XPEnology Community

I got Plex working on DSM5 Beta

TheLegendOfMart

Anyone having problems with Plex:

Install it manually for Plexpass 0.9.9 or via Package Centre.

Login via SSH

cd /
cd /var/packages/Plex\ Media\ Server/scripts/
./start-stop-status start

It should give the following error:

Starting Plex ...
su: can't chdir to home directory '/var/services/homes/plex'
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem::filesystem_error'
 what():  boost::filesystem::create_directories: Permission denied: "/volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server"
ln: /usr/syno/synoman/webman/3rdparty/plex: File exists

Do the following:

cd /
cd /volume1
mkdir Plex
chown plex Plex

Go back to /var/packages/Plex\ Media\ Server/scripts/ and run ./start-stop-status start

It should show a load of permission denied

Login to webmanager go to control panel in Users > Advanced, enable "Enable user home service"

Then load Filestation go into the Plex folder right click Library and set owner as plex and group as administrators.

run "./start-stop-status start" and Plex should load, login to Plex and set it up, go back to ssh and run "./start-stop-status stop"

Then go to web manager, package centre and you should be able to start and stop Plex fine now.

I know nothing about linux, command lines, etc.. so there is possibly an easier way to do this but these are the steps I did and it works for me.

When I try to mkdir Plex i get the following permission error:

Server> mkdir Plex
mkdir: can't create directory 'Plex': Permission denied

I SSH'd to the the server via Terminal on a Mac using the the default 'admin' user and password that I created during initial DSM setup. I looked into the Users section of the Control Panel in DSM and it appears the 'admin' user is as privileged as can be...

New to XPEnology (just got my N54L today), any help appreciated. Thanks.

you can just setup a folder "Plex" in the file station and set user permissons under "users" (read-write permission for user plex for the Plex folder. Absolutely no need to use ssh for this or to use the start-stop procedure.

I had the same issue (plex not running), I installed the latest plex package manually (plex pass required), and added Plex folder and subfolders (as they would have been set up automatically using the 4.3 or lower version).

Apparently in the beta 5 version the Plex folder and subfolders are not setup automatically when installing the plex package, thats why the package doesnt run.

If you skip the subfolders (as displayed below), Plex package might run, but in my case the videos (in transcode mode) didn't play with a client (M3U8 error). They only played when adding the transcode subfolder.

Like this:

Clipboard01.jpg.1a97e67cb6b952b0c420df118b777ec4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone i done everything that everyone done i think, this is error i get :???::???::???:

Starting Plex ...

./start-stop-status: line 86: /usr/syno/sbin/synoshare: Permission denied

su: must be suid to work properly

plex service will not start. hope we can sovle this :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
hi everyone i done everything that everyone done i think, this is error i get :???::???::???:

Starting Plex ...

./start-stop-status: line 86: /usr/syno/sbin/synoshare: Permission denied

su: must be suid to work properly

plex service will not start. hope we can sovle this :grin:

Hi there,

I'm having exactly same problem. Don't know how to log in as a super user, only as an admin.

I've made also folders as suggested below, permissions to read/write and it still doesn't work. I'm sure I'm missing something, I'll keep trying...

Capturadepantalla2014-03-22ales224811_zps19164f74.png

Got it!

The way to access via ssh as a "su" is using "root" as a user, and your password.

Then, you can follow easily what's on the first post of this thread.

I guess if you're familiar with linux it is something elemental, but if you're not (like me) it can be hard to find out.

I'm starting in this forum, by the way. I'll try to do my best, you're doing a great job here. Thanks!