XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Hello,

I can issue the command then?

I'm not so fit under Linux.

I that case can not access the nas still I can do with an attached keyboard inputs.

The I217V network card is unfortunately known that this produces trouble on Linux.

Have now only times installed a Realtek card, so that Nas is working properly.

If you do not have an idea how can I change'd like to test it.

Could I get the Alpha 10 version for testing.

Thanks and regards

Michael

The Problem.is xens para disks are reflected as xda xdb etc... Syno needs them to be at /dev/sda and so on

@gno: Probably that behavior is tuneable in the driver?

Nope, but there's a workaround which is a bit ugly or modify the driver but I'm not sure about its side effect. :???:

@billy

Are you running nested Xen on HyperV? Can you login to console and try running virt-what?

No, I am using standard XenServer 6.2 on hardware (Intel Xeon 5130).

virt-what returns hyperv... :/ (same as in dmesg...)

I digged little bit around and:

"dmidecode -s system-manufacturer" reports "Xen"

"virt-what-cpuid-helper" reports "Microsoft Hv"

"cat /sys/hypervisor/type" reports "xen"

I found this mail https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-to ... 00126.html , it seems that because I am not using any specific VM Template for hosting gnoBoot, and using "Other media" option (when choosing Guest OS), Xen uses HVM and emulates some Hyper-V features for Windows 8.

To disable this I did:

xe vm-list
-> get gnoBoot vm UUID

xe vm-param-set uuid=2..... platform:viridian=false
-> reboot gnoBoot VM

virt-what-cpuid-helper now correctly reports "XenVMMXenVMM" and virt-what after prompting for any character reports "xen" and "xen-hvm".

So in conclusion making Xen & gnoBoot use paravirt will be fun :smile:.

Edited by Guest

Hi

Feedback for Alpha 10 with Trantor's DSM Beta 5.0 on ESXi 5.0

I dd'ed the image on sda (64MB LSILogic SCSI Drive - I understood it right, that this version should support that?) and modified menu.lst to default 1 (menu_me)

Then modified menu_me.lst to default 2 (DSM 5.0 entry)

Afthe the system booted I tried to install the pat using DS assistant and later once again with Web Assistant.

Non of both ways worked. The Installation runs very fast (less than two minutes). The VM reboots but reboots into install environment...

If iI start a rescue system I can see every disc now has raid partition what means for me it did something...

I also did not have to "reflash" gnoboot!

//I tried to boot gno-alpha and it worked. Did I understand something wrong?

Hi

Feedback for Alpha 10 with Trantor's DSM Beta 5.0 on ESXi 5.0

I dd'ed the image on sda (64MB LSILogic SCSI Drive - I understood it right, that this version should support that?) and modified menu.lst to default 1 (menu_me)

Then modified menu_me.lst to default 2 (DSM 5.0 entry)

Afthe the system booted I tried to install the pat using DS assistant and later once again with Web Assistant.

Non of both ways worked. The Installation runs very fast (less than two minutes). The VM reboots but reboots into install environment...

If iI start a rescue system I can see every disc now has raid partition what means for me it did something...

I also did not have to "reflash" gnoboot!

//I tried to boot gno-alpha and it worked. Did I understand something wrong?

Why modify grub menus to default to install option? You only use that option once, then use normal boot after the install.

How is your install failing? Error message? If it appears to go through install fine, but reboots back to install again, probably because you changed grub to always boot into install mode :razz:

Could anyone please try to expand a volume with an additional HDD?

I hav an SHR over 3 HDDs and want to add a 4th HDD to enlarge it.

If just goes through the process showing the percent of progress.

After 100% it just says "Expanding" and I cannot access the storage dialog anymore

I am trying this using DSM 5.0 beta

Subject: XPEnology gnoBoot

After 100% it just says "Expanding" and I cannot access the storage dialog anymore

run `cat /proc/mdstat` to see the raid rebuild status, it may take few hours/days to complete. How big is your volume? Are you using disk group?

I'll let you know in a couple days. Just ordered another WD 3TB Red NAS drive. I'll give it a try on my test system that currently has 3 x 3TB by adding the 4th disk to the array.

A while ago, way before gnoboot or xpeneology existed, I was using qnology. I added a disk to expand my array and it blew out my volume. Took a long time of research and help from folks on the internet to get my data off. Basically that data partition got deleted off each disk. I've since expanded an array of a synology VM (wasn't gnoboot), but now I make backups of my partition tables just in case something goes wrong :wink:

I just did the same thing you are asking about. I actually migrated from a dual 3tb shr drive setup from DS213 to hp microserver gen8 running esxi 5.5, gnoboot alpha9 and synology 4.3.

I took one of the 3tb drives out and stuck a new one, both in RDM mode so synology saw a

Degraded volume. I added another 3tb drive and let it parity check for 1.5 days. After that, I added another 3tb drive and it took 4 days to expand volume. After that, I had to click another option to expand volume but it would stop right away. In the logs, there were comments of file system errors so expansion could not occur. I read some tutorial to log into the shell and run fsck.ext4 and after a reboot, I could expand the volume.

Good luck!

I've since expanded an array of a synology VM (wasn't gnoboot), but now I make backups of my partition tables just in case something goes wrong :wink:

What commands do you run to backup the partition tables? I think I'll do nye same before expanding.

http://www.ducea.com/2006/10/09/partition-table-backup/

And apparently GPT partitions can't be backed up with sfdisk. Gotta use a different program http://askubuntu.com/questions/57908/ho ... to-another

My new array is GPT but I haven't backed them up yet. They are in my test system until I migrate all the data off my real system.

Some updates about my volume expansion problem:

mdstat shows the md5 as a raid5 with 4 disks (seems to be enlarged on disk 4) and no information about the rebuild so it should be OK!

But DSM does not let me reboot as its doing work on volumes and also I can not access the storage manager anymore... (It is loading very very long and when I can access it every list is empty. If you stay in an empty list it says network connection failed but DSM is still accessible so it just seems to be an inresponsive service or something similar)

But I CAN access my data... The Widget still shows 6 GB size and it is called "Volume 1 (Expanding)" (translated it from german to english)

Now I tried to enter the reboot command at the console. After five minutes of no response I used the virtual reset button.

Now I was able to start the expansion manually using the "Manage Volume" Button... It worked...

Hi,

yesterday tested alpha10 with my new Esxi 5.1 Installation. Worked like a charm. Almost too easy.

Reconsidering a native install on my N54L. Has somebody a working installation and tested the hibernate/Power-On/Off

Bios-Fuckup-problem with gnoboot? That was my Deal-Breaker with Trantors-Image.

Regards,

Desq

Dear gnoboot,

Does no mutil media driver mean no ffmpeg?

I got a problem on photo station, it cannot make then thumb icon for some dc movie files.

Last time, I use dsm 4.2 something, it work, most .mov could view in photo station,

Also I got error msg "...coder could not be load/active ... Convention abort ...

Or just the dsm problem and I need a fresh installation.

Now, I try the dsm on ESXi 5.5 by N40L, it is good and better then VB,

Re/wr speed also fast abit.

p.s. where could i download "gnoboot-openvmtools-v4" ??

Thank again for your great work!

Carl

Dear gnoboot,

Does no mutil media driver mean no ffmpeg?

I got a problem on photo station, it cannot make then thumb icon for some dc movie files.

Last time, I use dsm 4.2 something, it work, most .mov could view in photo station,

Also I got error msg "...coder could not be load/active ... Convention abort ...

Or just the dsm problem and I need a fresh installation.

Now, I try the dsm on ESXi 5.5 by N40L, it is good and better then VB,

Re/wr speed also fast abit.

p.s. where could i download "gnoboot-openvmtools-v4" ??

Thank again for your great work!

Carl

Nope, it has nothing to do with ffmpeg.

Running today's gnoboot-alpha-zImage with rd.v5.gz on ESXI 5.5 HP N40L

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After trying gnoboot-alpha-zImage of your google-drive every 2 seconds in log:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: SmartDataRead(101) open device /dev/sda fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sda fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: SmartDataRead(107) read value /dev/sdc fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sdc fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: SmartDataRead(107) read value /dev/sdd fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sdd fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: SmartDataRead(107) read value /dev/sde fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sde fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: external/external_fan_table_type_disk_temperature_ops.c:230 Invalid Disks temperature -1

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: external/external_fan_config_table_lookup.c:148 Temperature Get fail

When Trying to install open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544.spk of your google-drive:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.Package.Installation[1].install[21988]: pkginstall.cpp:386 Failed to run preinst script for open-vm-tools

When Trying to install kexec-tools-bromolow-2.0.5-1.spk of your google-drive:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install kexec-tools 2.0.5-1 successfully

Start kexec-tools: start 2.0.5-1 failed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sda fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sdc fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sdd fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: disk_temperature_get.c:71 read value /dev/sde fail

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: external/external_fan_table_type_disk_temperature_ops.c:230 Invalid Disks temperature -1

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: external/external_fan_config_table_lookup.c:148 Temperature Get fail <- Because smart is not supported on VMs.

When Trying to install open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544.spk of your google-drive:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.Package.Installation[1].install[21988]: pkginstall.cpp:386 Failed to run preinst script for open-vm-tools <- DSM5 is not supported, I'm still working on it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start kexec-tools: start 2.0.5-1 failed -> That's fine.

Mar 7 11:30:41 SYNOLOGY5 scemd: external/external_fan_config_table_lookup.c:148 Temperature Get fail <- Because smart is not supported on VMs.

I have this advanced-RDMfilter-option unchecked in ESXI and I can use smrtctl now:

SYNOLOGY5>  smartctl -a /dev/sdc
smartctl 6.2 (build date Dec 21 2013) [x86_64-linux-3.2.40] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital AV-GP
Device Model:     WDC WD20EVDS-63T3B0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAVY1775710
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 203ce7dbe
Firmware Version: 01.00A01
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Local Time is:    Fri Mar  7 14:37:46 2014 CET
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART STATUS RETURN: incomplete response, ATA output registers missing
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity
                                       was suspended by an interrupting command                                                                                                  from host.
                                       Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                       without error or no self-test has ever
                                       been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                (43200) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                       Auto Offline data collection on/off supp                                                                                                 ort.
                                       Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                       command.
                                       Offline surface scan supported.
                                       Self-test supported.
                                       Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                       Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                       power-saving mode.
                                       Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                       General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 491) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x303f) SCT Status supported.
                                       SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                       SCT Feature Control supported.
                                       SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_                                                                                                 FAILED RAW_VALUE
 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -                                                                                                        0
 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   216   145   021    Pre-fail  Always       -                                                                                                        6175
 4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        49
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -                                                                                                        0
 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   060   060   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        29836
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        48
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        40
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        636
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   119   100   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        33
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -                                                                                                        0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -                                                                                                        0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -                                                                                                        0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
   1        0        0  Not_testing
   2        0        0  Not_testing
   3        0        0  Not_testing
   4        0        0  Not_testing
   5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
 After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

So I thought that it could work maybe.....

Anyway, I would like to get rid of the logging.....

entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.Package.Installation[1].install[21988]: pkginstall.cpp:386 Failed to run preinst script for open-vm-tools <- DSM5 is not supported, I'm still working on it

OK, I understand

Start kexec-tools: start 2.0.5-1 failed -> That's fine.

What do you mean with That's fine?

Follow up for Xen Paravirtualization:

uname -a

Linux DiskStation 3.2.40 #2 SMP Fri Feb 28 08:52:14 CST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromlow_3612xs

According to this article http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX121875 , for sucessful paravirt booting it is recomended to do something like this:

initrd --omit-scsi-modules --with=xennet --with=xenblk --preload=xenblk initrd-$(uname -r)xen-no-scsi.img $(uname -r)xen

which is I guess not an option here.. (disabling scsi modules), anyway booting is then realized by pygrub and kernel is executed with additional params "console=hvc0 xencons=hvc".

I hope it is still feasible to paravirt gnoBoot :smile: