XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Also, does anyone else see orphaned inodes at boot? Is this normal? I seem to get 1 every boot.

2vl48yp.jpg

me 2, I used alpha7 to install the 4458, and then turned to 10.2, I also got these orphaned inodes messages

How ? Could you show the step?

- dd alpha7

- web install 4458

is that ok ?

He won't give the password to you, because this guy likes to play "special tricks", like saying that he's leaving and that will no longer release updates, or that he would put a password on his files and let you wonder what the password might be.... check with his website.

Frankly I would not want to have to deal with such a smart ass, especially when it comes to data safety. The gnoboot might be wonderful, but I do not want to depend on this kid's moods and stick with Trantor's releases.

eSATA question: Is it possible to designate a specific sata port as esata port?

I have a 5 bay hard drive enclosure, connected to a LSI 9201-8i in passthrough (esxi 5.5 system). 4 drives are part of my DSM array, and i'd like to use the 5 slot as a backup slot if I can somehow get DSM to recognize it as esata.

He won't give the password to you, because this guy likes to play "special tricks", like saying that he's leaving and that will no longer release updates, or that he would put a password on his files and let you wonder what the password might be.... check with his website.

Frankly I would not want to have to deal with such a smart ass, especially when it comes to data safety. The gnoboot might be wonderful, but I do not want to depend on this kid's moods and stick with Trantor's releases.

I don't think that's the case at all, If you ask kindly he usually responds. Gnoboot spends his time to share his work with the community, asking for clicking on his adds, or donations is just. How often do you work for free? Probably never. If you don't like gnoboots methods you have every right to wait for Trantor (another great person that shares his findings as well), use another OS, or just go spend $3000 on a real Synology. (patience is your friend)

Can someone please tell me how to get the password for gnoboot-alpha-vfat.img and gnoboot-alpha-zImage thanks.

apologies ... then secondly. can this be used on a physical machine and not a vm the posts arent very clear.

gnoboot : can you please send me the password to use the files. thanks in advance

Edited by Guest

I have a 5 bay hard drive enclosure, connected to a LSI 9201-8i in passthrough (esxi 5.5 system). 4 drives are part of my DSM array, and i'd like to use the 5 slot as a backup slot if I can somehow get DSM to recognize it as esata.

try play with /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

internalportcfg=

esataportcfg=

internalportcfg + esataportcfg should = 0xfffff

you may try one by one which bit correponding to that particular port you want to set it as esata port

internalportcfg=

esataportcfg=

you may try one by one which bit correponding to that particular port you want to set it as esata port

Thanks, I'll have to play around to try to understand how it works on my test system (soon as I put back together).

The values on my real system are as follows:

usbportcfg	 ="0xf00000"
esataportcfg	="0xff000"
internalportcfg  ="0xfff"

does each bit equal a port? so in order to change 5th port I make values to this?

usbportcfg	 ="0xf00000"
esataportcfg	="0xff010"
internalportcfg  ="0xfef"

edit: Yay, It worked! At first it wasn't working (doing all tests with virtual disks), then I realized my 5th disk wasn't partitioned or formatted. After that it showed up in external devices :smile:

Anyone ever see their read transfer speed just die for some reason? It just happened to me. I looked at esxi performance and saw CPU was pretty high, but in DSM no processes using much cpu.

In this pic you can see the high VM cpu usage correlates with the drop in read transfer speed. Then the cpu drops off, and my read speed come back to normal :???:

9Eajf8r.png

All the drives are on LSI 9201-8i, using gnoboot 10.2 w/ VTd (passthrough). Drive 5 is setup as esata for backup purposes.

edit: you'll also notice that while reads dropped off a ton, writes were still going at decent rate (even though they dropped some too)... is data getting buffered or something?

internalportcfg=

esataportcfg=

Thanks, I'll have to play around to try to understand how it works on my test system (soon as I put back together).

The values on my real system are as follows:

usbportcfg	 ="0xf00000"
esataportcfg	="0xff000"
internalportcfg  ="0xfff"

does each bit equal a port? so in order to change 5th port I make values to this?

usbportcfg	 ="0xf00000"
esataportcfg	="0xff010"
internalportcfg  ="0xfef"

edit: Yay, It worked! At first it wasn't working (doing all tests with virtual disks), then I realized my 5th disk wasn't partitioned or formatted. After that it showed up in external devices :smile:

convert the hexadecimal format to binary format, maybe it is more easy to understand

0xfffff (in hex) = 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 .... 1111 (in binary)

each bit = one port (1=enable, 0=disable)