant, no find synology, no direct IP,  no domain man access or SSH access.

Disconnected drives and insert another HD, now nas is found and could do upgrade/repair install on that drive.
Connect the 2 disks from a volume of my NAS before update. New system detects disk but say there is no volume on them.
Restart with the 2 previous volume disks connected and again, non reachable system, no access in any way.

Getting seriously nervous now as I have 4 more disks to hook up with my big volume, 12TB of data. (much of it as a iSCSI drive).

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome at this point.

18 minutes ago, test4321 said:

Hmmm, I had something like this I think. I dont remember how I resolved it.

Did you make sure to get your VID PID set for the USB?

It was a perfectly running system rock solid until the update somehow killed the network connection on it (and maybe the drives as well, can't tell yet), I think the USB stick is just fine (since at one point I actually managed to create a new install on a separate disk, that promptly died when I tried reconnecting the other drives).

10 minutes ago, SteinerKD said:

It was a perfectly running system rock solid until the update somehow killed the network connection on it (and maybe the drives as well, can't tell yet), I think the USB stick is just fine (since at one point I actually managed to create a new install on a separate disk, that promptly died when I tried reconnecting the other drives).

Did you try the Force method(2nd from the top when you load up)? Is this a barebones or ESXI machine? AMD or Intel?

PS: i would just recommend to re-install. It sucks, but it should be seamless - all files should stay from what I experienced.

Edited by test4321

1 hour ago, test4321 said:

Did you try the Force method(2nd from the top when you load up)? Is this a barebones or ESXI machine? AMD or Intel?

PS: i would just recommend to re-install. It sucks, but it should be seamless - all files should stay from what I experienced.

It's a Barebone Intel system.

As I said above, I DID do a reinstall on a separate drive, when I connected the drives for one of my volumes discs where detected but DSM said there was no volumes in the system and when I rebooted I had lost access to that install as well and haven't been able to regain it since.

Ok, this is getting very weird now.
As described earlier I had some issues booting (hardware) but then I managed to get to where I see the normal Jun loader screen. I however have absolutely no access to the NAS. No assistant, no find.synology, no ssh, no direct Ip or domain.
Removed all drives and done an install on another drive, it's detected and installed. No hardware issue or network issue.

So, why no access to the old system if there are no IP conflict or hardware issue?

Connect 1 or 2 of the drives for my smallest volume from the defunct system.
New system detects disc immediately but says they are not initialized and detect no volumes or shared folders on them.

Now the weird stuff starts. If I reboot with any of these discs connected I again end up with a system that is not accessible (the new install is in the lowest numbered slot so should be the master). Even if somehow the update attempt had wiped the drives (to explain the no volumes) simply connecting them shouldn't disable access completely to the working install, right?

Running those two discs alone (2*4tb raid 1) the system seems to load (you get the normal nas loaded screen) but alas, no access in any way, invisible to the system (although the switch seems to indicate traffic). Tried to use the reinstall option during boot, but again, no access to the system so no help.

This is a barebones intel install using Jun 1.02b, DSM 6.1.x
Before doing the DSM update it had been rock solid with a 2 months uptime.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on and why the discs shows up as empty or why they somehow disable all network connections and maybe some solutions?

1 hour ago, SteinerKD said:

Tried burning a new loader USB and it seemed to work at first. System booted and Assistant found a recoverable system (on my old drives).
Selected to recover, it ran through it's process. and BAM no access whatsoever again.

Re-image the usb and configure the grub file as appropriate. Add the extra ramdisk if you had it originally. Now plug it and only plug a clean HDD. Make the install and update DSM up to the version where your original HDDs were. Once done, turn the machine off and remove the hard drive. Now put back the original HDDs. Let us know if that works.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Actually I have a question. Why creating two topics for the same thing? Please read the rules. I am merging the topics and moving it to the appropriate location.

Although related I considered it two different topic. The first was only if I needed to wait with reboot because I was worried about the ongoing update process,

The second post was about a specific issue that has occurred after the system became inaccessible and concerns both the crashed system and  a newly installed one. I would delete the first post if I could as only this second post is of any relevant at this time. It wasn't my intention to spam or break any rules, but in general the rules tend to be not to hijack threads with unrelated issues but rather add another.

18 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Re-image the usb and configure the grub file as appropriate. Add the extra ramdisk if you had it originally. Now plug it and only plug a clean HDD. Make the install and update DSM up to the version where your original HDDs were. Once done, turn the machine off and remove the hard drive. Now put back the original HDDs. Let us know if that works.

Thank you, I will try that after some sleep, been at this for far too many hours. Not sure about the ram disk, have no idea about that part. I currently have any clean HDs unfortunately, might a forced reinstall on my current spare HDs work (all have had DSM on them at some point)

3 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You are not hijacking since you are the same person and the secondary problem stems from the first one. Your secondary issue is only a consequence. You should be focusing on the first one. Try what I wrote above.

Ok, point made, no further arguments from me. I apologize for the inconvenience. 
I will report back once I've tried it.

May I ask another question.
What's the rationale for removing the newly installed system before attaching the disks? What will be the effect if you just add the old disks to the new system? (my understanding is that the system of the lowest numbered disk will be the master and written to any other disk if there are discrepancies, is this incorrect?).

I've tried several installs so far with no luck, the old disks keep appearing as empty and prevents access to the system.

Now doing another run after having completely cleaned a HD (wiped all partitions) and done a complete clean install of 6.1.4-15217 update 1. The disk is installed in slot 1 of 18 in my system (6 first Intel motherboard, then 4 ASMedia motherboard followed by a LSI 8-port PCI-e card).

Again no luck :/

Clean USB and disk, completely clean install of system, Shut system down, remove the disk and attach old disk volume disks.
Booth to a recoverable system (no other options), after recovery and reboot non accessible system, invisible to assistant and find.synology. Not grabbing a new IP via DHCP or using the old systems static IP.

Starting to look more and more like my NAS is  complete write-off and all 6*4tb of data a complete loss.

If anyone have any more ideas of things to try I'm all ears?

4 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Boot logs would give you a better insight of what the problem is. You would need a serial/usb cable. Ultimately you could try recovering the data by accessing the drives through linux. See tutorial I made. It's in my signature.

Thanks, unfortunately even if I could I have nowhere to recover the files to as the drives the data resides on represent my entire storage pool.
A USB cable shouldn't be a problem, any chance you can point me to a guide on how to attach me Win PC to the NAS and analyze via USB? 

I'm back!
In pure desperation I reconnected the new system drive, then all old drives. All my settings and old users are gone and the iSCSI target was also gone (But LUN left). One volume came up as degraded with the missing disk as a free spare (luckily a raid 1 so no actual loss) while the second and larger volume was entirely intact.
I've got some configuring to do but the data is all intact by the look of it and after fixing the iSCSI I seems to have access to everything from everywhere in my LAN/Domain.
I guess no more updates for me for a LONG time.