XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 5.0-4418 (BETA)

Trantor

Hi Trantor,

Thank you for all your hard work.

I asked this same question in the Driver Request / Beta 7 (4.3-3827) forum. What version of the r8168 driver is included in 5.0-4418 beta? The reason I ask is because I am having a strange problem with gnoBoot alpha 10.5. It is giving me LAN issues that I don't see with any of your builds on the same hardware. I recall some posts where you mentioned you had to modify these Realtek drivers for some bug. Could you give me a brief summary?

Thanks,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1361&start=470#p16807

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Firstly, great work Trantor. Really pleased you're able to spend time on this for the community!

So, my problem. I have successfully installed 5.0 beta on my HP N40L (upgrade from 4.3 3810) but the problem is that even though DSM sees the 3x2TB hdds installed there is no "disk group" so the only thing that shows up in the file manager is the USB stick itself, not my data. Getting a bit worried now and don't want to stuff things up further.

Anyone have any ideas? I could have a go at downgrading and have seen the post relating to that but there appear to be some differences with 5.0. First one being the /etc/defaults/VERSION is actually /etc/VERSION now.

Please help!

EDIT: if I ssh in to the box I can see that volume1 is mounted with all my data on, so it appears its just not showing up in DSM. At least my data is fine :grin:

EDIT2: hahah I am such a tool, simply a case of resetting the user permissions for my user account to allow access. Will leave this here in case anyone else does this :oops::oops:

Cheers

mrchris76

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind I am a complete newbie with DSM but here is my setup I am testing.

Hardware / Firmware List

Synology DSM 5.0 NAS Operating System ( Upgraded from DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0)

HARDWARE I HAD LAYING AROUND

1 - 16 Gb Kingston Usb Drive ( Required For Boot loader )

Biostar MCP6P M2+ Ver. 6.x Mainboard

Amd Athlon X2 64 5000 2.6 Ghz Dual Core

4 Gb DDR2 800 ( Kingston Value Ram )

1 - Western Digital 500 Gb 7200 Rpm Sata

1 - Western Digital 640 Gb 7200 Rpm Sata

2 - 80 Gb Seagate 7200 Rpm Sata's

1 Western Digital 160 Gb 7200 Rpm IDE

2 - 64 Gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide USB Drives

Rock Stable available on local network or over the net access from windows linux windows phone android etc..

So far so good really amazing what you can do with spare hardware these days.

Really awesome stuff guys I thank you...

Derek

10441268_10204015719264392_1936829387853031583_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

i ve a PC with Trantor 4.3 working fine.

Today i try to move to DSM5 with gnoboot but without success. I boot always on installation mode.

So finally i want to go back to 4.3 but i can t.

When i try to install he say that he is in version 5.0-4482 and i can t install previous version.

I try to connect with telnet but my admin password dont work with root account.

What can i do to get back my datas ? :s

Thanks

Hello,

Today i try to move to DSM5 with gnoboot but without success. I boot always on installation mode.

When i try to install he say that he is in version 5.0-4482 and i can t install previous version.

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think Downgrade is worth the stress.

Do you have any details about your hardware? We'd need more information to help.

Nano boot 5.0.3.1 should have a wide spectrum of hardware support.

Try booting nanoboot in upgrade mode to 4493 with only Display, LAN and keyboard connected, so no wifi or Bluetooth dongles. In upgrade mode you can use either the synology tool on your computer to 'migrate' the new version or type into the browser the IP of your NAS. Click that, type in the username and password you want to use and upload the original 4493 you get at synology. After upgrade your NAS will reboot. Be sure not to boot into upgrade, but normal nanoboot. The synology tool should detect your NAS and will write some more stuff onto your NAS. You can also login into the shell with the user and PW you just typed in.

Also.. you should have posted this into another thread or make a new one, but not this one..

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think Downgrade is worth the stress.

Do you have any details about your hardware? We'd need more information to help.

Nano boot 5.0.3.1 should have a wide spectrum of hardware support.

Try booting nanoboot in upgrade mode to 4493 with only Display, LAN and keyboard connected, so no wifi or Bluetooth dongles. In upgrade mode you can use either the synology tool on your computer to 'migrate' the new version or type into the browser the IP of your NAS. Click that, type in the username and password you want to use and upload the original 4493 you get at synology. After upgrade your NAS will reboot. Be sure not to boot into upgrade, but normal nanoboot. The synology tool should detect your NAS and will write some more stuff onto your NAS. You can also login into the shell with the user and PW you just typed in.

Also.. you should have posted this into another thread or make a new one, but not this one..

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I continue my post hehre : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3354&p=19906#p19906

• 1 month later...
Poechi, why do I need the new boots? What's wrong with the synoboot that trantor provides?

Trantors build was based on the beta release & does not work with DSM 5.0-4493, therefore you'll need to use a boot image from nanoboot as shown in poechi's signature.

• 3 months later...
Hi

First, a big thank you for providing this version

I'm trying this hardware:

Asus P5Q - ICH10R 6xSata - Sil5723 2xSata - Marvell 1xIDE - Atheros L1E

Xeon X5450 3Ghz (mod 771)

4Gb DDR2

2x500 Samsung SATA

I had to set a fixed cpu multiplier because with speedstep enabled it stopped with something "..cpu idle...changing to hpet"

Sata is set to AHCI in ports 1/2 of ICH10R

DSM is installed, hdds set to RAID0, fixed IP, installed apps, mkv copy at 113 MB/s - nice :grin:

hdd hibernation is working

reboot also works but shutdown is not working properly, I can ear hdds powering off but fans keep on

Does anyone now what setting should I change in BIOS?

Is there any benefit of AHCI?

I think at first sata was in IDE enhanced mode and shutdown worked, but I changed so many things in BIOS to figure out the multiplier setting, that now I don't know

The control panel icon is showing a number 1 in a red circle, what is it?

Hi,

I've got the same P5Q as you.

Do you use ICH10R Raid or Syno Raid ?

Thx for your reply.

I'm trying to use Xpenology. All is working great expect IO rate... In monitoring Disk usage is always at 33% even is if to nothing, and RAID status is OK.

Hi

First, a big thank you for providing this version

I'm trying this hardware:

Asus P5Q - ICH10R 6xSata - Sil5723 2xSata - Marvell 1xIDE - Atheros L1E

Xeon X5450 3Ghz (mod 771)

4Gb DDR2

2x500 Samsung SATA

I had to set a fixed cpu multiplier because with speedstep enabled it stopped with something "..cpu idle...changing to hpet"

Sata is set to AHCI in ports 1/2 of ICH10R

DSM is installed, hdds set to RAID0, fixed IP, installed apps, mkv copy at 113 MB/s - nice :grin:

hdd hibernation is working

reboot also works but shutdown is not working properly, I can ear hdds powering off but fans keep on

Does anyone now what setting should I change in BIOS?

Is there any benefit of AHCI?

I think at first sata was in IDE enhanced mode and shutdown worked, but I changed so many things in BIOS to figure out the multiplier setting, that now I don't know

The control panel icon is showing a number 1 in a red circle, what is it?

Hi,

I've got the same P5Q as you.

Do you use ICH10R Raid or Syno Raid ?

Thx for your reply.

I'm trying to use Xpenology. All is working great expect IO rate... In monitoring Disk usage is always at 33% even is if to nothing, and RAID status is OK.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...