XPEnology Community

Migrate disks from DS214 to N54L

TGReaper

Hi there,

Been running a Synology 214 NAS for a couple of months but have now purchased a N54L.

Is it possible to install XPEnology on the N54L then using the software install the existing disks (RAID SHR) from the DS214 without loosing the data?

Just to avoid all the hassle of backing up and copying.

Tim

Hi there,

Been running a Synology 214 NAS for a couple of months but have now purchased a N54L.

Is it possible to install XPEnology on the N54L then using the software install the existing disks (RAID SHR) from the DS214 without loosing the data?

Just to avoid all the hassle of backing up and copying.

Tim

I am very interested in this question as well.

I have a DS213 that has two drives in it, running SHR so they are basically mirrored.

I am planning an ESXI 5.5 install on HP gen8 and running the drives in RDM mode. Can I install synology and then take one drive from the DS213 and map it as RDM and all my data should still be there?

I am very interested in this question as well.

I have a DS213 that has two drives in it, running SHR so they are basically mirrored.

I am planning an ESXI 5.5 install on HP gen8 and running the drives in RDM mode. Can I install synology and then take one drive from the DS213 and map it as RDM and all my data should still be there?

In theory you should be able to move your array from one synology model to another.

Since your array is raid 1 (mirrored), shouldn't you be able to just pull a disk and boot your current system off one (setting aside the other)? If that works, then you could probably just work with the 1 disk for testing purposes.

In theory you should be able to move your array from one synology model to another.

Since your array is raid 1 (mirrored), shouldn't you be able to just pull a disk and boot your current system off one (setting aside the other)? If that works, then you could probably just work with the 1 disk for testing purposes.

Hi, i've just migrated two disks from a D213J to a N54L Xpenology.

Don't have to install dsm first, just boot with the usb key and the disks in place and the Synology assistant will detect the N54L as "migratable". Then install DSM and everyting is fine :grin: .

Hi, i've just migrated two disks from a D213J to a N54L Xpenology.

Don't have to install dsm first, just boot with the usb key and the disks in place and the Synology assistant will detect the N54L as "migratable". Then install DSM and everyting is fine :grin: .

My disks are 2 x 2TB in SHR but I dont see any reason why this should not work using the same method as i believe it is software raid. I will back up the data to another disk then attempt the migration at least then we will no for definite if it works. As there is 790gb of data stored it might take some time.

My disks are 2 x 2TB in SHR but I dont see any reason why this should not work using the same method as i believe it is software raid. I will back up the data to another disk then attempt the migration at least then we will no for definite if it works. As there is 790gb of data stored it might take some time.