XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

I managed to migrate from Trantor's v5 build to gnoboot 5.0 without any data loss.

I added two virtual nics to my esxi 5.1 VM. Gnoboot only appears to pick up the e1000 and not vmxnet3. I have to wait for the volume expansion to complete before I can test transfer rates, Wi-Fi dongle, external USB and hopefully dvb link for v5 once released.

Hello gnoboot,

I have tested your newest release "gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat" on a ESXi 5.5 with RDM Mapped Drives.

CiFS , NFS, iSCSi is working!!

ISCSi gives a "kernel trace back" but its working!

Performance before:

Before i was on gnoboot-alpha5 with dsm5 4418 (beta) and the performance was awesome.. NFS 120mbs / CiFS the same and iSCSI arount 110mbs, but i need to say with "gnoboot-alpha5" the PVSCSI Drivers were working!! (VMware Paravirtual SCSI) :mrgreen:

Performance now:

With the latest gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat and Offical DSM 4458 on the same VM i needed to change the PVSCSI (VMware Paravirtual SCSI) to "LSI Logical Bus" otherwise the Harddisks were not detected. :sad:

NFS 50 -60mbs

CiFS 50 -60mbs

iSCSI: 30 - 50mbs

So i hope you can bring back the PVSCSI support :smile: and as Always: Keep the good work up :smile: Great Work! :mrgreen:

Hello gnoboot,

I have tested your newest release "gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat" on a ESXi 5.5 with RDM Mapped Drives.

CiFS , NFS, iSCSi is working!!

ISCSi gives a "kernel trace back" but its working!

Performance before:

Before i was on gnoboot-alpha5 with dsm5 4418 (beta) and the performance was awesome.. NFS 120mbs / CiFS the same and iSCSI arount 110mbs, but i need to say with "gnoboot-alpha5" the PVSCSI Drivers were working!! (VMware Paravirtual SCSI) :mrgreen:

Performance now:

With the latest gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat and Offical DSM 4458 on the same VM i needed to change the PVSCSI (VMware Paravirtual SCSI) to "LSI Logical Bus" otherwise the Harddisks were not detected. :sad:

NFS 50 -60mbs

CiFS 50 -60mbs

iSCSI: 30 - 50mbs

So i hope you can bring back the PVSCSI support :smile: and as Always: Keep the good work up :smile: Great Work! :mrgreen:

You can use insmod GRUB option to load missing drivers;) Full details posted in my blog. If it's not too much to ask, click the ADs or Bitcoin donate. :grin:

I managed to migrate from Trantor's v5 build to gnoboot 5.0 without any data loss.

I added two virtual nics to my esxi 5.1 VM. Gnoboot only appears to pick up the e1000 and not vmxnet3. I have to wait for the volume expansion to complete before I can test transfer rates, Wi-Fi dongle, external USB and hopefully dvb link for v5 once released.

Hi. I got Trantor's V5.4418 on my HP N54L and want to upgrade to 5.4458

what's the best way to do it so I don't lose data?

thanks

Hi newbi,

I have a HP N54L with Trantor's v5.4418 (installed locally without any virtualization).

After having downloaded the correct .pat image on Synology web site,

I have just downloaded the image here : http://www.firedrive.com/file/52CCF5D28D3EFDAD (link found in this forum as Google drive is saturated)

and follow the tutorial :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545

Everything works for me.

Do not hesitate if you need any precision.

Hi everyone!

Once again, many thanks Gnoboot for your work!

I managed to upgrade to the DSM 5.0 4458 with the gnoboot 10.3vfat image on a HP N54L. Before, I had a native install with DSM 4.3 3827.

So far it works pretty well. No loss of data. The only things is that i don't see my shared folders in the File station, eventhough settings are still the same as i had on the previous DSM and i can access my shared files... I guess i'll have to go through the settings again.

As soon as i find time, i'll try an install with esxi 5.1. Will let you know how it goes.

Once again thank you very much for your work all of you :smile:

Edit: problem solved. It was a user right issue.

hello, can you talk more about your upgrade step?

which boot option do you choose when boot with 10.3 gnoboot-alpha or gnoboot-me ?

and did you upgrade via DSM or syno assistant?

Hi newbi,

I have a HP N54L with Trantor's v5.4418 (installed locally without any virtualization).

I have just downloaded the image here : http://www.firedrive.com/file/52CCF5D28D3EFDAD (link found in this forum as Google drive is saturated)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545

Everything works for me.

Great :smile: have you got a link to the correct pat file please :smile:

thanks for your help dude...

Hi newbi,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545

Everything works for me.

pat file can be found from the official synology website

you may use DS3612xs as your syno model (which is most commonly used model in xpenology)

Hi newbi,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545

Everything works for me.

pat file can be found from the official synology website

you may use DS3612xs as your syno model (which is most commonly used model in xpenology)

Thanks again :smile:

I just realized I got no VGA on my TV(no monitor) so I can't pick "gnoboot-me" :sad: dame it....

Hi newbi,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2545

Everything works for me.

I do confirm it works!!

I have a N54, was on trantor 4.3.

I used the above tutorial and now i'm on 5.0 4458

I've only lost rights on files.

Thank you Gnoboot!! Can I pay you a beer??

I upgraded from DSM 5.0 beta build 4418 (upgrade 1) "Trantor's build" with NO problems.

I have a HP N54L (native installation)

Did not loose rights on folders/files either..

Just follow the guide as described.

One thing you do need which is not mentioned anywhere is a monitor (VGA or something)

AND a keyboard. Then you are ALL good to go.... :grin:

Happy upgrading!

I upgraded from DSM 5.0 beta build 4418 (upgrade 1) "Trantor's build" with NO problems.

One thing you do need which is not mentioned anywhere is a monitor (VGA or something)

Happy upgrading!

I will have to wait till Trantor does his version. :sad:

But thanks to people for their help :smile:

Happy upgrading!

I will have to wait till Trantor does his version. :sad:

But thanks to people for their help :smile:

If you have no monitor, you could always make another copy, but edit the grub menus for the upgrade path. then once upgraded switch to regular version.

If you don't have any monitor, but at least a keyboard you can try the following :

- press downkey

- wait 3 seconds

- press enter

It should do the gnobot-me selection without a vga monitor

Would I have to press the down key when I switch it on or wait for a bit? I got a keyboard now :smile:

thanks to everyone for putting up with me :smile:

I think I will need a vga to hdmi converter.

If you don't have any monitor, but at least a keyboard you can try the following :

- press downkey

- wait 3 seconds

- press enter

It should do the gnobot-me selection without a vga monitor

Would I have to press the down key when I switch it on or wait for a bit? I got a keyboard now :smile:

thanks to everyone for putting up with me :smile:

I think I will need a vga to hdmi converter.

Personally I would buy a cheap monitor. VGA to HDMI cables are quite expensive. Or a cheap graphics card with dvi/HDMI. You can easily pick them up for £25.

Even easier is to just modify grub menu and change default to 1 for gnoboot me post upgrade change it back.

You forgot to include the Ethernet controller, pm me instead. BTW, a few users were able to install gnoboot without any issues on hyper-v @nas1.cn .

Hello!

first let me thank you for your hard work, i just read about gnoboot and its looking really good :smile:

I tried to install it under my hyperv 2012 r2 and got your alpha 10.3 and im having the same issue like offensive1985, there is no network connection when i use the normal network adapter. But when i use the legacy one i can find the diskstation in the dsm assistant.

Your advise was the one in the quote, but i have to admit i dont really understand what you mean by that.

But in the meantime new versions arrived so is it possible now to run the 10.3 under hyperv with normal network or do i have to run the legacy adapter ?

Of course i would also be very happy if somebody else has an advice for me !

thank you in advance :smile:

greetings

simmboo