XPEnology Community

Shares re-added, EVERYTHING GONE? HELP!

josephnv

Hi,

So I had a power cut earlier today and it messed some of my configuration on my HP N54L Microserver up. I had to run a series of tests on my disks before DSM would let me use them.

Once it was all done, and everything was fine again, I noticed my shares weren't showing up over SMB or AFP. So, I went into "shared folders" and deleted the shares and added them again.

I thought that had fixed it, since I could then get access to everything again. It wasn't until a few minutes later that I noticed the hard drives were whirring like mad. I went into Storage Manager and saw that the disks had totally EMPTIED THEMSEVLES!

What on earth?! In Windows and any other software I have EVER used, "shares" are just paths to the actual files on the hard drives. Deleting a "share" doesn't touch the actual physical storage. What on earth has happened here?!

As soon as I realised, I pulled all the hard drives out of the server by hand.

There's 6TB of storage at stake here, I was nominated by our family to keep hold of all our beloved photos and videos et cetera, where the hell have they all gone?!

Before I try to recover the data using Recuva or something similar, is there anything easier I can try? Thanks for any help you gan give me in advance.

Joseph.

Hi,

So I had a power cut earlier today and it messed some of my configuration on my HP N54L Microserver up. I had to run a series of tests on my disks before DSM would let me use them.

Once it was all done, and everything was fine again, I noticed my shares weren't showing up over SMB or AFP. So, I went into "shared folders" and deleted the shares and added them again.

I thought that had fixed it, since I could then get access to everything again. It wasn't until a few minutes later that I noticed the hard drives were whirring like mad. I went into Storage Manager and saw that the disks had totally EMPTIED THEMSEVLES!

What on earth?! In Windows and any other software I have EVER used, "shares" are just paths to the actual files on the hard drives. Deleting a "share" doesn't touch the actual physical storage. What on earth has happened here?!

As soon as I realised, I pulled all the hard drives out of the server by hand.

There's 6TB of storage at stake here, I was nominated by our family to keep hold of all our beloved photos and videos et cetera, where the hell have they all gone?!

Before I try to recover the data using Recuva or something similar, is there anything easier I can try? Thanks for any help you gan give me in advance.

Joseph.