XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Hi,

I'm using your images for testing and noticed it doesn't show a serial number in Synology Assistant however it does have that information in the vender file. Is this by design, if so, how do I add it in manually, so it is displayed in Synology Assistant?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm using your images for testing and noticed it doesn't show a serial number in Synology Assistant however it does have that information in the vender file. Is this by design, if so, how do I add it in manually, so it is displayed in Synology Assistant?

Thanks

Yes, it doesn't use vender file. I will include the default serial number from the vender file on the next release.

Does anybody know the serial number format?

EDIT: Upcoming feature, alpha3 modular ata drivers :wink:

[spoiler=]2lvxspl.png

Copy the following to your grub.conf:

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
#terminal serial
default 0
timeout 10
fallback 0

title gnoboot 4.3-8310 - alpha
root (hd0,0)
kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=0 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3JN00310 vga=0x370 loglevel=3
initrd /rd.gz

title gnoboot 4.3-8310 - alpha (debug)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=0 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3JN00310 vga=0x370 debug
initrd /rd.gz

title gnoboot 4.3-8310 - alpha (vender)
root (hd0,0)
vender /vender show
kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3JN00310 vga=0x370
initrd /rd.gz

thanks, that worked for DSM 5 however, I also noticed that changing the mac in vender file for dsm 4.3 doesn't get picked up, the same file works in DSM 5.0. Any idea as to why that may be?

p.s keep up the good work, very impressed by your efforts so far. Would be great if there was a way to upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 which I know you are working on...

Here's a guide on how to get the password.

[spoiler=]http://wrgms.com/post/37501692643/synologys-secret-telnet-password

Thanks for this info. From it I created a formula in a google drive spreadsheet. Just paste the following into a cell and it will calculate the password, and always update for current date.

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW())), TEXT(MONTH(NOW()) ; "*0#0") , "-", DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW())), TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()))) ; "*0#0"))

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, it doesn't use vender file. I will include the default serial number from the vender file on the next release.

Does anybody know the serial number format?

Why not use a boot parameter for setting the serial number? It would be easier, as an alternative to the vender file in general :smile:

Why not use a boot parameter for setting the serial number? It would be easier, as an alternative to the vender file in general :smile:

If I knew the format boot parameter is no longer needed :wink: .

Another successful hacking day! I broke iSCSI file level while building alpha3 but got both file and block level working after applying some kernel patch :geek: .

Another successful hacking day! I broke iSCSI file level while building alpha3 but got both file and block level working after applying some kernel patch :geek: .

This is very good :grin:

What kind of patch did you apply to fix this ? Backport the LIO stack from 2.6 branch ?

BTW very nice scripting work :wink:

Works ok for me in vmware workstation.

For installing, you have to download original pat file, create a VM with 3 disk, one very small for operating system, the othres, for volume, boot with linux live, scp gnoboot file where you want in linux live, dd on first disk, reboot, launch assistant, install pat file previously downloaded, wait and enjoy :grin:

This is very good :grin:

What kind of patch did you apply to fix this ? Backport the LIO stack from 2.6 branch ?

BTW very nice scripting work :wink:

For now, I'd like to keep it a secret until dsgpl 4418 is release :twisted:.

EDIT: [spoiler=]Let's see if they're going to include the LIO source code. I don't want them to add another security layer if XPENOLOGY is working on v5 :twisted: .

Edited by Guest

For installing, you have to download original pat file, create a VM with 3 disk, one very small for operating system, the othres, for volume, boot with linux live, scp gnoboot file where you want in linux live, dd on first disk, reboot, launch assistant, install pat file previously downloaded, wait and enjoy :grin:

You know there is an easier way.... Just use starwind v2v converter. It will convert the .IMG to .vmdk which with is working fine for me on DSM 5

The format is relatively simple. There's a 4-character device ID (B1J1 for DS411, B3J7 for RS2211+, etc., still collecting the database), followed by a 5-digit number (00001 to 99999), the actual serial number. I think, after collecting all the device IDs, it would be possible to easily change the device serial number, even with an actual Synology app.

You know there is an easier way.... Just use starwind v2v converter. It will convert the .IMG to .vmdk which with is working fine for me on DSM 5

Thank You For the hint :grin:

I'm interesting in developement, i would like to know howto start to plat with DSM, mi old project is add Ata Over Ethernet in DSM.

It's' "simple", we have to enbale them on kernel, but, the hard part it's', for me, build userland part of it.

Another question, could be possible pxe boot xpenology and install on real hardware? or in VM?

The format is relatively simple. There's a 4-character device ID (B1J1 for DS411, B3J7 for RS2211+, etc., still collecting the database), followed by a 5-digit number (00001 to 99999), the actual serial number. I think, after collecting all the device IDs, it would be possible to easily change the device serial number, even with an actual Synology app.

hahaha, so it's useless. My current grub.conf doesn't include the serial and its working perfectly.

I need to generate the vender file, so iSCSI won't use the default mac addresss. How can you generate it from scratch?

Working on fixing ssd detection for virtual disk :wink:

Thanks for heads up. Much easier than booting up DSL live CD in a VM.

hahaha, so it's useless. My current grub.conf doesn't include the serial and its working perfectly.

I need to generate the vender file, so iSCSI won't use the default mac addresss. How can you generate it from scratch?

Wait, is the vender file even required? On the original boot disks, it was possible to pass the MAC address via a console argument in GRUB - couldn't we do the same?

Wait, is the vender file even required? On the original boot disks, it was possible to pass the MAC address via a console argument in GRUB - couldn't we do the same?

No, DSM still reads the vender file from the /dev/synoboot2 eveytime iSCSI starts/restarts.

Hi all, I tried to install XPEnology gnoBoot but I can not. Would want to ask you if any of you could make a video explaining the process, really appreciate it. (I'm trying to install the version gnoboot-5.0-4418-alpha0.img)

Hi, it's simple, download gnoboot, download real dsm5-beta from link in thread, build VM with 3 disk, one, small for siste, and others two for volume.

expand gnoboot file, boot VM with one live linuxdistro, i found very usefull gentoo-amd-64 minimal image, boot vm with this distro, scp or winscp gnoboot image already extracted into booted VM, in vm, launch this command dd=if/foldere_where_you_copied_gnoboot.img of=/dev/sda at the end of the operation, reboot vm and choice first voice in grub menu.

download synnology assistant from synology web, install, launch and discover the VM already booted, clic on it and choice install from disk, point to the original .pat file downloaded from synology web, input new admin password and, if you want, new system name, wait until the end of the process.

I have a spare pc left.. but boot from USB is not working well for me.. Now I have used an ISO version I found here on the forum and burned a CD.. but is still think this isn't the way it should work. All this is very new for me.. What is the best way to install this on a spare PC..

The way i installed it now give me several errors.. "synoboot stop buzzer button pressed.." I found a update to get rid of this error, but no way to install this.. I have a small hdd (40gb) and would like to install the os on that.. Whats the best way to work..? install a linux distro and use a vm solution..? I prefer a clean install..

Thanks in advance!