XPEnology Community

BEGINNER - XPEnology on N54L

lscangus

Helllo everyone! I have just got my N54L there are a few questions which I want to ask and want your comments and suggestions! I have read the BIOS hack and also the installation guide for XPEnology.

1. I want to install XPEnology. I have found the installation guide, but not the upgrade guide? Will it be possible to upgrade on the fly?

2. RAID. I am thinking of getting 3X3TB for a RAID 5 setup. and later expand to 4X3TB on the fly. I wonder if it is better to do a Software RAID in XPEnology or should i get a RAID card to do so?

3. If it is the software RAID. Will it be easy to lost all the data during a XPEnology upgrade? as the RAID table is stored in the USB stick.

4. If hardware RAID, which RAID card is support? Where can i get the supported list?

Thanks everyone for contributing!

I wouldn't over complicate things and just use SHR as it offers the best balance of usability and redundancy.

I have used Linux RAID for many years and have found it to be reliable and on the N54l is is fast enough to saturate a gbit network so is not a bottleneck.

Just a note though, I'm pretty sure the USB only has the boot partition so all RAID config is stored on each disk along with the OS.

Thanks for the reply antony!

What you mean is the XPEnology is stored on the USB drive, and then the partition table will be on all drive? So even the USB drive is damaged, the data will still be intact? Is this the correct understanding?

Xpenology is the Linux OS and this is stored in the 300Mb reserved partition on the disk I believe.

The USB stick I guess is a replacement for some form of NAND in an actual Synology device to boot and can be removed after Xpenology has booted so it cannot contain the OS.

If the USB is corrupted you would be able to re-image it and access your data.

Backing up your vender file would be a good idea or even keep an image of the working USB.