XPEnology Community

Tutorial - Install DSM 6.1.5 on ESXi 6.5

Digital

Hi everyone,

This is a quick tutorial about installing DSM 6.1.5 on ESXi 6.5.

I spent quite some time trying to make it work and I had to use different tutorials to find the match working on my system. That is why I uploaded this tutorial.

One of the main problem I got was making my virtual interface getting an IP from my DHCP, I realised it was because of a mismatch between the mac address in the grub.cfg and the mac address of the virtual interface.

The second issue, during the install, no disks were shown, it is because they were tagged to a scsi controller and it only work in IDE or SATA. (I choose IDE)

The third issue was an error message I was getting during the installation of DSM: ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)”. This one because I was using the vmdk of V1.01 for DSM 6.0.2 from this link: ” https://mega.nz/#F!yQpw0YTI!DQqIzUCG2RbBtQ6YieScWg!LAZmSagJ

The tutorial:

First, we need to download these 3 files:

1. DS3617xs 6.1 Jun’s Mod V1.02-alpha.zip

https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!5kcjyJ7R

1.thumb.jpg.df965d0d0132437f8e8c0138a8e533ca.jpg

2. synoboot.img

https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!R4VmQbaC

2.thumb.jpg.eb1b7768cfcbbfcf4c41d27933810497.jpg

3. DSM_DS3617xs_15254 (Last DSM version)

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.5/15254/

3.jpg.4183b1f2e1f351a7615edd71807e4d30.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unzip DS3617xs 6.1 Jun’s Mod V1.02-alpha.zip and open the folder.

4.thumb.jpg.c833376ee65d1dc431e250208854f0f3.jpg

Then, replace the file synoboot.img with the specifically downloaded before (It is 1.02b version)

Remove the files DS3615.ovf and ds3615.vmx as we don’t need them.

Upload the two files synoboot.img and synoboot.vmdk to the esxi.

5.thumb.jpg.db2fd5bbaffd4784019aa8d8d3d72100.jpg

Create a new VM.

6.thumb.jpg.97976a97ab27b52e37bbf0079b933f94.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.ff6b04074cc782d0abd7bd19726a1d45.jpg8.thumb.jpg.87247d719f165414b90c514d40616e06.jpg

The setting are :

2 CPU

2 GB

Remove the default HDD and add an existing Hard Drive

9.thumb.jpg.b28377e23b558f79bb883c5be59f13b2.jpg

And select the synoboot.vmdk previously uploaded and put it as IDE Controller 0 and as Master

10.thumb.jpg.5142b0890e68a59ff85ba86c131b7766.jpg

Add a new Hard Drive, 16 GB, IDE Controller 1 as Master and with Thick provisioned, Eargerly zeroed (For better performances)

11.thumb.jpg.78b0545c312e9aa6256b42fd94338dcf.jpg

Make sure your Network Adapter is mapped to your network.

12.thumb.jpg.9465b90b91227a29fdbfc0acff3a77a2.jpg

Click Next and finish.

Wait for the VM to be created as it needs to setup a Thick HDD.

We will need to power on the VM to get an IP and Mac Address.

13.jpg.d4eb5faf7d9030c973cbced39414c02c.jpg

From now, you shouldn’t have a network working on the VM, the reason is because the mac address in your grub.cfg doesn’t match the one from your interface. We will need to edit this file.

Go to the options after powered on and check the Mac address of the adapter.

14.thumb.jpg.fdabf0b4f5923580a849cc547d7635d2.jpg

In our case: 000C29FD75B1

Shutdown the VM, go to your windows and install OSFMount: https://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Mount new, select the synoboot.img from the folder used before on the windows.

15.jpg.49b5d75e95d893c4c89f42653b9e6d54.jpg

Mount Partition 0, 15MB

16.jpg.79286fec0255ce8abfbfe1b1c9294fb0.jpg

Make sure to uncheck Read-only drive

Go to the mounted drive, Grub folder and edit grub.cfg with notepad++

17.thumb.jpg.4559c4f9354d38b665b4223ca91b170e.jpg

We will need to input the mac1 address with the interface we got previously.

18.jpg.eaa7eae3d7cfb065b5155b338ae62055.jpg

Save

Dismount the virtual disk

19.thumb.jpg.3226ff9f2c9d69f614f06069b715408d.jpg

and upload the new edited version of your synoboot.img to the esxi.

20.thumb.jpg.ae66ef0375bfcda93791f192bd7dea3b.jpg

Power on the VM.

From your windows, open http://find.synology.com or install the synology assistant. https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS3617xs#utilities

You should be able to find your DSM and process the installation.

Select manual install and use the .pat previously downloaded.

And that’s it. Your Synology should restart once and you should be able to setup your personal settings.

The tutorial is finished.

I hope it was enough clear for you and it will help.

Kind regards,

Digital

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cheers Digital!

For someone like me that's new to Xpenology and ESXi, this is a great tutorial - appreciate the time and effort you put into coming up with this.
Thought I'd share my experience with this install.

DS3615xs Files: Instead of the DS3617xs files, I used the DS3615xs set from the above. I haven't experienced any problems (well at least not that I can attribute to the loader).

HDDs Not Visible: Using Raw Device Mapping (RDM), I mapped 5 SATA HDDs to Xpenology. On my first Xpenology installation attempt, Xpenology only saw 5 HDDs: 2 were the disks created as part of the tutorial, and a further 3 related to the RDM drives. This meant 2 RDM drives were missing. So within grub.cfg, I changed sata_pcislot=8 (was =5, and I'm guessing I could have got away with =7), rebooted, and Xpenology was then able to see all 5 SATA HDDs via RDM. I haven't needed to touch SataPortMap. Not sure if this was the correct way to resolve my issue but seems to have worked.

MAC Address: I inserted the actual MAC address of my NIC into grub.cfg instead of the MAC address reported under VM - Edit Settings (they were different). Haven't had any issues.

Boot Menu: I've tried using both the Bare Metal install option (which is what I think is used if you follow the tutorial above) and the ESXi install option. I don't know what the difference is between them but to my untrained eye they seem the same.

So all good you think, but I do have an issue....

When I attempt to Shutdown Xpenology (from within Xpenology), it doesn't Shutdown. After looking at the console it appears Xpenology maybe Restarting as I can see the Boot menu pop up again, and then presumably continue to load once the menu timer runs out.  I suspect this is where my blissful ignorance is biting me in the backside.

Should I be seeing the boot menu again? Is there a simple fix?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Clutzz

Edited by Clutzz
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 11:59 PM, Vladislav said:

When I try to mount synoboot.img from here https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!5kcjyJ7R  my windows 10 and OSFmount say that the disk image file is corrupted. Any ideas ? 

Thank you.

On 3/5/2018 at 2:42 AM, Dfds said:

All current loaders can be found here: 

I suggest that you  download the relevant loader from here & try again.

The link provided by the user is fine as it is the source (jun's repo). I suggest you try downloading again.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:25 PM, Clutzz said:

Boot Menu: I've tried using both the Bare Metal install option (which is what I think is used if you follow the tutorial above) and the ESXi install option. I don't know what the difference is between them but to my untrained eye they seem the same.

They are close, but not the same. Baremetal will not mask the local SATA controller in the VM, while ESXi will. I don't know what other changes there are (if any), though.

The idea behind ESXi mode is that you can use the loader as a virtual SATA disk, and have it disappear from DSM, not taking up a drive slot.

Switching between the two has caused me problems between boots (installation recovery mode). I strongly recommend editing Grub and setting the default selection to ESXi if you are planning on using the other boot option even once. Just to also note, it counts from zero, so "2" will be the third grub menuentry selection.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to add.. running esxi 6.5 and using 3617 latest 6.1.6.

Choosing the option ESXI in the bootloader, at most I can move forward with the DSM upload but after that reboot, it throws out the error and cannot see the hard drives.  I've tried it with SCSI, SATA and even IDE.

Choosing bare metal, will work but will show the 50 MB VMDK file as an actual hard drive plus any hard drives you added.  That worked using IDE, SATA, (and if I remember, SCSI).  Using IDE, SATA, (maybe SCSI), does show you different hard drive numbers/configurations when you go look at your drives under storage FYI.

I read somewhere that masking the VMDK hard drive file was working with earlier version of the 6.1 DSM but something must of changed and broke that.

So there is a way to get it to work, but my OCD side says gaining that ONE sata drive space back should be possible. 

I have been experimenting with maybe somehow emulating (like in a real Bare Metal installed) booting the CD-ROM/Floppy Drive with the IMG/ISO file and having the bootloader load that way.  No luck so far.  Any attempts of mounting the IMG file or converting the IMG to ISO, ESXI just does not boot and/or recognize the file(s) correctly (i'm assuming).

1 hour ago, bmac6996 said:

Wanted to add.. running esxi 6.5 and using 3617 latest 6.1.6.

Choosing the option ESXI in the bootloader, at most I can move forward with the DSM upload but after that reboot, it throws out the error and cannot see the hard drives. 

This is the same problem I'm encountering specifically with the 6.1.6 upgrade.  Try using 6.1.5 for now until we figure out what's going on.

The synoboot.vmdk referencing the bootloader img should be connected via the default virtual SATA controller, and it will be automatically hidden when you boot with the ESXi option.  No other devices should be attached to that SATA controller.

I have had the best results with VMDK's for data drives by adding a separate VM SCSI controller and connecting the virtual disk to that.  If you have a plan to passthrough a physical SATA controller and all the drives attached to it, that generally works without much fanfare assuming that DSM has driver support for the hardware.

15 hours ago, flyride said:

This is the same problem I'm encountering specifically with the 6.1.6 upgrade.  Try using 6.1.5 for now until we figure out what's going on.

In my opinion, although I haven't looked in detail, the problem is coming from a module in the DS3617xs loader. If you use DS3615xs it will work.

I did test. 

Clean install using the 3617 loader, DSM version 6.1.6.  On ESXI selecting the baremetal option in the bootloader, I have to do the initial install have all the drives on the SATA controller.  Once installed, I have to install another SATA controller, move the spare HD there and then i can use the ESXI option and the vmdk HD will disappear.  If i try to move the spare HD to a SCSI controller, DSM won't see the HD and will not boot.

I also did test using the DSM 6.1.5 version also.  With that, I still have to install everything on SATA but I can move the HD to the SCSI controller and use the ESXI bootloader option.

If i have time and am bored.. I'll try the 3615 loader in ESXI.

Edited by bmac6996
grammer

• 3 weeks later...

hello guys, I have a problem that I can not solve, after every reboot requested by the update I can not find the VM in the network anymore. I followed the guide step but neto to do. changed the mac address, type of network card, serial but nothing to do, the only way to start the Vm is to recharge the img file is to reconfigure the settings (the data remain) did it happen to you? I have not been updating the DSM for a long time now Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope someone can help me how can i add virtual SSD for cache to DSM.. 

My setup is:

Gen8 Microserver 

ESXI 6.7

Jun 1.02b loader

DS3617xs 

16GB MicroSD (ESXI installation) 

250GB SSD (50 Virtual disk to Syno, another 100 to Windows Server) 

120GB SSD (host swap, i would create 2x20GB virtual SSD to this drive) 

2TB HDD (1.5TB virtual HDD to Synology, what i would cache with 1*20GB virtual SSD)

4TB HDD (3.5TB virtual HDD to Synology, what i would cache with the another 1x20GB virtual SSD) 

Syno VM config: loader, 50mb as virtual SCSI device, virtual disks as SATA drives. 

Loader working in barmemetal mode, i cant see the 50mb loader disk, SATA mapping is good, everything is fine, it's upgrading good, no errors so far. 

Just i can't add drives to the VM as SSD, the DSM recognize all drives as vmware virtual HDD. 

Because its a virtualized layer, you can only do that if you passthrouh the sata controler, that way, dsm will use disks with direct access to hardware.
Evem rdm wont work because its well a pointer to a maped disk.

If you realy need firts read about passttrough, and all implications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:47 AM, Ikyo said:

If anyone finds a working version of VMWare Tools let me know.  My old version errored out when I upgraded to 6.2

http://spk.4sag.ru/?fulllist=true

open-vm-tools_x64-6.1_10.1.15-4

14 hours ago, Stefan said:

Does anyone have an actual guide for installing DSM 6.2 with Jun’s Mod V1.03b on ESXi 6.7?

its almost the same

you need synoboot.vmdk from 6.0.2 loader and synoboot.img  from Jun’s Mod V1.03b with  edited grub.cfg

while creating new vm remove default disk and scsi device

in the network section set the same mac as in the grub.cfg

add sata device

add existing vmdisk synoboot.vmdk as sata 0:0

add new sata device

add new disks as sata 1:0, 1:1 and so on

when you edit grub.cfg you dont need to change vid/pid/mac/sn but you can remove baremetal instal and reinstall section or mark it with # sign like this

#menuentry "DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal $VERSION" --class os {
#        set img=
#        savedefault
#        loadlinux 3615 usb
#        loadinitrd
#        showtips
#}
#
#menuentry "DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal $VERSION Reinstall" --class os {
#        set img=
#        loadlinux 3615 usb mfg
#        loadinitrd
#        showtips
#}
#
#menuentry "DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal AMD $VERSION" --class os {
#        set img=
#        set zImage=bzImage
#        savedefault
#        loadlinux 3615 usb
#        loadinitrd
#        showtips
#}

menuentry "DS3615xs 6.2 VMWare/ESXI $VERSION" --class os {
        set img=
        savedefault
        loadlinux 3615 sata
        loadinitrd
        showtips
}

Hope someone can help me how can i add virtual SSD for cache to DSM.. 

My setup is:

Gen8 Microserver 

ESXI 6.7

Jun 1.02b loader

DS3617xs 

16GB MicroSD (ESXI installation) 

250GB SSD (50 Virtual disk to Syno, another 100 to Windows Server) 

120GB SSD (host swap, i would create 2x20GB virtual SSD to this drive) 

2TB HDD (1.5TB virtual HDD to Synology, what i would cache with 1*20GB virtual SSD)

4TB HDD (3.5TB virtual HDD to Synology, what i would cache with the another 1x20GB virtual SSD) 

Syno VM config: loader, 50mb as virtual SCSI device, virtual disks as SATA drives. 

Loader working in barmemetal mode, i cant see the 50mb loader disk, SATA mapping is good, everything is fine, it's upgrading good, no errors so far. 

Just i can't add drives to the VM as SSD, the DSM recognize all drives as vmware virtual HDD. 

maybe install 6.2 baremetal on hp and try use vmm from synology.

im considering it for myself

Edited by luchuma