XPEnology Community

Onto which drive does XPenology install

Hi guys

Just curious. so I download the synology boot img onto a USB stick, which is the boot loader. this then the first time ask me to upload the pat file.

Question, how where does it install the pat file if I have multiple drives in the host.

I'm going to have the usb thumb drive internal for the boot loader, I'm installing a 128GB M.2 SSD device which I want to use for the XPenology software install, this will also be my Flex Media Server Cache and meta data storage space.

And then Installing X large drives, was thinking easiest to make sure it all gets installed on the M.2 SSD is to not install the large drives until XPenology is installed. ?

G

... If the drives/the Big 4TB drives are physical not in the machine... can not be on there...

If the only drive/storage is in the machine at install time is the M.2 SSD then surely it only sits on there.

Or will the OS be replicated onto the 4TB when they are installed and the XPenology is started the next time.

G

18 minutes ago, George said:

... If the drives/the Big 4TB drives are physical not in the machine... can not be on there...

If the only drive/storage is in the machine at install time is the M.2 SSD then surely it only sits on there.

Or will the OS be replicated onto the 4TB when they are installed and the XPenology is started the next time.

G

As soon as you add any HDD's DSM will get installed onto them it's just how it works.

In short 

Install XPE DSM it  will be installed on all HDD !

when the Install is done create the fist volume1 on the M2 SSD / install all Apps to volume1/ Create volume2 with your other HDD / create the shares on Volume2

Done 

you have now what you need describen in your first post.

BR

Michael

Thanks Nemesis

Having played around a bit, did not see that I had the option to define where I want my apps installed to, this case Volume1 ?

Still curious, how big is the XPenology install, how much space does it take up for a OS copy in the first couple of blocks of each drive ?

G

1 hour ago, George said:

Polanskiman.

I just clicked on a random package to install it, it went straight into installing it, not asking where to install it, is there a default that I change some where to change the default install location?

thanks

G

Open Package Center, Settings. There is a drop down which allows you to choose the default volume.

That clearly indicates that you only have one volume in your system. If you go to the Storage Manager > Volume I am pretty certain there will be only 1 volume. If you have more than 1 volume it should show something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 11.00.02 AM.jpg

Package Center > Settings > General should show something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.53.34 AM.jpg

I would suggest reading what follows for a better understanding of what volumes are and how to create them:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/volume_diskgroup

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/volume_diskgroup_create_volume

Please check my logic...

I'm thinking of leaving package installs on the default volume (spread/stripped/mirrored over all the HDD's), my reason, volume1 that will be on the M.2 SSD will not be protected (single M2.D), I don't mind loosing PLEX cached data, the media meta data, should something go wrong, that can be rebuild,

I'd rather put the app installs on the 4GB slice on the beginning of all drives, that way even if a drive fails my package installs (+configs) are safe.

G

Again, it doesn't work that way.  You can create a volume1 on a new disk group that is mirrored all over the HDD's, but you can't save packages on the system or swap RAIDs.  You can't install packages until you create at least a volume1, and that volume will be on a different partition than system/swap.

Edited by flyride