XPEnology Community

Couple newbie questions..hardware? software?

EvanVanVan

I just bought parts to build a server, will I be able to install XPEnology's DSM on it? The major parts are:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2

Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11K4/32

WD 3TB RED

I bought that stuff particularly with FreeNAS in mind, but than found out I might be able to use this modified Synology DSM instead. I've got two Synology NAS's already, so I'm more comfotable with DSM than learning FreeNAS/FreeBSD from scratch.

My other questions are: How safe if your data compared to an original Synology NAS? One of things making me a little nervous about FreeNAS, is that as safe as it's supposed to keep your data, it seems relatively easy to lose it because of hardware screwups. For instance, a power failure (although I do have a UPS I will hook up), booting up with a hard drive unplugged can corrupt your data permanently. Are these problems possible with this modified DSM as well? (They probably are present in an original Synology NAS also, but the hands off approach of the official NAS, minimizes some of those problems.)

Along those same lines, how easy is it to add drives and expand the RAID volume? My original plan was to build a server, than save money on storage and upgrade as I continually filled it up. FreeNAS doesn't really allow that to happen. Official Synology NAS's do. Can I gradually add more (3TB) hard drives and will this modified DSM expand correctly? Is your data at risk of loss during this whole process?

Thanks, and I guess the first question might make the rest of them null and void, but I'd still be interested to know.

Along those same lines, how easy is it to add drives and expand the RAID volume? My original plan was to build a server, than save money on storage and upgrade as I continually filled it up. FreeNAS doesn't really allow that to happen. Official Synology NAS's do. Can I gradually add more (3TB) hard drives and will this modified DSM expand correctly? Is your data at risk of loss during this whole process?

Not any different when official Synology DSM. If you use SHR you will be able to expand/convert data. Your data is always at risk, no matter what NAS you are using. Back it up regularly and then back up again.

It may be possible to expand your RAID (not SHR) too, but requires complete understanding of what your are doing and manual intervention with Linux commands. SHR with LVM on top of underlining software RAID, just makes it easier in some scenarios with Visual interface.