XPEnology Community

Help:Re-Install DSM5.0, storage lost, any way to recover?

deerjb

Hi,

Previously I have installed DSM5.0 on N40L, worked fine except the photostation. Then I try to install the DSM5.0 beta version listed here. I use "recover factory configuration" to install again this version.

But after the installation, the storage volume all lost, and the disk is in "Not initiated" state.

I tried to use UBUNTU to recover the data, but Ubuntu cannot recognize my data disk.

Is there any way to recover the data on the disk? I have not created any disk volume in the new DSM5.0 version. The data section in the disc should be still complete?

Thanks a lot for any hints.

Edited by Guest

If you have an array linux is not automatically going to see your data, you'd need to manually assemble the array. It makes it even harder if your partition info got destroyed.

Here's my adventures in recovering a lost array due to wiped partition info: http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/foun ... t2600.html

If your partition info is intact, it should be a lot easier than what I went through.

Good luck!

are partition tables intact, or lost and able to be found with testdisk?

If they are lost, but can be found with testdisk, you either have to write corrected partition info, or use losetup to create loop devices based on info testdisk found. If you can restore the correct partition info you should be able to boot DSM with your array, if you can't you'll need to recreate the array in linux using losetup and pull all your data off.

I'm no expert. I learned by trial and error and help from people on testdisk forums.

Thanks for your suggestion, I am also a totally amateur.

Test disk can recognize this is a Diskstation patition. But there is no patition table. I tried to write the patition table and plug into DSM, but still the data cannot be recognized. I guess I need to use software like UFS explorer data recovery to recover the data, is that right? Or testdisk can do something more?

Test disk can recognize this is a Diskstation patition. But there is no patition table. I tried to write the patition table and plug into DSM, but still the data cannot be recognized. I guess I need to use software like UFS explorer data recovery to recover the data, is that right? Or testdisk can do something more?

If the drives were in an array other than raid 1, then you need to reassemble the array before you can get any data off them. I could be wrong but I don't think any of those data recovery programs can assemble a broken synology array.

Synology data arrays consists of several physical partitions on each drive. sda5, sdb5, sdc5, ect. then software raid 5 of those partitions, becomes md2. Then on top of raid5 is LVM, which is your volume (volume1).

best bet is to backup the current drives (just in case you mess them up further), and take your time learning and trying stuff. I spent a long time researching trying to learn about how all this works, and I'm still noob. I also got lots of help from someone on Testdisk forums by the name of Remy.

edit: here is partition info from my array of 4 x 2TB disks. These files were created from a Parted Magic live CD. Just figured I'd give you an example of what the partition tables should look like, and what linux sees of a working array. I know this doesn't help you much at the moment, but if and when you get your data back, dump your partition info of working disks. It's good to have backups just incase, which is why I just created them for my disks, since I plan to try to upgrade my array from DSM 4.2 to 5 at some point... and who knows what might happen heh

here's a link on how to dump partition info http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192598

my partition info for example http://www.datafilehost.com/d/b3e6b016

Hi,

If the drives were in an array other than raid 1, then you need to reassemble the array before you can get any data off them. I could be wrong but I don't think any of those data recovery programs can assemble a broken synology array.

Synology data arrays consists of several physical partitions on each drive. sda5, sdb5, sdc5, ect. then software raid 5 of those partitions, becomes md2. Then on top of raid5 is LVM, which is your volume (volume1).

best bet is to backup the current drives (just in case you mess them up further), and take your time learning and trying stuff. I spent a long time researching trying to learn about how all this works, and I'm still noob. I also got lots of help from someone on Testdisk forums by the name of Remy.

edit: here is partition info from my array of 4 x 2TB disks. These files were created from a Parted Magic live CD. Just figured I'd give you an example of what the partition tables should look like, and what linux sees of a working array. I know this doesn't help you much at the moment, but if and when you get your data back, dump your partition info of working disks. It's good to have backups just incase, which is why I just created them for my disks, since I plan to try to upgrade my array from DSM 4.2 to 5 at some point... and who knows what might happen heh

here's a link on how to dump partition info http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192598

Fortunately I did not configure any RAID, it is in a standalone state. And I also have a same backup disk with a same capacity(2TB) in a good state, will it help to dump the pation info?

Hi,

Fortunately I did not configure any RAID, it is in a standalone state. And I also have a same backup disk with a same capacity(2TB) in a good state, will it help to dump the pation info?

If you didn't have raid setup, you can probably recover data with software. should be alot easier than a raid array.

edit: if backup disk is same exact, and the disk was a direct image of the messed up one, then you could probably dump it's partition structure and apply it to your messed up disk. Backup messed up disk's partition just in case though.

• 1 year later...

If you didn't have raid setup, you can probably recover data with software. should be alot easier than a raid array.

edit: if backup disk is same exact, and the disk was a direct image of the messed up one, then you could probably dump it's partition structure and apply it to your messed up disk. Backup messed up disk's partition just in case though.

Hi Diverge,

I did not make it last year and let the disk stay there for almost one year. Recently I try to find some new solutions and want to get some suggestion.

I tried R-Studio software, it can find some of the lost files, but not with a structured index. And even some of the recoved files is corrupted. So this way is also not useful.

The backup disk I mentioned is a disk with same capacity but with different content, it is not a direct image of the messed up one. Is it helpful to dump the partiontion structure?

B.R.