XPEnology Community

sata controller LSI 9201-16i or 9260-16i (Raid)

kuehne.robs

Hi,

is it better to use a normal sas/sata controller like the LSI 9201-16i for the Xpenology or the 9260-16i wich is an SAS/SATA Raid Controller with Cache Memory and an optional Backup Battery. Does anybody have one of this in use with a Xpenology installation

At the moment i us an older 3ware RAID Controller (PCI-64) with an synboot with hba drivers. Does the 9201 also need hba drivers or are they only needed for RAID Controllers.

at last i have a questions about LSI Controllers

- What is the IT Mode ? (i think its a kind of non raid mode for raid controllers)

thanks for your help

Hi,

is it better to use a normal sas/sata controller like the LSI 9201-16i for the Xpenology or the 9260-16i wich is an SAS/SATA Raid Controller with Cache Memory and an optional Backup Battery. Does anybody have one of this in use with a Xpenology installation

At the moment i us an older 3ware RAID Controller (PCI-64) with an synboot with hba drivers. Does the 9201 also need hba drivers or are they only needed for RAID Controllers.

at last i have a questions about LSI Controllers

- What is the IT Mode ? (i think its a kind of non raid mode for raid controllers)

thanks for your help

I just bought an LSI 9201-8i (oem only) from ebay for $75. It's basically a 9211-8i w/o raid (just IT mode), and can use 9211-8i bios/firmware.

I'm kinda noob when it comes to raid/hba controllers. But if you intend to use it for synology, then you probably want DSM to be handling the raid, so you wouldn't really want to use a controller in raid mode. IR = raid mode, IT = non raid. Here's a quick thread I just found about IT mode http://forums.servethehome.com/raid-con ... -mode.html

I have mine working good in my test system under esxi 5.5 and using gnoboot w/ DSM 5. I don't think I installed any drivers for esxi, unless they were included in other driver packs I installed prior. And I didn't have to do anything special with gnoboot.