XPEnology Community

[GUIDE] Install XPEnology on HP N54L Server - Noob Friendly

fma965

UPDATE: New guide for DSM 5.0, http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpen ... thout-esxi

Hey guys i wrote this guide on how to install XPEnology on HP N54L Server - Noob Friendly

I am simply gonna post the link here as it's to much effort to convert it from HTML to BB CODE

http://cyanlabs.co.uk/tutorials/install ... 54l-server

I am also going to install it via ESXi soon but for now this will do (i need more RAM and need to think of reasons to use more than 1 OS before i do that)

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

One thing I'd change is a better discussion on the SHR level. You shouldn't let it create one as default as that's only SHR1. Stop it from making a volume, and then do a specific section on which type of RAID/SHR level to choose.

One thing I'd change is a better discussion on the SHR level. You shouldn't let it create one as default as that's only SHR1. Stop it from making a volume, and then do a specific section on which type of RAID/SHR level to choose.

+1

I'd recommend not selecting the default creation of one SHR volume from all available disks and add this in as a separate activity post-install. The various options can be discussed then i.e. SHR vs RAID-n etc

Fair enough, i only have 1 HDD currently though so no choice for this.

NEW GUIDE COMING SOON, INSTALLING DSM 5.0 GNOBOOT > ESXi > HP N54L :smile: should be today/tommorow hopefully.

Hi, fma965!

First of all, thanks for your help! I'm installing Xpenology on an HP N54L, and couldn't be easier!

I'm having just a little problem: When I try to upgrade, it must be something wrong in my "copy&paste" way: No matter if I try on a Windows computer, or on my Mac. I can access to my diskstation, but when I paste, logged via Putty or terminal:

"sed ‘s/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/’ /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info",

I can't install my downloaded upgrade.

I'm doing something wrong, for sure, but...what?

Are you attempting to apply a major or minor update?

In order to apply a small update using the DSM update process you need to install the big update first i.e. from 4.3.3810 to 4.3.3827 using Trantors Beta package for example. Once you have done that the small 3827 update 1 should be easy using the DSM updater.

Hi, fma965!

First of all, thanks for your help! I'm installing Xpenology on an HP N54L, and couldn't be easier!

I'm having just a little problem: When I try to upgrade, it must be something wrong in my "copy&paste" way: No matter if I try on a Windows computer, or on my Mac. I can access to my diskstation, but when I paste, logged via Putty or terminal:

"sed ‘s/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/’ /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info",

I can't install my downloaded upgrade.

I'm doing something wrong, for sure, but...what?

quotes need to be ' not , fixed on my website.