XPEnology Community

Esxi or not on N54L ?

coolboy7369

Question

Hello guys,

I'm going to receive my new N54L tomorrow, i have some questions :

- Should i use Xpenology with Esxi or "native" installation ? What's de pro/cons of each solution ? Besides the possibility to install multiple OS with Vmware ? I will put a 4gb G.skill low profile in it so i have the ram requirements.

- The USB key needs to be always plugged with native installation, with Esxi too ?

- I will have 3x3Tb Seagate NAS HDD to start, i'll use SHR so it'll be a RAID5, should i remove the 250gb default drive or keep it ? Can i choose where the OS installation is done or is it automatic ?

Thanks.

ESXi requires a lot more powerful hardware to run if I'm not making a mistake.

Inside ESXi, use RDM to map your physical drivers that are previously used on your XPEnology may work, but remember to backup your data in case of data lose. Do it at your own risk.

RDM can only be done manually through console, you can find some guide by Google.

so quick update here

My 250go which was included with the server died with my datastore, so... no more xpenology; fortunately, my data are safe on the 3tb drive; but no more NAS (Data disks were in rem)

i'm looking for a more reliable solution to keep the VM; instead of the 250 mechanical drive, i'm thinking at:

- SSD

- using a iSCSI/LUN on another NAS i have a spare part

anybody has a good solution? or make some king of raid with two 250 mechanicals?