XPEnology Community

Is XPEnology stable enough for production environment?

intelligence

Would you consider XPEnology stable enough to use in production?

I just got a new NAS and installed Openmediavault on it. It's great, but I still miss the ease of DSM.

Would you guys feels safe running DSM natively installed on your NAS?

Of course I'll backup my most essential data with Crashplan or something similar, but still, it's no fun having your system collapse.

If the OS would fail, will my data still be intact and be able to be saved if I reinstall or use another OS to access the data?

Man, I don't know what you understand by "production" but for me, a home user with advanced IT needs(sarcasm) it's miraculously working since 1y with no failure, although that I played a lot with my 4x3TB raid5 xpenology box. I would have had 365+ days of uptime if it weren't those maintenance a where I upgraded the software. So stability yes. Compatibility yes but Support is best effort.

Good luck

Would you consider XPEnology stable enough to use in production?

I just got a new NAS and installed Openmediavault on it. It's great, but I still miss the ease of DSM.

Would you guys feels safe running DSM natively installed on your NAS?

Of course I'll backup my most essential data with Crashplan or something similar, but still, it's no fun having your system collapse.

If the OS would fail, will my data still be intact and be able to be saved if I reinstall or use another OS to access the data?

If your data is worth the cost of an real Synology DS and you have no idea what you're doing, you should get a real DS. It's up to you to to know and ret the risk, since it's your data that will get lost. So if you're not 100% aware of what are the risks, get a real DS.

i'm just consolidating my storages..

currently i'm running 1x TS-509Pro (5x1,5 TB Raid5), 1x TS-412 (4x2 TB Raid 5) and 1x DS-1812+ (8x3 TB Raid 6).

So my new system is a Supermicro SC836 chassis and an X8SIL-F mb with x3550 cpu and 8 gb ram & 10G NIC.

All HDDs from the QNAPs are moving into that chassis (including 3x WD Red 4 TB) and i'm setting up SHR for 5x 1,5 , 5x 2 and 3x4 TB (so having 3 volumes so far)

Both of my Qnaps are going to retire and move into my familys use. My DS-1812+ will become my backup while the new SC836 is becomming main storgage.

How to say, for now i've got it stable up and running using Trantors 4.3 v5 HBA version.

But as we all know, RAID is NOT a Backup! So i will surely keep a backup on my real DS-1812+.

But what do you mean with production enviroment? If you're a company you should by the real thing, but for us private users that's a cheap and good way to get a lovely performant diskstation.. :mrgreen:

p.s. before i upgrade or migrate the "live" system of course i do have a small HP-ML310 server for testing, that's what you pay for when you buy the real thing.. support & testing..

By "production" I mean using it as your main storage without any other system to actually backup every bit of data from that NAS. I reckon I should make backups of the most crucial data (photos, documents and other irreplaceables) to a separate hard drive once a week and maybe get crashplan for the same data.

But the other data such as ripped movies and music, will it's not crucial, it would be quite annoying to lose it. That's why I'm wondering how you feel about XPEnology's stability and how much you actually trust it with your data.

Of course I realize that getting a real Synology would be better, but it simply wasn't a choice this time as there no SoHo solution from Synology that can match the performance of my custom build. I want to be able to transcode multiple video streams via Plex etc. I've had my DS409 since 2009, without any hickups at all and I'm wondering if I can expect the same from a XPEnology run device.

As I see it, DSM will keep getting more polished over the years to come, but I don't see any major addition in the future that would motivate me to risk anything by updating the firmware. So if I'd run XPEnology I think it'd let it sit on DSM 5 indefinitely.