XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Hi Guys,

I am feeling really silly, I am trying to install gnoboot on a Atom d510 board. I downloaded the image and write it to the usb drive with image writer. But as soon as the machine boots up it gets stuck at GRUB

Actually it just sits there top left corner "Grub" and goes nowhere I have tried everything...

What am I missing?

Thanks

Andrew

BTW, I have tried MagicPro PCTV Dual USB adaptor on my Xpenology box with 10.5 alpha, the dongle is not recognized by video station.

Did you load the drivers in /etc/rc.local?

Thanks for your reply.

I have added the driver modules into the rc.local

#!/bin/sh

# Optware setup

[ -x /etc/rc.optware ] && /etc/rc.optware start

source /etc/rc.subr

source /.gnoboot/modules.d/03-wifi.conf

source /.gnoboot/modules.d/05-media.conf

SYNOLoadModules $WIFI_MOD

SYNOLoadModules $MEDIA_MOD

SYNOLoadModules $VMWARE

exit 0

The lsmod showing the following:-

usbcore 158988 32 dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2,dvb_usb_technisat_usb2,dvb_usb_pctv452e,dvb_usb_cinergyT2,ttusb_dec,pvrusb2,em28xx_dvb,em28xx_alsa,em28xx,hdpvr,dvb_ttusb_budget,dvb_usb,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,zd1211rw,rtl8187,rtl8192cu,rtl_usb,mwifiex_usb,libertas_tf_usb,ar5523,carl9170,ath9k_htc,usbhid,usblp,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,etxhci_hcd,xhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

But still there is no dvb dongle exist in video station.

When I unplug the stick, dmesg shows

[ 512.953063] usb 1-2.1: USB disconnect, device number 5

When I plug in the stick, dmesg shows

[ 629.320965] usb 1-2.1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd

After plug in the stick, the information under DSM show the following:-

USB Stick - Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.

Thanks.

Hi mcdull,

I am using Contex DTV-01 (Conexant Systems) too but cannot get it works in DSM 5.0, are you using DSM5.0 with your Magic Pro PCTV USB? I can use my Contex DTV-01 in DSM 4.3 (same alpha 10.5 image) without any creation of file /etc/rc.local. do you have any idea?

Yes, I am using MagicPro PCTV Dual under 5.0 update 2.

It is however, I did not try it under 4.3 as the driver is firsly included in the 10.5 alpha build.

Your DTV-01 should be compatible with build-in driver on DSM. Did you see any driver message upon inserting the DTV under dmesg?

Post your *.vmx file, it seems your VM is not using e1000 network card.
i add next network card to this VM , and now it works on second one , but first one is still unable to

Edit the file, change ethernetX.virtualDev value to "e1000".

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" <----------
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

My next release will include more drivers, watch out for it later this week :wink: .

Hi All,

I am installing gnoboot-alpha-10.5 on a VMware Workstation 9. But i cannot seem to get the networking online.

I found the setting (see above) and the daily root password to login (404-0f01) on the console, but vi (or another) text editor is missing...

how do i proceed??

Tnx.

Yes, I am using MagicPro PCTV Dual under 5.0 update 2.

It is however, I did not try it under 4.3 as the driver is firsly included in the 10.5 alpha build.

Your DTV-01 should be compatible with build-in driver on DSM. Did you see any driver message upon inserting the DTV under dmesg?

I copied the same content from your /etc/rc.local, the last few rows of dmesg as follows (unplugged and plug in again, end with error -22 in dvb_usb_cxusb)

[ 55.168185] findhostd uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)

[ 58.232132] dvb_usb_cxusb: probe of 1-3:1.0 failed with error -22

[ 58.232804] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_cxusb

[ 180.661859] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 2

[ 180.812444] usbcore: deregistering interface driver dvb_usb_cxusb

[ 192.578114] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd

[ 193.017368] dvb_usb_cxusb: probe of 1-3:1.0 failed with error -22

[ 193.017482] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_cxusb

any idea?

the lsmod |grep dvb_usb_cxusb returned

dvb_usb_cxusb 64754 0

dib0070 8680 1 dvb_usb_cxusb

dib7000p 29487 1 dvb_usb_cxusb

dvb_usb 15274 6 dvb_usb_cxusb,dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2,dvb_usb_dibusb

_common,dvb_usb_technisat_usb2,dvb_usb_pctv452e,dvb_usb_cinergyT2

usbcore 158988 33 dvb_usb_cxusb,dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2,dvb_usb_techni

sat_usb2,dvb_usb_pctv452e,dvb_usb_cinergyT2,ttusb_dec,pvrusb2,em28xx_dvb,em28xx_

alsa,em28xx,hdpvr,dvb_ttusb_budget,dvb_usb,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,zd1211r

w,rtl8187,rtl8192cu,rtl_usb,mwifiex_usb,libertas_tf_usb,ar5523,carl9170,ath9k_ht

c,usbhid,usblp,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,etxhci_hcd,xhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

Still no luck with my PERC H310 on 10.5... But i need 10.5 for Multimedia-Support :???: And I Need my Backup-Volume :cry:

So maybe It could also be helpfull to crossflash to an LSI 9211-8i firmware!? Someone else here with a n54l/perc h310 baremetal config?

I have both perc h310 and n54l in baremetal under gnoboot 10.5. But they are - two different baremetal xpenologies. :smile:

Seriously speaking I do use h310 reflashed to 8211-8i/IT. Reflash procedure was rather complex. I had to consecutively flash it to latest dell's hba fw, then to 8211/IR and only third was 8211/IT. I used three different tool-chaines (dell's one, official lsi's and lsiutil correspondingly for those three stages). Also I used two different mobos (one with dos environment and other with efi-shell). And also had to cover two pins on pci-e.

So I do not know if you can do it inside n54l. But you can try. As for me - I decided not to buy H310 adapters any more, but only original lsi 9211 (or 9240) as I did previously for two other hardware setups. As the little price difference do not excuse the complexity of making it functional.

Post your *.vmx file, it seems your VM is not using e1000 network card.
i add next network card to this VM , and now it works on second one , but first one is still unable to

Edit the file, change ethernetX.virtualDev value to "e1000".

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" <----------
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

My next release will include more drivers, watch out for it later this week :wink: .

Hi All,

I am installing gnoboot-alpha-10.5 on a VMware Workstation 9. But i cannot seem to get the networking online.

I found the setting (see above) and the daily root password to login (404-0f01) on the console, but vi (or another) text editor is missing...

how do i proceed??

Tnx.

This is the VMX file you need to edit under windows.

So i am trying to run gnoBoot (latest Alpha 7) on VirtualBox but i cant get it to run.

I created a vdi image from the latest vfat (via convertdd) and it boots fine, up until when it starts the daemons ...

I tried various settings in VBox but all end up the same...

Any idea how to fix this?

Thx

XPENology_gnoBoot_ExecFailed.png.18efb2ea2617f51a8489df26ca62eb90.png

Hm SynoAsisst couldnt find the device thats why i looked in the first place;)

Is the root pw for this stage known?

I've seen quite a lot of failed boot messages but i dont know what they where, maybe normal, maybe not.

Tried using the debug boot but that hung after the logo.

For syno password I used the following code:

#include 
#include 
#include 

int gcd(int a, int b) {                                                                                              
   return (b?gcd(b,a%b):a);                                                                                         
}                                                                                                                    

void main()                                                                                                          
{                                                                                                                    
   struct timeval tvTime;                                                                                           
   struct tm tmOutput,tmOutputUTC;                                                                                  

gettimeofday(&tvTime, 0);
   localtime_r(&(tvTime.tv_sec), &tmOutput);
   gmtime_r(&(tvTime.tv_sec), &tmOutputUTC);

tmOutput.tm_mon += 1;
   tmOutputUTC.tm_mon += 1;

printf("password for today is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n",
       tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday,
       gcd(tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday));
   printf("password for today (UTC) is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n\n",
       tmOutputUTC.tm_mon, tmOutputUTC.tm_mon, tmOutputUTC.tm_mday,
       gcd(tmOutputUTC.tm_mon, tmOutputUTC.tm_mday));
}

Compile it and run (I used gcc). Use those password that correspond to the clock settings on target (local or UTC).

For syno password I used the following code:

Use those password that correspond to the clock settings on target (local or UTC).

The same in perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use Time::gmtime;
use Time::localtime;

sub gcd {
 my ($a, $b) = @_;
 return ( $b ? gcd($b ,$a % $b) : $a);
}

my $tm    = localtime();
my $tmUTC = gmtime   ();

printf("password for today       is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n"
  , $tm   ->mon() + 1, $tm   ->mon() + 1, $tm   ->mday(), gcd($tm   ->mon() + 1, $tm   ->mday()));
printf("password for today (UTC) is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n"
  , $tmUTC->mon() + 1, $tmUTC->mon() + 1, $tmUTC->mday(), gcd($tmUTC->mon() + 1, $tmUTC->mday()));

Run it as perl script_name.pl

Just rewrote c code as perl. Havn't checked the generated passwords yet.

Still no luck with my PERC H310 on 10.5... But i need 10.5 for Multimedia-Support :???: And I Need my Backup-Volume :cry:

So maybe It could also be helpfull to crossflash to an LSI 9211-8i firmware!? Someone else here with a n54l/perc h310 baremetal config?

I have both perc h310 and n54l in baremetal under gnoboot 10.5. But they are - two different baremetal xpenologies. :smile:

Seriously speaking I do use h310 reflashed to 8211-8i/IT. Reflash procedure was rather complex. I had to consecutively flash it to latest dell's hba fw, then to 8211/IR and only third was 8211/IT. I used three different tool-chaines (dell's one, official lsi's and lsiutil correspondingly for those three stages). Also I used two different mobos (one with dos environment and other with efi-shell). And also had to cover two pins on pci-e.

So I do not know if you can do it inside n54l. But you can try. As for me - I decided not to buy H310 adapters any more, but only original lsi 9211 (or 9240) as I did previously for two other hardware setups. As the little price difference do not excuse the complexity of making it functional.

So Crossflash works inside N54L :smile: Actually P18 is the actually Firmware of my new branded LSI 9211-8i :smile:

But new Prob :sad: Now the esata-Port is detected as Internal Port and no longer as esata...and also the Drive-Ordering is not correct:

Disks.png

Actually Config

esataportcfg=0x30

internalportcfg=0xfff

usbportcfg=0x1FC0

Disk 1 + 2 is from the internal Bay, 3 + 4 empty Slot of the Internal Bay

5-7 ?

Port 8 Is from the LSI (External ODD Tray-Bay)

Port 9 E-Sata

Port 10-12 from the LSI (External ODD Tray-Bay)

Port 9 should be estata and not internal...

How cann I change This? MaxDisk=12 ?

4 from internal Bay, Port 1-4

8 from LSI, Port 5-12)

2 ESATA (1 odd + 1 real esata)

THX!

Actually Config

esataportcfg=0x30

internalportcfg=0xfff

usbportcfg=0x1FC0

Disk 1 + 2 is from the internal Bay, 3 + 4 empty Slot of the Internal Bay

5-7 ?

Port 8 Is from the LSI (External ODD Tray-Bay)

Port 9 E-Sata

Port 10-12 from the LSI (External ODD Tray-Bay)

Port 9 should be estata and not internal...

How cann I change This? MaxDisk=12 ?

4 from internal Bay, Port 1-4

8 from LSI, Port 5-12)

2 ESATA (1 odd + 1 real esata)

THX!

I think you should eliminate overlap in *portcfg. Try setting both esataportcfg and usbportcfg to zero value. Also expand your internalportcfg to obviously high value (0xfffff for example). If you will find all your hdd-s - ok. If not - try higher MaxDisk settings. After finding all hdd's - reduce internalportcfg value to actual bitmap and increase other *portcfg values to actual values as bitmaps.

As for your current settings - they are incorrect. As they have 'one' bits set simultaneously in internalportcfg and two other *portcfg-s.