XPEnology Community

Bios checksum error - only when startup schedule is enabled

snoopy78

Hello,

currently i'm facing an issue with DSM 4.3180 Beta 5 HBA.

Mainboard: Supermicro X8SIL-F

CP: Quad Xeon X3430

RAM: 8 GB

HBA: LSI 9201-16i

NIC: HP NC523SFP (10Gbe)

Boot = USB

onboard DATA 5 = Sandisk SSD 128 GB (Volume 1, System)

13x HDD connected to HBA

As soon as i create & enable automatic startup schedule [control pannel => hardware => power schedule] of my new Sytem i'll get every time when i boot the "CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR" which causes the system to hold and wait for F1=setup or F2=def. settings

When i continue with default settings (press F2) the system wil boot up fine, however after next reboot the same error comes again.

Did you guys saw this issue too? How to solve it?

I really would love to use that feature for energy/noise saving..

BR

snoopy78

that's why this mainboard has intigrated ipkvm, since my last hp server with iLo i really love that thing

even the SM's IPKVM is different from HP's iLo i can do everything to the machine (power on from off state :wink: )

but back to topic...

as i read more there are some ways in linux to add a specific startup time one is using "ACPI" and the other one is "NVRAM wakeup".

i'm going to check this behavior a some more, but from what i did read so far, this could be the cause.

br

snoopy78

Hi,

The other thing you might try is to use the built in scheduler in Synology to put the machine to sleep, but use your router (if you have a DD-WRT capable router or another that allows this) to schedule wake up times.

It seems like it's the WOL event coming from the Synology that causes the BIOS corruption (at least on my Zotac ION Atom board). I can put the machine to sleep from the DSM interface and send it magic packets externally to wake it up with no problem.

Frank

Hi,

Router is not working as i'm using a dsr-1000n which doesn't support WoL sending.

Also it's good to know that i'm not the only one with this issue occuring :roll:

I currently TRY to check if the bios internal Wake on Event is working. There i can at least define one time (in UTC format) where the device should start. [i'll report about that later..]

also i checked the "rtcwake" but it's not working as there is no /dev/rtc0. :roll:

MAYBE on of the developers (like Trantor) could have a look how exactely the integrated scheduler works, also see if we maybe could get the "rtcwake" up and running.

Additionally i wrote the Supermicro support, let's see how they react and if they're willing to help me..

BR

snoopy78