XPEnology Community

Virtual XPEnology with external Media Files

uktricky

I have a N40L server with Linux installed along with VirtualBox and running XPEnology/Synology - Reason for running in a VirtualBox is that I want to be able to use the server for other Linux type systems running alongside the Synology box.

I want to have a fairly small virtual disk setup and rely on Linux storage for storage of media etc. as virtualbox is creaking if I use a couple of 3tb drives setup

I can obviously get the Syno setup quite easily but struggling with getting my video/music indexed by the Media Server

So the video/music sits on a share in the Linux environment and I can add this as a remote folder without any issue

I can make the folder sit under /Video or /Music as required but I don't seem to be able to get the indexing service to include this folder other than the top level folder when I view on my upnp devices. I can even add the remote folder as a Indexed Folder and again just the top level folder is shown none of the sub-folders.

Is this possible? in any way shape or form?

Hello,

I never managed to do it.

I have tried to mount a cifs share and then create a link from the share to the video folder but it didn't work too.

The problem is the same with the cloudstation, only local drives are working.

Marc

I have a N40L server with Linux installed along with VirtualBox and running XPEnology/Synology - Reason for running in a VirtualBox is that I want to be able to use the server for other Linux type systems running alongside the Synology box.

Have you ever consider doing it differnt way?

Instal VMWare ESXi (Free) on the N40L, run DSM with direct access to storage disks via RDM and use small installation of Linux next to it for your other tasks. After all Synology DSM is made primarily for storage and all other applications on it is just a small bonus. If you need more storage for your other Linux, mount share from DSM.

Another option is replacing VBox with VMWare workstation or Player will give virtual Synology DSM physical direct access to your 3TB drives as well.

I'm also trying to do something similar.

I have XPEnology running in ESXI, and I have my files stored on unRAID (also running in ESXI).

I want to make use of "Photo Station" to index the files on my unRAID server to be able to browse the pictures on my iPad.

A.t.m. I am struggling to get the Package Center running ...

Use bindfs and mount remote folder.

DiskStation> mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,nosynoacl,barrier=1,journal_checksum,data=ordered)
/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=4,mode=620)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (0)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (0)
/dev/md2 on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl)
/volume1/@optware on /opt type bind (bind)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (0)
\\192.168.0.102\Public\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music on /volume1/musicBox type cifs (rw)
bindfs on /volume1/music type fuse.bindfs (no-canonicalize,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)
\\192.168.0.102\Public\Photo on /volume1/photoBox type cifs (rw)
bindfs on /volume1/photo type fuse.bindfs (no-canonicalize,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)

/usr/syno/bin/convert maybe replaced with newer version(use ipkg get imagemagick), if it does not work.

sorry for my broken english.

To OP: did bindfs work?

If no success with bindfs, an alternative might be to ditch cifs and set up the Linux files as an iSCSI target. Synology supports iSCSI so you could point an iSCSI LUN to the target on your Linux server. Since it's all intra-machine, it should be pretty fast.

Use bindfs and mount remote folder.

DiskStation> mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,nosynoacl,barrier=1,journal_checksum,data=ordered)
/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=4,mode=620)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (0)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (0)
/dev/md2 on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl)
/volume1/@optware on /opt type bind (bind)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (0)
\\192.168.0.102\Public\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music on /volume1/musicBox type cifs (rw)
bindfs on /volume1/music type fuse.bindfs (no-canonicalize,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)
\\192.168.0.102\Public\Photo on /volume1/photoBox type cifs (rw)
bindfs on /volume1/photo type fuse.bindfs (no-canonicalize,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)

/usr/syno/bin/convert maybe replaced with newer version(use ipkg get imagemagick), if it does not work.

sorry for my broken english.

Can you give a little more explaination about how to do this?

To OP: did bindfs work?

If no success with bindfs, an alternative might be to ditch cifs and set up the Linux files as an iSCSI target. Synology supports iSCSI so you could point an iSCSI LUN to the target on your Linux server. Since it's all intra-machine, it should be pretty fast.

Are you sure of that?

Synology supports iSCSI Targets (Server), but not iSCSI initiator (client).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would also love this feature! I know it is not an XPEnology issue, as it is present in Synology also, but it would be nice to index remote folders. I am also running my XPEnology virtually from within VirtualBox, and I only created a small HD for its use. I have it running on a Windows PC where I have my multimedia files already shared via SMB. I absolutely love Synology's features, but I wanted to try everything out before I spend the money and get everything done right. It would be nice to have those media files indexed so I can use the cool apps.

If anyone knows a workaround for this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

And after-that(if you succeed with above instructions) use the info from this link to change the indexing folders for Synology media server: http://www.king-foo.be/2010/06/change-f ... ia-server/

In short:

1. Create a file rc.local: touch /etc/rc.local

2. Open the file and add the following line: mount --bind /volume1/MyPhotoDirectory /volume1/photo

3. Now restart the NAS and you’re done.

4. Manually start indexing from Control Panel - Media Indexing - Re-Index

• 1 month later...

hi stanza & costib,

I have managed to mount --bind another folder within my DSM (gnoboot's DSM 5.0-4458) into /photo. That is working fine as long as the folder to be mounted is within the DSM.

I want to mount --bind a remote folder from my host (I'm running DSM within VMWare on a 2012R2 Server with shared cifs Folders. If I attach a remote folder via the file station, the mount bind doesn't work.

So in short: costlib's guide works, but not with stanza's tasks to mount a remote folder from outside the DSM-VM.

Does anybody have an idea, how to do this?