XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

setup is hp n54l running of a usb memory

1 250 datastore drive from the optical bay sata connection

3*3tb wd red drives rdm mapped straight to the dsm machine

16gb memory

now its running flawless with trantors release running straight off the machine.

but my plan is to run a few more virtual machines on this server.

so i went for esxi.

used a ubuntu live cd and dd'd in gnoboot alpha 5, tried official pat and same pat as trantors and it installs just fine but the error i get straight at the diskstation login if i look on the console is : scemd[10103]: segfault at ip 8 "loads of numbers" and it ends with error 4

hi all! please help me to convert last gnoboot image to img format for usbit162 (windows tool for burn img to USB or backup usb) Becouse, if i burn last image, PC does not boot (( thanks

What file are you working with? Alpha 9 isn't a disk image, it's a kernel zImage. Some of the prior release were actual disk images that have grub, and a zImage on them. you need to swap out the zImage from one of the older release that was a disk image.

Today i looked into boot message of dmesg, and found there is some error output:

[sat Mar 1 22:44:58 2014] fan: Unknown symbol thermal_cooling_device_register (err 0)

[sat Mar 1 22:44:58 2014] fan: Unknown symbol thermal_cooling_device_unregister (err 0)

It seems fan.ko is not load, and "lsmod |grep fan" output nothing. I studied module in /lib/modules and gnoboot's modules.conf in /.gnoboot/, and found maybe you missed load thermal_sys.ko depended by fan.ko, so may be you should change line in modules.conf to this:

HD_ACPI="button container thermal_sys fan processor thermal video"

modules.conf is no longer use, all modules configuration are noew stored in modules.d. I will fix it on the next release. Thanks for reporting. :wink:

hi all! please help me to convert last gnoboot image to img format for usbit162 (windows tool for burn img to USB or backup usb) Becouse, if i burn last image, PC does not boot (( thanks

What file are you working with? Alpha 9 isn't a disk image, it's a kernel zImage. Some of the prior release were actual disk images that have grub, and a zImage on them. you need to swap out the zImage from one of the older release that was a disk image.

Correct, you can still find alpha7 boot image on my blog and replace zImage.

Warning: To all ESX5.X users using tg3 driver, check kb2072515.

Please forgive my noobiness but I'm trying to understand this zimage thing and it's not making sense to me. I've installed linux and i'm trying to find out how to update the old boot image with the new zimage but I can't quite figure that out. From what I gather the old boot image is a filesystem not a traditional image like a .iso.

I have been trying for hours just to see the contents of the old alpha boot image with no success.

On the flip side, I have figured out how vbox guest additions share folders work with a mac. :smile:

I've upgraded to alpha-v9 and running DSM 5.0.4811. Thanks for the author of gnoBoot! :cool:

Is there anyone tried to make the "PC-Speaker" beep at some "abnormal" situation?

(such as "system boot" or "Press the power button and system shutdown" or "SSD cache fail" according to DSM 5 control panel)

I think it will be quite useful for administration.

Please forgive my noobiness but I'm trying to understand this zimage thing and it's not making sense to me. I've installed linux and i'm trying to find out how to update the old boot image with the new zimage but I can't quite figure that out. From what I gather the old boot image is a filesystem not a traditional image like a .iso.

I have been trying for hours just to see the contents of the old alpha boot image with no success.

I was using windows programs to do it, but they are PIA to get working correctly, so I figured out how to do it in linux.

fdisk -l image.img. you'll see it has a partition that starts at sector 63. And that each sector is 512 bytes. so then setup a loop device of the image file starting at that offset (so you can access the partition). Then mount it. delete the old zImage, copy over new one. Sync (not sure if needed - can't hurt?). unmount it. delete the loop device. you now have updated image file :smile:

I created a little script that does it for me and shows the stats of the old zImage and new one so I know it updated. BTW, you can do this with both a image file, or esxi vdmk.

losetup /dev/loop0 gnoboot-flat.vmdk -o $((63*512))
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt
stat /mnt/zImage
rm /mnt/zImage
cp zImage /mnt
chmod 644 /mnt/zImage
stat /mnt/zImage
sync
umount /dev/loop0
losetup -d /dev/loop0

when using my script, i have both the image file and new zImage in the same path as the script.

I was using windows programs to do it, but they are PIA to get working correctly, so I figured out how to do it in linux.

fdisk -l image.img. you'll see it has a partition that starts at sector 63. And that each sector is 512 bytes. so then setup a loop device of the image file starting at that offset (so you can access the partition). Then mount it. delete the old zImage, copy over new one. Sync (not sure if needed - can't hurt?). unmount it. delete the loop device. you now have updated image file :smile:

I created a little script that does it for me and shows the stats of the old zImage and new one so I know it updated. BTW, you can do this with both a image file, or esxi vdmk.

losetup /dev/loop0 gnoboot-flat.vmdk -o $((63*512))
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt
stat /mnt/zImage
rm /mnt/zImage
cp zImage /mnt
chmod 644 /mnt/zImage
stat /mnt/zImage
sync
umount /dev/loop0
losetup -d /dev/loop0

when using my script, i have both the image file and new zImage in the same path as the script.

Well this would work but the img file I have is two small. it 32MB and the new zimage is 16mb Essentially the is not enough space on the partion to do what you did. does any one have the alph7.img file so i can put the new zimage in to that.

Thanks.

I just submitted the google docs form to get permission to download the alpha7 image. I only have the alpha5 right now as well and ran into the same issue. I realize this is alpha but just supplying regular .img files would make everyone who's trying to test this have a much easier time.

Hi!

I hope I did not make a mistake by myself causing the following issue:

I got DSM 5.0 Beta up and running on ESXi 5.0 using an 256MB disk as primary master IDE device for booting and 4 vmware Paravirtualized disks (20, 1, 1, 1 GB) just for testing before migrating my real data :smile: ...

So now when I try to create an SHR-Volume over Disks 2, 3 and 4 (20GB, 1GB, 1GB) after finishing the setup nothing happens. I just come back to the overview in the storage manager.

Note: The thrid 1GB-disk (Disk 5 in total) is for later testing to expand the existing SHR

No volume or disc group is being created. Further when I try the same just with a disc group it does not work, too. Symptoms are the same.

I did the follwing to get DSM 5.0 running:

I downloaded gnoboot alpha5 image as gnoboot.img

extracted alpha 8 update into folder gno8

downloaded the zImage of alpha9 to gno9z

#Copy image
dd if=gnoboot.img of=/dev/sda

#resize partition
fdisk -c=dos /dev/sda
  d
  n
     p

w

#FilesystemCheck is required to expand - the y accepts to create lost+found-dir
e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
  y

#expand FS to new partition size
resize2fs /dev/sda1

#mount the drive
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

#upgrade to alpha8 grub config
cp -R gno8/boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub/

#install alpha9 zImage
rm /mnt/zImage
cp gno9z /mnt/zImage

Then I edited the grub configs to boot into 5.0 mode (grub.cfg default to 1 and menu_me.lst defaults to i think it was 2 - the entry which says 5.0 in the title. I checked this while bootning - it works correctly)

I created a snapshot to return to after DS Assistant overwrites the boot disk.

Note: My data disks are setup as "Independant" so Snapshots do not affect them. Only the drive where gnoBoot is on is affected.

Then I installed the beta5.0 which I downloaded from this forum

After installer rebooted the VM I stopped it, returned to the snapshot and started it again.

It booted and DS Assistand finished successfully. I can now logon over DSM Web and have the problem described above!

Any ideas?

//Edit: System Log:

Information	System	2014/03/03 00:13:30	admin	System failed to create [Volume 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:13:30	admin	System starts to create [Volume 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:12:34	admin	System failed to create [Disk Group 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:12:34	admin	System starts to create [Disk Group 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].

I guess it counts disk 3-5 as it awaits a disk at secondary IDE as disk 2?

My setup is

CDROM at IDE 0:0

256MB at IDE 0:1

Nothing at IDE 1:0

Nothing at IDE 1:1

20GB PV at SCSI0:0

1GB PV at SCSI0:1

1GB PV at SCSI0:2

1GB PV at SCSI0:3

//Edit2:

OH! When I try to initialize the 20GB as single disc it works... Probably 1Gb is just too less?

//Edit 3:

I solved it by my self...

1 GB is indeed too less for a disk to work proberly. If you try to use it as "Base" Vallume it complains that your Volumes size has to be less than about 180TB so it sees that wrong. I tried with 8GB and it worked properly!

But I got one question open... Is it possible to hide the gnoboot partition in DSM?

I just do not want to see it as "unused disk" or for best efford not to see it anywhere at all.

Hi!

I hope I did not make a mistake by myself causing the following issue:

I got DSM 5.0 Beta up and running on ESXi 5.0 using an 256MB disk as primary master IDE device for booting and 4 vmware Paravirtualized disks (20, 1, 1, 1 GB) just for testing before migrating my real data :smile: ...

So now when I try to create an SHR-Volume over Disks 2, 3 and 4 (20GB, 1GB, 1GB) after finishing the setup nothing happens. I just come back to the overview in the storage manager.

Note: The thrid 1GB-disk (Disk 5 in total) is for later testing to expand the existing SHR

No volume or disc group is being created. Further when I try the same just with a disc group it does not work, too. Symptoms are the same.

I did the follwing to get DSM 5.0 running:

I downloaded gnoboot alpha5 image as gnoboot.img

extracted alpha 8 update into folder gno8

downloaded the zImage of alpha9 to gno9z

#Copy image
dd if=gnoboot.img of=/dev/sda

#resize partition
fdisk -c=dos /dev/sda
  d
  n
     p

w

#FilesystemCheck is required to expand - the y accepts to create lost+found-dir
e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
  y

#expand FS to new partition size
resize2fs /dev/sda1

#mount the drive
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

#upgrade to alpha8 grub config
cp -R gno8/boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub/

#install alpha9 zImage
rm /mnt/zImage
cp gno9z /mnt/zImage

Then I edited the grub configs to boot into 5.0 mode (grub.cfg default to 1 and menu_me.lst defaults to i think it was 2 - the entry which says 5.0 in the title. I checked this while bootning - it works correctly)

I created a snapshot to return to after DS Assistant overwrites the boot disk.

Note: My data disks are setup as "Independant" so Snapshots do not affect them. Only the drive where gnoBoot is on is affected.

Then I installed the beta5.0 which I downloaded from this forum

After installer rebooted the VM I stopped it, returned to the snapshot and started it again.

It booted and DS Assistand finished successfully. I can now logon over DSM Web and have the problem described above!

Any ideas?

//Edit: System Log:

Information	System	2014/03/03 00:13:30	admin	System failed to create [Volume 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:13:30	admin	System starts to create [Volume 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:12:34	admin	System failed to create [Disk Group 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].
Information	System	2014/03/03 00:12:34	admin	System starts to create [Disk Group 1](Device Type is [sHR]) with disk [3, 4, 5].

I guess it counts disk 3-5 as it awaits a disk at secondary IDE as disk 2?

My setup is

CDROM at IDE 0:0

256MB at IDE 0:1

Nothing at IDE 1:0

Nothing at IDE 1:1

20GB PV at SCSI0:0

1GB PV at SCSI0:1

1GB PV at SCSI0:2

1GB PV at SCSI0:3

//Edit2:

OH! When I try to initialize the 20GB as single disc it works... Probably 1Gb is just too less?

//Edit 3:

I solved it by my self...

1 GB is indeed too less for a disk to work proberly. If you try to use it as "Base" Vallume it complains that your Volumes size has to be less than about 180TB so it sees that wrong. I tried with 8GB and it worked properly!

But I got one question open... Is it possible to hide the gnoboot partition in DSM?

I just do not want to see it as "unused disk" or for best efford not to see it anywhere at all.

Could yo send me the alpha 8 update or the link to it. I would like to try what you have done.

Hi!

I hope I did not make a mistake by myself causing the following issue....

I think you have a couple issues. 1) your virtual disks need to be 8GB each, minimum (for DSM array). 2) you should use alpha7.img if you're using zImages after alpha6, as gnoboot changed how things work in the grub menus, and packed everything into the zImages.

gnoboot-alpha10 bootable FAT32 image will be available in the next few hours. stay tune! :wink:

How do you get password for alpha 10? I don't understand what the following means on the notes for alpha 10:

Leave your feedback from previous alpha9 to get password for new boot image.

I've posted comments on your blog, and active in your thread.. but dunno how a password will magically get to me :razz:

gnoboot-alpha10 bootable FAT32 image will be available in the next few hours. stay tune! :wink:

How do you get password for alpha 10? I don't understand what the following means on the notes for alpha 10:

Leave your feedback from previous alpha9 to get password for new boot image.

I've posted comments on your blog, and active in your thread.. but dunno how a password will magically get to me :razz:

Done, check my pm. :lol:

Hi GNOBOOT and thanks for your great work !

As a VMware user, i can test VM performance on my HP N54L ESXi 5.5 (conifg : SSD for VM OS, 4x 4Tb RED WD Drives as RDM without SHR into Xpenology distrib so as simples drives).

However, i don't find any instruction to install Gnoboot on ESXi...

Can anyone please help me or give me a link with a proper guide to install GnoBoot on ESXi ? (valide with alpha10, how to make it as vmdk, how to Mac/Serial Editing etc)...

Thank you

Philippe