XPEnology Community

Mediasmart booting issue

djelusion

Hi All not sure if this was ever discussed, but I noticed ont he mediasmart ex487 series synology does not work like the other mediasmart I have.

Can load the usb key, but never boots if a drive is plugged into the nas. So as my bootleg remedy is to have no devices connected and then power on the nas, wait about 20 seconds and then plugin my hdd then some how xpenology works. Now what am I missing?. I looked in the grub.conf

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title DSM 4.3-3810 - v1.0

root (hd0,0)

vender /vender show

hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs

initrd /rd.gz

Looks just like the other system I have that boots fine without having to unplug all my drives. So what am I missing???. I was even able to update to DSM 4.3-3810 - Update 4. Any advice is much appreciated.

Update: This might be why it doesnt boot back to a hardDisk see attached

593ef3afaba33_synoissuebooting.JPG.aff06c5f7ea45a186b9c74d0958534a6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
bump!. does anyone know??. or have a suggestion?. this is one of the most annoying problems ive ever encountered. and this forum seems like nobody is alive or its a dead ass community with no fucks given.

Hello!

I've been stumbling on the same problem before. My solution was to let the system run clear scan. It's the only solution I unfortunately can think of.

bump!. does anyone know??. or have a suggestion?. this is one of the most annoying problems ive ever encountered. and this forum seems like nobody is alive or its a dead ass community with no fucks given.

Hello!

I've been stumbling on the same problem before. My solution was to let the system run clear scan. It's the only solution I unfortunately can think of.

Hello!

hey there thanks for the reply, I am working with a headless system meaning theres no vga monitor. So im guessing in the dark when it boots up. I wonder if anyone else has a mediasmart server that can chime in..

no point getting mad and other users here

As I pointed out to you in another thread

I have 2 x EX490's which have the same weirdness

Tho they do work once up and going

you might be best with a USB stick with an activity LED on it so you can watch whats going on

Place USB stick in lower rear USB port

Boot without drives inserted

Once you see usb activity (eg booting) push HDD's in and wait

Connect with synology asistant when it comes alive.

Pull out USB stick

install PAT file

when you see it rebooting

push usb stick back in

if it doesn't work, pull hdd's again and reboot with usb stick in

wait for USB activity

push HDD's back in

see if it comes up as installed.

if so, go to storage manager and remove your storage volume. (eg destroy it) and then remake it

Wait for it to finish 100%

then see f it will reboot by itself with usb and hdd's inserted.

failing that spend $30 and get a keyboard video mouse cable off ebay so you can watch whats going one and or change bios boot settings.

$30 is a cheap Synology :wink:

no point getting mad and other users here

As I pointed out to you in another thread

I have 2 x EX490's which have the same weirdness

Tho they do work once up and going

you might be best with a USB stick with an activity LED on it so you can watch whats going on

Place USB stick in lower rear USB port

Boot without drives inserted

Once you see usb activity (eg booting) push HDD's in and wait

Connect with synology asistant when it comes alive.

Pull out USB stick

install PAT file

when you see it rebooting

push usb stick back in

if it doesn't work, pull hdd's again and reboot with usb stick in

wait for USB activity

push HDD's back in

see if it comes up as installed.

if so, go to storage manager and remove your storage volume. (eg destroy it) and then remake it

Wait for it to finish 100%

then see f it will reboot by itself with usb and hdd's inserted.

failing that spend $30 and get a keyboard video mouse cable off ebay so you can watch whats going one and or change bios boot settings.

$30 is a cheap Synology :wink:

here's the thing I got synology installed. Booting is the fun part. on the ex485 i have to have the usb unplugged then plug it in after 15-20 seconds in order for synology to boot up. otherwise it never even bothers with the usb. ive tried 3 different usb keys. so there's some kind of boot order thats fubared. now with the ex490 that thing is a true beast, i don't have to do nothing it boots up like a champ. just the ex485 that puzzles me