XPEnology Community

How to update existing DSM

yaqushi

Hi there,

new here, its a great project. I have been reading couple of threads, and have a question for the update procedure:

Once DSM 4.3 is installed via real USB stick (no VMWare) on dedicated server, how do you guys update the DSM version? The inbuild software update in the DSM GUI does not work (this was mentioned before here), but I cannot figure out how to update to a newer version. E.g. when downloading a pat file from DSM and trying to do manual update using the DSM GUI, error message with "error 2" occurs. If I try to patch a new USB stick, the Synology Assistant tells me that system is running already, there is no option to install a new pat file.

Hope someone can clarify this quickly on how to update a new pat file.

Cheers,

Y.

Hi there,

new here, its a great project. I have been reading couple of threads, and have a question for the update procedure:

Once DSM 4.3 is installed via real USB stick (no VMWare) on dedicated server, how do you guys update the DSM version? The inbuild software update in the DSM GUI does not work (this was mentioned before here), but I cannot figure out how to update to a newer version. E.g. when downloading a pat file from DSM and trying to do manual update using the DSM GUI, error message with "error 2" occurs. If I try to patch a new USB stick, the Synology Assistant tells me that system is running already, there is no option to install a new pat file.

Hope someone can clarify this quickly on how to update a new pat file.

Cheers,

Y.

Hi, what kind of update you intend? if you want update for exampe from 4.3-3810 to 4.3-3810 update 1, search on forum howto, if you want update from 4.3 to 5.0 beta, may you cant, not all packages from 4.3 are available for 5.0, so, you can break your sistem.

I have updated 4.3-3810 to 5.0-4418 .... following this steps:

01. Download DSM 5.0-4418 from http://xpenology.trantor.be/xpenology.com/417d8593b25892172333cbd43a428d6a/52e78fb7/XPEnology_DS3612xs_5.0_BETA.7z

02. Extract the file

03. Burn img file with this program https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8476146/qnology/win32diskimager-binary06.rar

04. Eject the USB

05. Shutdown Synology

06. Exchange USB Flash drive with new one ( 5.0-4418 )

07. Power on Synology & DSM will boot normally

08. Launch Synology Assistant on your second PC

09. Click 'Search'

10. If you've done everything correctly you'll see a new 'DiskStation' has been found.

11. Disconnect the USB flash drive from the Synology for this next step

12. Right-click on new 'DiskStation' and choose 'Install'

13. Browse and select the new downloaded version (5.0-4418.pat)

14. Choose a Name for the DiskStation, a new default admin password and IP configuration

15. After installation is complete the DiskStation will reboot automatically.

16. Turn OFF Synology manually now

17. Isert the same USB Flash drive ( 5.0-4418) back into Synology

18. Power on Synology & DSM will boot normally

19. In Synology Assistant click 'Search' again

20. Depending on the name and network config you chose during installation you will see now a DiskStation has been found with the NAME you chose

Probably many of you know that already, but still ...

Thanks for the detailed steps. Will updated 4.2 v 1.2 to 5.0 beta work as well?

Will all my data be preserved, or will I have to restore from a backup (I use Time Backup)?

If 5.0 fails for me, can I swap my old 4.2 USB key back and get everything back?

I have updated 4.3-3810 to 5.0-4418 .... following this steps:

01. Download DSM 5.0-4418 from http://xpenology.trantor.be/xpenology.com/417d8593b25892172333cbd43a428d6a/52e78fb7/XPEnology_DS3612xs_5.0_BETA.7z

02. Extract the file

03. Burn img file with this program https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8476146/qnology/win32diskimager-binary06.rar

04. Eject the USB

05. Shutdown Synology

06. Exchange USB Flash drive with new one ( 5.0-4418 )

07. Power on Synology & DSM will boot normally

08. Launch Synology Assistant on your second PC

09. Click 'Search'

10. If you've done everything correctly you'll see a new 'DiskStation' has been found.

11. Disconnect the USB flash drive from the Synology for this next step

12. Right-click on new 'DiskStation' and choose 'Install'

13. Browse and select the new downloaded version (5.0-4418.pat)

14. Choose a Name for the DiskStation, a new default admin password and IP configuration

15. After installation is complete the DiskStation will reboot automatically.

16. Turn OFF Synology manually now

17. Isert the same USB Flash drive ( 5.0-4418) back into Synology

18. Power on Synology & DSM will boot normally

19. In Synology Assistant click 'Search' again

20. Depending on the name and network config you chose during installation you will see now a DiskStation has been found with the NAME you chose

Probably many of you know that already, but still ...

The DSM 5 beta works like a charm.

Super fast/easy/secure update process.

Upgraded from 4.3 U4. When boot from USB with beta 5, the system detect a possibility of Migration Mode. No SA nedded. The upgrade can be made from web interface.

All configuration stays. All data stays. All apps request upgrade, but stays.

One encrypted folder doesn't open anymore, however, this folder hasn't nothing important. If you have encrypted folder, take care, i don't know if its a rule.

After 12 hours, all working fine.

Thank you all for the project !!

I just updated from 4.3 to V5 using trantor's release and no issues encountered. I did not lose any data or configuration settings, I just had to update several packages after the upgrade, but I was immediately shown which packages need to be updated. In a nutshell, painless, even updated to the Update 1 that is available.

Setch

• 1 month later...