XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

I kinda find it a PITA too, but I usually get all his releases working. I mounted a previous version image. deleted it's zImage and rd, and removed all the grub menu stuff, then copied over the newer stuff. Then converted the image to vdmk with StarWind V2V Image Converter. Then upload it to my esxi datastore to be used in my VM.

my only issue is rmmod seems to not be working anymore. So I can't prevent kernel mods from loading.

Thank you Diverge for your answer. I don't have Esxi, but i can try to use your method on my physical hardware. Thanks again.

Make sure you don't delete whole grub folder in previous image file, you need certain files not contained in new release. Just stick to deleting the menu stuff.

I kinda find it a PITA too, but I usually get all his releases working. I mounted a previous version image. deleted it's zImage and rd, and removed all the grub menu stuff, then copied over the newer stuff. Then converted the image to vdmk with StarWind V2V Image Converter. Then upload it to my esxi datastore to be used in my VM.

my only issue is rmmod seems to not be working anymore. So I can't prevent kernel mods from loading.

Thank you Diverge for your answer. I don't have Esxi, but i can try to use your method on my physical hardware. Thanks again.

Make sure you don't delete whole grub folder in previous image file, you need certain files not contained in new release. Just stick to deleting the menu stuff.

Thank you Diverge, your method worked. I owe you one...

-"burn" the .img file of alpha 7 to usb stick

-with gparted resize to 128MB the partition on the usb stick

-delete "zimage" on the usb stick

-delete on "boot\grub\menu?????.lst"

-delete on "boot\grub\grub.conf"

-copy the alpha 8 "zimage" on the root of the usb stick

-copy the alpha 8 "boot\grub\menu?????.lst" to "boot\grub\menu?????.lst" of the usb stick

-copy the alpha 8 "boot\grub\grub.conf" to "boot\grub\grub.conf" of the usb stick

tested on my HP N54L physical hardware, not VM.

Thank you Diverge, your method worked. I owe you one...

-"burn" the .img file of alpha 7 to usb stick

-with gparted resize to 128MB the partition on the usb stick

-delete "zimage" on the usb stick

-delete on "boot\grub\menu?????.lst"

-delete on "boot\grub\grub.conf"

-copy the alpha 8 "zimage" on the root of the usb stick

-copy the alpha 8 "boot\grub\menu?????.lst" to "boot\grub\menu?????.lst" of the usb stick

-copy the alpha 8 "boot\grub\grub.conf" to "boot\grub\grub.conf" of the usb stick

tested on my HP N54L physical hardware, not VM.

Come on... no one can help us ?

edit: I'm now playing with LSI 9201-8i controller on my test system (~$75 on ebay, can be flashed with 9211-8i IT firmware/bios). Seems to work fine so far. But I need more disks to test with.

I had to do the same with alpha8. Anybody still having issues, should install ImDisk Virtual Disk. It can mount .img files as a r\w volume within windows. Copy the new files over and unmount which saves all the changes you made :smile: ImDisk also lets you create a new .img file by right clicking on the mounted volume.

edit: I'm now playing with LSI 9201-8i controller on my test system (~$75 on ebay, can be flashed with 9211-8i IT firmware/bios). Seems to work fine so far. But I need more disks to test with.

I had to do the same with alpha8. Anybody still having issues, should install ImDisk Virtual Disk. It can mount .img files as a r\w volume within windows. Copy the new files over and unmount which saves all the changes you made :smile: ImDisk also lets you create a new .img file by right clicking on the mounted volume.

I use the same program. I installed so many windows ext2/3 mounting programs to try to find one that works. ImDisk was the only one that worked reliably. I didn't know about the save as new image function, thanks!

I use the same program. I installed so many windows ext2/3 mounting programs to try to find one that works. ImDisk was the only one that worked reliably. I didn't know about the save as new image function, thanks!

Why so complicated?

Again: why so complicated ???

Please just make simple downloadble files without jdownload etc and it will take much less time to get started...

Or is this a test? :smile:

Yes, I think the same thing too... :smile:

It's alpha! :twisted: Don't expect a fully working boot image in every release. :grin:

Notice it too, but I don't have time to investigate. Thanks for reporting!

Why so complicated?

Again: why so complicated ???

Please just make simple downloadble files without jdownload etc and it will take much less time to get started...

Or is this a test? :smile:

Yes, I think the same thing too... :smile:

It's alpha! :twisted: Don't expect a fully working boot image in every release. :grin:

Notice it too, but I don't have time to investigate. Thanks for reporting!

How do you deal with the fact that Windows wants to format the newly mounted virtual disk because it does not recognize the format?

How do you deal with the fact that Windows wants to format the newly mounted virtual disk because it does not recognize the format?

ImDisk is supposed to read ext2/3 partitions, so it should read the disks in windows if its working correctly.

ImDisk is supposed to read ext2/3 partitions, so it should read the disks in windows if its working correctly.

I'm having this trouble with version 1.7.6 and have tried the alpha7 .img file and trantor's .img files.

Added: I've made some progress. Turns out I had installed something called the ImDisk Toolkit which I uninstalled and replaced with the ImDisk installable package. Now I can mount and see the contents of the .img file but the tool gives me an error message when I try to extend the size of the virtual disk.

I'm having this trouble with version 1.7.6 and have tried the alpha7 .img file and trantor's .img files.

Added: I've made some progress. Turns out I had installed something called the ImDisk Toolkit which I uninstalled and replaced with the ImDisk installable package. Now I can mount and see the contents of the .img file but the tool gives me an error message when I try to extend the size of the virtual disk.

I used gnoBoot to boot DSM 4.3-3810, and try to load button.ko by adding button to /etc/rc in KERNEL_MODULES, but after reboot, the button.ko seems not load. I checked by lsmod|grep button and return nothing. I checked boot log of /var/log/dmes, and there is some output like below:

[Thu Feb 20 14:30:08 2014] thermal_sys: exports duplicate symbol generate_netlink_event (owned by kernel)

[Thu Feb 20 14:30:08 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel)

It seems button.ko has duplicate export symbol (acpi_lid_notifier_register, which is exported by kernel) to prevent load button module. When i use Trantor's synoboot img and it works ok, what's problem and difference between gnoboot and Trantor's synoboot ?

By the way, it seems thermal_sys.ko also did not load because of duplicate export symbol.

[quote="unmesh"

please add a url link to the lmDisk installable package.

I used gnoBoot to boot DSM 4.3-3810, and try to load button.ko by adding button to /etc/rc in KERNEL_MODULES, but after reboot, the button.ko seems not load. I checked by lsmod|grep button and return nothing. I checked boot log of /var/log/dmes, and there is some output like below:

[Thu Feb 20 14:30:08 2014] thermal_sys: exports duplicate symbol generate_netlink_event (owned by kernel)

[Thu Feb 20 14:30:08 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel)

It seems button.ko has duplicate export symbol (acpi_lid_notifier_register, which is exported by kernel) to prevent load button module. When i use Trantor's synoboot img and it works ok, what's problem and difference between gnoboot and Trantor's synoboot ?

By the way, it seems thermal_sys.ko also did not load because of duplicate export symbol.

Duplicate symbol means these two modules are built-in in the kernel. I can build button.ko as module but it isn't loaded automatically by default. Users have to manually loaded module for it to work.

Tested right now new Alpha 8 with DSM 4.3-3827 and is working good. Thanks to GnoBoot for the great work (clicked several times on your blog ads).

You could put a "Donate" button on your blog. I would donate very gladly.

Did you migrate\upgrade from 3810 or do a fresh install? I got a data loss warning when trying to upgrade to 3827 from 3810 so left it for now.

Did you migrate\upgrade from 3810 or do a fresh install? I got a data loss warning when trying to upgrade to 3827 from 3810 so left it for now.

Fresh install.

If you can afford it, I suggest you to have a backup of your XPEnology box, the software (XPEnology) is great, but not easy to maintain and upgrade (at least for me... I'am a linux noob).

I have all my data mirrored on a NasLite box http://www.serverelements.com/