your picture show a 8  port syba controller SI-PEX40071

http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160

"...

Supports Port Multiplier FIS Based Switching or Command Based Switching

Marvell 88SM9705 chipset

..."

so its 88SM9705

http://www.marvell.com/documents/bbwogcndockcbnxejvpu/

and afaik synology blocks multipliers (they changed it 4 or 5 years ago? it coded into there kernel we use), only there own products (external enclosure) can use it

so atm you will have to buy a real 8 port controller or 2 x 4 port

there might be a way to enable multiplier if someone provides a patch for the synology kernel (a few years ago there was one by i cant find it anymore) but i guess thats not going to happen (i can't do this) - but as the ahci module is fixed compiled into the kernel (no module to load) it might be possible that even this is not going to work, its only possible if the multiplier code is in a kernel module we can compile and load after the kernel starts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

Ciao,

"88SE9705" non esiste

la tua immagine mostra un controller syba a 8 porte SI-PEX40071

http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160

" ...

Supporta il commutatore FIS basato su switch o commutatore basato su moltiplicatore di porta

Chipset Marvell 88SM9705

..."

quindi il suo 88SM9705

http://www.marvell.com/documents/bbwogcndockcbnxejvpu/

e afaik synology blocca i moltiplicatori (lo hanno cambiato 4 o 5 anni fa? ha codificato il kernel che usiamo), solo i propri prodotti (enclosure esterna) possono usarlo

quindi devi comprare un vero controller a 8 porte o 2 x 4 porte

potrebbe esserci un modo per abilitare il moltiplicatore se qualcuno fornisce una patch per il kernel di synology (qualche anno fa ce n'era uno da non riuscire più a trovarlo) ma immagino che non succederà (non posso farlo) - ma visto che il modulo ahci è stato compilato nel kernel (nessun modulo da caricare) potrebbe essere possibile che anche questo non funzioni, è possibile solo se il codice del moltiplicatore si trova in un modulo del kernel che possiamo compilare e caricare dopo che il kernel ha avviato

hello to me it works. but only the first 4 ports work

if the card is a normal 4 port controller and a 5 port multiplex chip in one card then you will see 4 sata ports (if multiplex does not work) and if multiplex does work you will have 3 ports plus 5 pots from the one with the multiplex behind it (88SM9705 is a 1to5 multiplex chip) so it sums up to 3+5=8 with multiplex and its just 4 without kind of the same as when you connect a external 1to5 multiplex to a eSATA port of a original synology (that port can do multiplex but only with synology hardware because of driver limitation) - i know because i've tried this with a 5-port enclosure years ago, i this case you only see the first disk so in your case the 4th port is more the 1st port of the multiplexer but thats just technical detail of no importance

if you remove the heatspreader you will find a 88SE9215 (the usual 4 port card chip) and 88SM9705 i guess

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if the card is a normal 4 port controller and a 5 port multiplex chip in one card then you will see 4 sata ports (if multiplex does not work) and if multiplex does work you will have 3 ports plus 5 pots from the one with the multiplex behind it (88SM9705 is a 1to5 multiplex chip) so it sums up to 3+5=8 with multiplex and its just 4 without kind of the same as when you connect a external 1to5 multiplex to a eSATA port of a original synology (that port can do multiplex but only with synology hardware because of driver limitation) - i know because i've tried this with a 5-port enclosure years ago, i this case you only see the first disk so in your case the 4th port is more the 1st port of the multiplexer but thats just technical detail of no importance

if you remove the heatspreader you will find a 88SE9215 (the usual 4 port card chip) and 88SM9705 i guess

It is terrible. With freenas I have 8 port with 8 volume . 

there must be a solution to have 8 volumes

What controller sata do you recommend to buy cheap good to have 8 ports on the 16x PCI?

Edited by simonexpenology

I guess you could say that any of the 'open source' Linux based NAS products are 'terrible' in one way or another, eg I've tried using Marvell mvsas based controllers in Nas4free, unsupported in FreeBSD! XPE/DSM has more 'quirks' than other systems because it's a 'hack' with an amount of synology controlled features embedded, but for me that's a small sacrifice to have the benefits of DSM and packages/features. There are dozens of known working controllers that work, so if DSM is the goal for you then maybe look for one of those?

well dsm/xpenology is a appliance and in some points restricted, imho best alternative when it comes to plugins/docker (ZFS based is not a real comparsion here, dsm does not have this) is open media vault (omv), looks nice and it still my fallback if dsm is not going to work for me, it can use the lvm/mdadm raids created from synology so you can boot up ant instantly use your data raid (i tested this with a raid6 from dsm, not tested with SHR raids)

you can still buy a used 8port controller

lot of people use sas2008/sas2108/sas2208/sas2308 based controllers flashed to it-firmware (it in this case means Initiator Target) there a tons of cheap ones from dell (perc h200), ibm, fujitsu, hp (Hxxx series)
sas3004/sas3008/sas3108 will work too and all of them are very reliable

also working with 6.1, 8-port and not too expansive
Marvell 88SE648x based like the HighPoint RocketRAID 2680
Marvell 88SE948x based like the HighPoint RocketRAID 2720
Adaptec HBA 1000-8i, (PMC chip based?)

a save bet are ahci compatible controllers, often used are marvell based ones (cheap) but they usualy come with 4 ports, dont know if there is a "real" 4+4 port marvel based controller (two 4 ports chips together linked by a pci-e bridge chip) they are possible (i think) but i cant remember if i ever saw one, i guess the costs for such tandem will be bigger or equal as the bigger marvel chips like 88SE9485

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

I guess you could say that any of the 'open source' Linux based NAS products are 'terrible' in one way or another, eg I've tried using Marvell mvsas based controllers in Nas4free, unsupported in FreeBSD! XPE/DSM has more 'quirks' than other systems because it's a 'hack' with an amount of synology controlled features embedded, but for me that's a small sacrifice to have the benefits of DSM and packages/features. There are dozens of known working controllers that work, so if DSM is the goal for you then maybe look for one of those?

I thought a simple driver would work out. how freenas works I think synologic can do it too. I wanted to reuse that card. which card do you recommend compatible? thank you

7 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

well dsm/xpenology is a appliance and in some points restricted, imho best alternative when it comes to plugins/docker (ZFS based is not a real comparsion here, dsm does not have this) is open media vault (omv), looks nice and it still my fallback if dsm is not going to work for me, it can use the lvm/mdadm raids created from synology so you can boot up ant instantly use your data raid (i tested this with a raid6 from dsm, not tested with SHR raids)

lot of people use sas2008/sas2108/sas2208/sas2308 based controllers flashed to it-firmware (it in this case means Initiator Target) there a tons of cheap ones from dell (perc h200), ibm, fujitsu, hp (Hxxx series)

a save bet are ahci compatible controllers, often used are marvell based ones (cheap) but they usualy come with 4 ports, dont know if there is a "real" 4+4 port marvel based controller (two 4 ports chips together linked by a pci-e bridge chip) they are possible (i think) but i cant remember if i ever saw one, i guess the costs for such tandem will be bigger or equal as the bigger marvel chips like 88SE9485

I'm not very capable. is there a cheap controller with 8 sata compatible? immediately working without making changes? thank you

thanks @polanskiman for restoring this to w new topic

On 2/12/2018 at 1:16 AM, simonexpenology said:

is there a cheap controller with 8 sata compatible? immediately working without making changes?

all controllers i mentioned where selected for "driver available" and "not to expansive"

the sas2x08/3x08, when bought used/cheap, usually need a different firmware, it you look for a ready one its "IT firmware" what you need

the rocket raid 2720sgl was new not that expansive <200$, the adaptec is new above 200$ but maybe can be found used for much less

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, IG-88 said:

hi again I have not solved. I would like to solve.

Help me I'm coming out crazy. I bought a card "Hewlett Packard Enterprise SmartArray P410  " without battery and without memory cache. The motherboard is an Asrock with integrated CPU (works with xpenology). When I start the PC, it tells me 18 SmartArray P410   initialization \\\ and restarts in loops

I need a simple, inexpensive solution that connects to the motherboard and works. I do not speak English well and I'm not very technical.

if I buy this?

https://www.amazon.it/SUPERMICRO-AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR-6Gbit-RAID-controller/dp/B003FVI4JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1534256612&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=sas+2108

or this?

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01M2AC40Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ADD8GDUWB40L7&amp;psc=1

(it's very expensive)

i connect  8 hdd

thank you

My suggestion is: use an IBM M1015 or Dell H200/H310 (these adapters I use by myself) flashed to IT-firmware. It's a little hard to read through the howto if you never made this before but it works for me for about 3 years now. :-)
Afterwards you get 8 internally usable ports which are recognised by DSM.

3 hours ago, Balrog said:

My suggestion is: use an IBM M1015 or Dell H200/H310 (these adapters I use by myself) flashed to IT-firmware. It's a little hard to read through the howto if you never made this before but it works for me for about 3 years now. :-)
Afterwards you get 8 internally usable ports which are recognised by DSM.

I can not flash, is not there a way to use? the card I posted “.SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR “  that you tell me?

I can not flash, is not there a way to use? the card I posted “.SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR “  that you tell me?
No, I don't know the card you posted.
I only want to give a hint which cards are working proved well.

This is the manual I used to flash:
https://techmattr.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode/

Of course as I said: it is hard if you never made such processes but I hope you get what I mean.

Maybe you can buy an already flashed Dell H200 in IT-Mode on eBay?
A quick search for "dell h200 it mode" gives me multiple results. Here a 2 examples where you can see what I mean:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H200-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/163142320696

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PERC-H200-SAS-Controller-IT-mode-2x-cable-SFF-8087-to-4x-SAS-SATA/123126065790

These cards are working (if they are in good condition of course).

1 hour ago, Balrog said:

No, I don't know the card you posted.
I only want to give a hint which cards are working proved well.

This is the manual I used to flash:
https://techmattr.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode/

Of course as I said: it is hard if you never made such processes but I hope you get what I mean.

Maybe you can buy an already flashed Dell H200 in IT-Mode on eBay?
A quick search for "dell h200 it mode" gives me multiple results. Here a 2 examples where you can see what I mean:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H200-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/163142320696

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PERC-H200-SAS-Controller-IT-mode-2x-cable-SFF-8087-to-4x-SAS-SATA/123126065790

These cards are working (if they are in good condition of course).

why do you need to flash? what is the use of the flash is the same for all types of card? maybe mine does not work for that? does it seem incompatible with bios or does it necessarily need a cache and a battery?

20 hours ago, simonexpenology said:
why do you need to flash? what is the use of the flash is the same for all types of card? maybe mine does not work for that? does it seem incompatible with bios or does it necessarily need a cache and a battery?

Sorry but you have to do your homework and read by yourself a little bit with the given information. In short: "in IT-Mode the HBA (this is the H200) exposes all connected harddisks as themselves to the operating system whereas the original firmware sums the harddisks up in, for example a raid 1 (mirror) and exposes this raid 1 to the operating system (which you don't want for the usage in DSM).

Best of luck to you.

12 hours ago, Balrog said:

Sorry but you have to do your homework and read by yourself a little bit with the given information. In short: "in IT-Mode the HBA (this is the H200) exposes all connected harddisks as themselves to the operating system whereas the original firmware sums the harddisks up in, for example a raid 1 (mirror) and exposes this raid 1 to the operating system (which you don't want for the usage in DSM).

Best of luck to you.

I tried and I'm a year now. my head is full and confused. can you help me ? thank you

if I take "dell h200 it mode" problem solved? I did not have to do anything besides the connection? thanks

On 2/12/2018 at 7:07 AM, IG-88 said:

one thing I did not understand, all go flash, or is there some card that does not need the flash?
If yes, which card should not be flashed to work? thank you

• 4 years later...

Just found something may be interesting to users of MARVELL SATA port multiplier.

I have a J1900 motherboard with 6 SATA ports, but only 4 are recognized in DSM 6.2.3. While in Windows 7, all 6 SATA ports are recognized.

I know that Synology have restricted some SATA support in newer DSM, but I don't know if older DSM can support all 6 SATA ports.

I just tried DSM 6.1.7-15284 and the SATA port (not recognized in DSM 6.2.3) is now recognized.

So, if any one has a problem with SATA port not recognized, maybe using older DSM is a solution.