XPEnology Community

What happens if my USB drive goes bad

Elpee

Hi everybody,

Welcome onboard... No, I said it just to me ... :mrgreen:

Just installed DSM 4.3 and mine is running just fine. Everything looks wonderful and thank you all for your contributions to this forum.

But I just thought that what happens if my USB thump drive goes bad. All my data definitely is gone forever because I cannot boot my Nas up again, right?

What would you do in that case?

Thank you for your inputs.

Hi everybody,

Welcome onboard... No, I said it just to me ... :mrgreen:

Just installed DSM 4.3 and mine is running just fine. Everything looks wonderful and thank you all for your contributions to this forum.

But I just thought that what happens if my USB thump drive goes bad. All my data definitely is gone forever because I cannot boot my Nas up again, right?

What would you do in that case?

Thank you for your inputs.

Hello,

I`m new here so please have patience with me :=)

So if I understand you guys right it doesn`t matter if the usb stick goes bad?

I don`t understand the installation then. What did I install on the usb stick then?

So I can just take another usb with a brand new clean image and it will run?

There is no need for backup of the config then?

T

I'm having a similar problem.

I and running 4.3 as jbod and I had a Volume Crash.

I rebooted and all my files are still there but getting a message that says:

USB Disk 1: Your disk space is running out.

Please add or replace disks to expand the storage.

I'm using an 8Gb thumb drive and I havent put anything on it but the files when I first started out.

Does this mean for me to format the thumb drive and reinstall the original files?

I won't lose my files?

Thanks

no, don't format your thumb drive.

The best solution would be to use something like gparted live CD and resize the partition on the USB Disk but you can probably just ignore the error without issue.

This happens because the folks that create the various xpenology releases usually only have their .img file create a 28-32MB partition... you still have about 7.6 GB of usable space on your thumb drive in your case... If you resize I'd suggest bumping your boot partition to ~128 MB. You won't ever run out of space and you can use the other space if you create another partition on it.

Well, I figured I lost everything I had anyway so I shut the server down and removed the thumb drive.

I reformatted it and expanded the partition, reinstalled the software and started the machine back up.

I now have a healthy Synology server and didn't lose any of my files.

Thanks everybody for your help.