XPEnology Community

Some questions before installing XPEnology

tntmux

Hello I am new here, also new to nas.

Since my wife forbidded me from buying any new hardware (pathetic married man who want to buy a hp n54p) so I would have to build my own server with an existing computer.

What I am planning to do is to turn my htpc into a nas server. Before I do anything stupid, I would like to hear from veterans for some advise.

1. Do we still need a write protect usb drive with the new 4.3 release? (because after installation DSM will wipe out the usb drive?? Still the case?)

2. Do I risk to have my bios flashed by installing XPEnology, cause I read something like this in another hp n54p discution thread.

3. Should I install this directly or better to use a virtual machine? Will the virtual machine make the whole system lag or use more electricity?

For information, my htpc is built with i3 2120(too bad not the T serials)+H61 chipset with 4G memeory, no graphic card, with an 90W external AC power.

Thanks in advance.

1. No, use Trantors 4.3 3810 V1.0

2. No, use Trantors 4.3 3810 V1.0

3. I would just install it directly.

4 gig ram and a nice low powered cpu should purr along nicely.

compile a list of your hardware before starting

eg

how many SATA ports does it have?

how many USB ports does it have?

how many E-SATA ports does it have?

which brand/chipset network adapter does it use

etc

as you might have to manually adjust some settings to get everything working correctly.

Since my wife forbidded me from buying any new hardware (pathetic married man who want to buy a hp n54p) so I would have to build my own server with an existing computer.

Upgrade the wife or get a new one.

I think uninstalling that malware is more than enough :smile: