XPEnology Community

Reinstall synoboot -Existing hdd data okay?

old

Okay, I had a sweet sweet XPEnology rig running for a year or so, when I thought I'd add an intel pci ethernet card and deactivate the on board realtek. I plugged in the new lan card and fired the server back up. That lost connectivity from both the new lan card and also the on board realtek (set to active in bios of course.) Yes, noob mistake. I removed the lan card, made sure bios was reporting the correct mac address for the onboard card but still no connectivity. Also, no more image from the VGA out port on the motherboard (not past BIOS). (It used to give information as things loaded.) I unplugged all the hdd's and the synoboot USB, and still no image after the American? Megatrends? BIOS logo flashes on the screen. But if I then plug in the old Windows Home Server USB image, it shows up fine on the monitor as it attempts to load Windows.

My question is, if I try to reload the same version of XPEnology onto a new USB stick, do you think the existing files on my 4 HDD's might still be intact? Again, sorry for the noob question. Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I haven't had time to reinstall yet. What I wanted to ask now is, can I reinstall version DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2) over my existing failed version XPEnology DS3612xs - DSM 4.2 build 3202? Or do you think I should just stick to the old version? Same question, Will my Syno Raid array still be okay even if I change the DSM build number? Does anyone know? As always, any help greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I finally got around to trying to reinstall DSM 4.2 build 3202. I tried one last time to boot up using the old usb stick and it booted up just fine! (with one degraded drive - now repairing) Well I'm taking this as a lessons learned - I'm never poking around inside my server without making sure I don't accidentally ground the mobo pins against the case or produce static shock. (At least when it's cold outside and warm indoors.) And from now on, I'm going to backup my config, not just my irreplaceable data. I'll read through the forums when it's time for me to upgrade; I'll see if I can figure it out without having to post. Wish me luck!!!!

Oh and I still need to figure out how to add my Intel ethernet card without fouling things up. I'll have to try that another day.