XPEnology Community

System disk, which one?

lev

hi all

My microserver comes with 250GB drive, should I try to install xpenology on this disk or it's important to use usb flash drive or ssd for this? I've seen that there's a problem with spin down, is this an actual problem or it's already fixed?

thanks

thanks!

and what about hdd spin down problem some people were facing? Someone mentioned that if you install OS on hdd or on ssd, disks will spin down automatically to save power, otherwise you have to remove the flash drive after booting.

So would it make sense to install from a USB stick and use a dedicated small SSD as 'system drives' - to install all the applications/packages?

This way, whenever there is a reinstall or whatever, all settings and applications of DSM would be on the SSD, independent from the Storage HDDs.

Also, would there be any performance increase suing a small SSD as system drive?

Just install it on USB and run a script after DSM loads. This way HDD's go into sleep mode. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&start=340.

Thanks for the pointer on this. I figured out my USB drive name (parted --list) and ran from the command line.

Question: If I auto-run this script after booting, would I need to disable the script and reboot in order to upgrade (ex. from 4.3 rev3 to 4.3 rev4) or to change parameters of the DSM (such as updating/adding new packages, adding shares, etc.)?

Thx.

• 2 weeks later...