XPEnology Community

Better CPU power management - Is it possible?

mff

XPEnology would be my 1st choice NAS platform for Desktop PC if ther wasn't the high idle power consumption related to Windows platform.

I tested AsRock H87MPro4 + i3 4130 + 4GB RAM + 2x2TB 3,5"HDD.

XPEnology 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0)

Normal ~30W

idle ~25W

same system with WHS2011

Normal ~20W

idle ~12W

Main thing as far as I know are the intel RST and GPU drivers and of course the cpu handling for C-states under Windows OS.

Is there any chance to get better CPU power handling out of the xpenology OS?

mff

XPEnology would be my 1st choice NAS platform for Desktop PC if ther wasn't the high idle power consumption related to Windows platform.

I tested AsRock H87MPro4 + i3 4130 + 4GB RAM + 2x2TB 3,5"HDD.

XPEnology 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0)

Normal ~30W

idle ~25W

same system with WHS2011

Normal ~20W

idle ~12W

Main thing as far as I know are the intel RST and GPU drivers and of course the cpu handling for C-states under Windows OS.

Is there any chance to get better CPU power handling out of the xpenology OS?

mff

Here's the config, these are under ACPI Kconfig.

#
# shared options
#
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB is not set
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_MENU=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y

#
# Memory power savings
#
CONFIG_I7300_IDLE_IOAT_CHANNEL=y
CONFIG_I7300_IDLE=y

Here's the config, these are under ACPI Kconfig.

#
# shared options
#
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB is not set
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y

#
# Memory power savings
#
CONFIG_I7300_IDLE=y

Thank you gnoboot :grin:

@mff:

These options are already enabled:

CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y

I will enabled remaning options

CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y

CONFIG_I7300_IDLE=y

Very nice. This is just what I've been looking at for the last few days. I've been able to shave 18 watts from my system by changing BIOS settings (CPU detune and reduce the CPU core voltage) as well as removing 2 RAM sticks (2.7w each and don't really see an issue with RAM usage in the DSM monitor- 13% instead of 7%). Unless I change to a 45 watt CPU (and detune) or a Haswell setup I don't think I'm going to get much better. But I think this acceptable: a trade-off of using old parts against any power savings I would see for the $$ shelled out on new hardware.

But 12w? Even 25Watts? Wow- that's impressive. I'm at 72w with 6 disks under load. I also have a Synology CS 406 to measure against, which is 40-42w idle and 52 watts actually doing some work (transmission files seeding and serving an M2TS movie to the TV at the same time). Given how much more responsive the Xpenology is vs. the 406 (or even the 411 I have), I'll accept the extra $6/month. Still, makes me want to check the operating wattage of an 1812+ a friend has.

Thank you gnoboot :grin:

@mff:

These options are already enabled:

CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y

I will enabled remaning options

CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y

CONFIG_I7300_IDLE=y

Very nice. This is just what I've been looking at for the last few days. I've been able to shave 18 watts from my system by changing BIOS settings (CPU detune and reduce the CPU core voltage) as well as removing 2 RAM sticks (2.7w each and don't really see an issue with RAM usage in the DSM monitor- 13% instead of 7%). Unless I change to a 45 watt CPU (and detune) or a Haswell setup I don't think I'm going to get much better. But I think this acceptable: a trade-off of using old parts against any power savings I would see for the $$ shelled out on new hardware.

But 12w? Even 25Watts? Wow- that's impressive. I'm at 72w with 6 disks under load. I also have a Synology CS 406 to measure against, which is 40-42w idle and 52 watts actually doing some work (transmission files seeding and serving an M2TS movie to the TV at the same time). Given how much more responsive the Xpenology is vs. the 406 (or even the 411 I have), I'll accept the extra $6/month. Still, makes me want to check the operating wattage of an 1812+ a friend has.

• 6 months later...