XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

gnoboot-openvmtools-v4 available for download. :wink:

It's not working here. I get "Operation failed" when I try to install in DSM 5.

DSM 5 is not supported at the moment, will do once DSGPL toolchain is release. :wink:

EDIT: upcoming release will automatically detect hypervisor and unified ramdisk for v4 and v5. Always check my blog to get the latest.

Thanks for all your hard work. Any chance on adding the pata_legacy.ko module? I need this driver for my boot drive and would like to test this.

will add it :wink:

Alpha 6 available for download, just copy files to your existing boot image. :wink:

Can't download:

gnoboot-alpha5: jdownloader showed "Container error: null"

gnoboot-openvmtools-v4: docs.google.com has "Hoster problem? Wait ..."

Did I do anything wrong? Thanks.

You can also use online decrypting tools to get the link.

Thanks for all your hard work. Any chance on adding the pata_legacy.ko module? I need this driver for my boot drive and would like to test this.

Edit the kernel grub menu and use insmod parameter to load the driver.

title gnoboot-alpha

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage ... insmod=pata_legacy

initrd /rd.gz

It's funny that I can't find a options to install 4.3 using alpha 6

But it boot 4.3/5.0 with no problems :wink:

boot to gnoboot-upgrade or add gnoboot_upgrade to kernel grub menu to update/install :wink: .

title gnoboot-upgrade

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage ... gnoboot_upgrade

initrd /rd.gz

boot to gnoboot-upgrade or add gnoboot_upgrade to kernel grub menu to update/install :wink: .

title gnoboot-upgrade

root (hd0,0)

initrd /rd.gz

I try again with vbox and have a flash install

It told me that I need to give him 4418 but not 3810 :lol:

-------------------------

BTW ,I have installed DSM 5.0 from 4.2 transtor,and it crash my partition table .

First boot ,work fine

secord ,fine

then ,cannot delete folder in disk2(raw disk access)

then ,everything gone ... :shock:

Hopefully I have 3 backup in 1*pc ,1*211j and 1*209 ..

But some movies gone with the wind .

title gnoboot-upgrade

root (hd0,0)

initrd /rd.gz

-------------------------

BTW ,I have installed DSM 5.0 from 4.2 transtor,and it crash my partition table .

First boot ,work fine

secord ,fine

then ,cannot delete folder in disk2(raw disk access)

then ,everything gone ... :shock:

Hopefully I have 3 backup in 1*pc ,1*211j and 1*209 ..

But some movies gone with the wind .

title gnoboot-upgrade

root (hd0,0)

initrd /rd.gz

gnoboot v5 keeps turning off. Since gnootboot-4418-alpha5 after I install the pat file my VM keeps shutting down. Same issue with aplha6. Any ideas as to why this maybe happening on esxi 5.1?

Edit: Appears to be exactly the same issue diverge had few pages earlier, although ihd_num=1 is populated in grub and it seems to boot up properly after several attempts.

I think this has something to do with /etc/upgrade.sh. Could you post a screenshot while it happens?

Here's the best I can do, since it floods the screen with stuff. When it detects a disk change (add/remove), synocfgen fails. On normal boot, synocfgen follows after last module load, and is close to one of the last things displayed before login prompt. When it detects a disk change, there's a bunch of stuff between last module load, and the synocfgen check, then a bunch of stuff after it, it unmounts all the drives and powers off. You can reproduce it easily by just adding and removing same disk over and over (i created a tiny disk for testing).

z2UCq0l.png

edit: it took me a bunch of reboots to get it to boot normally again. Here's what it looks like at first normal boot after going through all that stuff:

6Rny3NF.png

gnoboot v5 keeps turning off. Since gnootboot-4418-alpha5 after I install the pat file my VM keeps shutting down. Same issue with aplha6. Any ideas as to why this maybe happening on esxi 5.1?

Edit: Appears to be exactly the same issue diverge had few pages earlier, although ihd_num=1 is populated in grub and it seems to boot up properly after several attempts.

I think this has something to do with /etc/upgrade.sh. Could you post a screenshot while it happens?

Here's the best I can do, since it floods the screen with stuff. When it detects a disk change (add/remove), synocfgen fails. On normal boot, synocfgen follows after last module load, and is close to one of the last things displayed before login prompt. When it detects a disk change, there's a bunch of stuff between last module load, and the synocfgen check, then a bunch of stuff after it, it unmounts all the drives and powers off. You can reproduce it easily by just adding and removing same disk over and over (i created a tiny disk for testing).

z2UCq0l.png

edit: it took me a bunch of reboots to get it to boot normally again. Here's what it looks like at first normal boot after going through all that stuff:

6Rny3NF.png

Upgrading from 4.X to 5.0 beta will erase your data partition (upstream issue), backup your data or download the latest pat files.

@gnboot,

could you clarify what you mean in the above? Are you talking about DSM 4.x to DSM 5 ? Also could you clarify what gnoboot_upgrade is, how it works, ect? Is it just to upgrade gnoboot to latest and doesn't touch your data array?

I successfully moved all my real data (4 disk array) from a system running DSM 4.2 to DSM 5, keeping all my data. All I did was create a new VM with gnoboot 5, added my array to it, and booted. It detects the differences in DSM and let me upgrade the DSM version on my array while not touching my data. So I'm not sure what your statement I quoted was in reference to. As long as it doesn't say it's formatting all your disks, then from my experience the data is untouched. It either migrates your data (letting you keep some settings), or says configuration lost (basically new install, but leaves your data).

@ you guys having gnoboot boot issues (kernel panics), you could try to create a new VM with fresh gnoboot boot image (I dunno if anything ever gets written to boot disk?) and your old array. As long as you don't change disks in array after initial boots it should be fine.. I dunno what is going on with those errors, just seems changing array after initial boot of VM causes it, or at least for me. I haven't tried to troubleshoot it since my post.

Upgrading from 4.X to 5.0 beta will erase your data partition (upstream issue), backup your data or download the latest pat files.

@gnboot,

could you clarify what you mean in the above? Are you talking about DSM 4.x to DSM 5 ? Also could you clarify what gnoboot_upgrade is, how it works, ect? Is it just to upgrade gnoboot to latest and doesn't touch your data array?

I successfully moved all my real data (4 disk array) from a system running DSM 4.2 to DSM 5, keeping all my data. All I did was create a new VM with gnoboot 5, added my array to it, and booted. It detects the differences in DSM and let me upgrade the DSM version on my array while not touching my data. So I'm not sure what your statement I quoted was in reference to. As long as it doesn't say it's formatting all your disks, then from my experience the data is untouched. It either migrates your data (letting you keep some settings), or says configuration lost (basically new install, but leaves your data).

@ you guys having gnoboot boot issues (kernel panics), you could try to create a new VM with fresh gnoboot boot image (I dunno if anything ever gets written to boot disk?) and your old array. As long as you don't change disks in array after initial boots it should be fine.. I dunno what is going on with those errors, just seems changing array after initial boot of VM causes it, or at least for me. I haven't tried to troubleshoot it since my post.

@gnboot,

While working on alpha5, I was trying to upgrade from 4.3 (it has data partition or /volume1) to 5.0 but I didn't change the default boot option. So it booted using 4.3 ramdisk, then SA will prompt you to migrate again and re-run the upgrade. After successfully installing 5.0, I noticed my data partition was gone. I'm not sure if it was caused by booting 4.3 ramdisk or I accidentally click create SHR without noticing it:) Since someone reported that his/her data was lost using gnoboot v5, it's just precaution for other users.

gnoboot, i'll try what you said and see if I can get the logs to you.

I also just saw that a decent amount of people are losing their partitions when updating from dsm 4.x to 5, and it's supposedly a bug that synology will fix http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 32&t=79886 . Just a heads up for people paying around with drives with unbacked up data :razz:

You also provided the link above. :razz:

Nothing fancy about gnoboot_upgrade it will just stop booting to your disk, you'll be able to migrate/upgrade using SA.

Basically, it means synobios wasn't updated in your disk (md0). Did you noticed multiple "Updating ...." message during first boot up?

Thanks for the update. I'd like to try alpha6 but I can't seem to download the files.

I've getting the rsdf files fine, but jdownloader always reports problems.

Am I the only one with problems, what's the secret?

You can use dcrypt.it.

Will fix it :grin:

@gnboot,

While working on alpha5, I was trying to upgrade from 4.3 (it has data partition or /volume1) to 5.0 but I didn't change the default boot option. So it booted using 4.3 ramdisk, then SA will prompt you to migrate again and re-run the upgrade. After successfully installing 5.0, I noticed my data partition was gone. I'm not sure if it was caused by booting 4.3 ramdisk or I accidentally click create SHR without noticing it:) Since someone reported that his/her data was lost using gnoboot v5, it's just precaution for other users.

gnoboot, i'll try what you said and see if I can get the logs to you.

I also just saw that a decent amount of people are losing their partitions when updating from dsm 4.x to 5, and it's supposedly a bug that synology will fix http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 32&t=79886 . Just a heads up for people paying around with drives with unbacked up data :razz:

You also provided the link above. :razz:

Nothing fancy about gnoboot_upgrade it will just stop booting to your disk, you'll be able to migrate/upgrade using SA.

Basically, it means synobios wasn't updated in your disk (md0). Did you noticed multiple "Updating ...." message during first boot up?

Thanks for the update. I'd like to try alpha6 but I can't seem to download the files.

I've getting the rsdf files fine, but jdownloader always reports problems.

Am I the only one with problems, what's the secret?

You can use dcrypt.it.

Will fix it :grin:

Not that I recall, no. I can check again using a fresh install, but it is a persistent issue with the last 4-5 installs I did. Also, open-vmtools fails to install on DSM 5 when using the spk. It just says "Operation Failed" any suggestions?

Edit: reading around it seems to be an issue with vmware, 64bit linux kernel above v3 and amd cpus. Can anyone else confirm the same?

Edited by Guest

Not that I recall, no. I can check again using a fresh install, but it is a persistent issue with the last 4-5 installs I did. Also, open-vmtools fails to install on DSM 5 when using the spk. It just says "Operation Failed" any suggestions?

Edit: reading around it seems to be an issue with vmware, 64bit linux kernel above v3 and amd cpus. Can anyone else confirm the same?

Edited by Guest