XPEnology Community

Is one volume limited to 8 hard drives in Xpenology DS3615xs?

kyeung

Hi,

I am running ESXi 6.5.0 build 5310538 with Xpenology DS3615xs DSM 6.1.5-15254, Jun 1.02b loader.  I have two pass through RAID cards and currently using only 1 to connect 8 hdds (7x6TB + 1x8TB, all WD RED).  When I added the 9th drive (6TB WE RED) on the second RAID, I got the error "Operation failed because errors occurred with the file system" when I tried to expand the volume under the "RAID Group" tab in Storage Manager.  It seems that the system has limited the volume to 8 hdds even though the NAS can support up to 12.  Is this normal?  Or am I missing something in my configuration setup?

p.s. I could create a new RAID Group using the 9th drive so it seems that the drive hardware was not the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply IG-88.

When I check the "RAID Group" tab under "Storage Manager", I can see the RAID Type (SHR with 2 disks fault-tolerance), but I don't see "Limit max drive number in RAID".  Can you please show me where I can find that info?

from the link above

"...

A RAID Group for Multiple Volumes or iSCSI LUNs (Block-Level) which uses RAID 5, RAID 6, or RAID F1 may contain multiple RAID Arrays. Every RAID Array belonging to the same RAID Group will be the same RAID type (e.g. RAID 5, RAID 6, or RAID F1). The maximum disk number for each RAID Array can be 6, 12, or 24. You can set the maximum disk number while creating the RAID Group, and the number cannot be modified later. When a RAID Array has been assigned with the maximum number of disks, the next disk added to the RAID Group may be assigned to a new RAID Array. The new RAID Array must contain the minimum number of drives required for that specific RAID type (i.e., three drives for RAID 5 and RAID F1, and four drives for RAID 6).

..."

01.thumb.jpg.e0a8f6e5f123dde2462681e51a0b6d35.jpg

Thanks again IG-88.

Apparently the screen is different for SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) and it does not have the "Limit max drive number in RAID" option on that screen.  My SHR RAID volume was first set up under DSM 5.2 and migrated over to DSM 6.1 with the SHR support reinstated back in the config file.  I understand that Synology has official dropped SHR support in DSM 6.x and I'm thinking that this might be the reason why I could not add another disk to that legacy volume (even after the config file update).  If anyone has different experience in working with legacy SHR in DSM 6.x, please share your experience.  Thanks!

image.thumb.png.93c8320608252269fe91c306a8495958.png

3 hours ago, kyeung said:

I understand that Synology has official dropped SHR support in DSM 6.x and I'm thinking that this might be the reason why I could not add another disk to that legacy volume (even after the config file update).

afaik they have dropped it for business systems like the 3615/3617 by disabling int in the config, consumer systems like 916+ still have SHR by default and its still in the docu/help

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/volume_diskgroup_what_is_raid

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

in the kb example they use 10 disks and in the faq section they even expand to 15 disks so there is no 8 disk limit or anything like it and if there is not text in your screenshot about a limit can also be seen as "there is no limit"

Unfortunately my system is Xpenology DS3615xs, and I don't have the option to create SHR volume anymore (even with the SHR support activated through config file).  I still have >10TB available in my volume which should last me at least several more years, but it's kind of sad to realize that I can't add more drives to that volume.  On top of that, I'm not sure if the volume can even expand when I replace the existing 6TB drives with enough (at least 4) 8 or 10TB ones.