XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

hey gno... how do I get mpt2sas working?

I've got alpha8 up and running with 3x Dell H310s flashed to LSI 9211-8i IT Firmware but I don't have any disks detected other than onboard SATA. :sad:

I've tried to insmod stuff but they're already loaded (mptsas, megaraid_sas, etc).

I think I need mpt2sas but it's in not /lib/modules/

According to this link, megaraid_sas is the right driver for Perc H310. Can you send me the `lspci -nn` and `dmesg` output?

gno... system is currently crashed, will try again tomorrow. Was messing around with Trantor's beta which works fine with all 24 disks enabled but as soon as I create a volume system panics and reboots and comes back up in uninstalled state.

Will try gnoboot alpha8 again tomorrow and provide lspci and dmesg output.

gno... system is currently crashed, will try again tomorrow. Was messing around with Trantor's beta which works fine with all 24 disks enabled but as soon as I create a volume system panics and reboots and comes back up in uninstalled state.

Will try gnoboot alpha8 again tomorrow and provide lspci and dmesg output.

with alpha 8 you have to use dsm 4.3 for new installs, it won't let you use dsm 5 beta - bugs. if you want to use dsm 5 you need to use a prior version of gnoboot for install, then change to alpha 8 if you want. did you try with maybe 1-2 test disks first, rather than 24? :shock:

Hmm ... it came up. Here's some info, will get lspci tomorrow...

[spoiler=CPUInfo]Primary-NAS2> cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 26

model name : Intel® Xeon® CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz

stepping : 5

microcode : 0x16

cpu MHz : 2668.000

cache size : 8192 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 8

core id : 0

cpu cores : 4

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 11

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

bogomips : 5319.25

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

processor : 1

core id : 1

apicid : 2

initial apicid : 2

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

bogomips : 5319.07

power management:

processor : 2

core id : 2

apicid : 4

initial apicid : 4

power management:

processor : 3

core id : 3

apicid : 6

initial apicid : 6

power management:

processor : 4

core id : 0

apicid : 1

initial apicid : 1

bogomips : 5319.06

power management:

processor : 5

core id : 1

apicid : 3

initial apicid : 3

power management:

processor : 6

core id : 2

apicid : 5

initial apicid : 5

power management:

processor : 7

core id : 3

apicid : 7

initial apicid : 7

power management:

[spoiler=Mem]Primary-NAS2> free

total used free shared buffers

Mem: 24688636 199264 24489372 0 6744

Swap: 2097084 0 2097084

Total: 26785720 199264 26586456

dmesg: http://emmteh.me/dmesg.txt

hey gno... how do I get mpt2sas working?

I've got alpha8 up and running with 3x Dell H310s flashed to LSI 9211-8i IT Firmware but I don't have any disks detected other than onboard SATA. :sad:

I've tried to insmod stuff but they're already loaded (mptsas, megaraid_sas, etc).

I think I need mpt2sas but it's in not /lib/modules/

According to this link, megaraid_sas is the right driver for Perc H310. Can you send me the `lspci -nn` and `dmesg` output?

I can confirm that we need mpt2sas driver module for 9211 (and those oem-remarked controllers that are flashed into 9211). On the other hand 9240 and compatibles need megaraid_sas. And 9240 reflashed into 9211 needs mpt2sas.

I myself examined this with two sas controllers (9211/IR and 9240 both reflashed into 9211 IT firmware) on suse and latest trantor's hba builds. So latest gnoboot image does not work with them.

has anyone tried upgrading using gnoboot alpha8 from 3810 >3827 > 4118? I used trantor's 3827 build yesterday and migrated fine with no data loss. However, I am unable to upgrade from 3827 gnoboot to 4118 using alpha-8. The vm just boots up, whereas I was expecting "migratable" in synology assistant.

Any ideas?

Any chance getting Xen kernel modules into gnoBoot? :smile: I would love to use paravir + xe-guest-utilities.

As long as you are willing to test it and doesn't break iSCSI. I will enable that feature. :wink:

Great, yesterday I was bit experimenting with compiling kernel modules for XEN PV, but found that kernel paravirtualization cannot be build into plugable module (.ko).

Anyway while experimenting I found this guide - http://wiki.xen.org/mediawiki/images/c/ ... _Linux.pdf , there are listed recommended kernel options (CONFIG_*) fo DomU (page 2).

I submmited my email to yours alpha9 gdocs form few days ago (regarding Xen).

From other hand, how gnoBoot works? Eg. if I understand right machine boots into gnoBoot image (including kernel) and then somehow executes DSM image?

Thanks

I used gnoBoot-alpha8 and with booting parameter of insmod=button, in but it failed with same error:

[Thu Feb 27 20:23:42 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel)

maybe you need rebuild button.ko bundled in zImage. thx

You don't need to insmod, it's already built-in in the kernel.

i was not using insmod in shell to load button.ko, i was using insmod in gnoBoot's boot options, such as like:

kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=2 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=xxxxx vga=0x318 insmod=button

and after DSM boot up, i used cmd 'lsmod | grep button' in SSH shell, and it returns nothing. and I looked in dmsg of /var/log/, it has the following error output:

[Thu Feb 27 20:23:42 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel)

So, it seems button.ko has tried to load on booting, but failed by duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register.

i was not using insmod in shell to load button.ko, i was using insmod in gnoBoot's boot options, such as like:

kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=2 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=xxxxx vga=0x318 insmod=button <- It's the same thing as loading from shell.

and after DSM boot up, i used cmd 'lsmod | grep button' in SSH shell, and it returns nothing. and I looked in dmsg of /var/log/, it has the following error output:

[Thu Feb 27 20:23:42 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel) <- Again, it's built-in!

So, it seems button.ko has tried to load on booting, but failed by duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register. <- Because you told it so...

Is alpha 9 released?

I don't understand why make us jump through hoops for downloads. I can't tell if these survey things lead to download links or are just place holders of some kind, because I've never gotten a link from one.

edit: i just noticed this on the blog for alpha 9

Download access to follow, don't fucking play with the form!

I guess that means they are place holders? Why put them in the first place? I see comments from people thanking for new release, that it fixed stuff.. :lol:

This is just holder for the next release. You no longer need to fill it up if I already given you access to my shared drive.

So what the hell is this form for? :grin:

It's simple, gives me idea which drivers I need to sync from upstream kernel/vendor, and lastly will publish the results (excluding your email) to help new users what hardware is working properly and whatnot. :wink:

This is just holder for the next release. You no longer need to fill it up if I already given you access to my shared drive.

So what the hell is this form for? :grin:

It's simple, gives me idea which drivers I need to sync from upstream kernel/vendor, and lastly will publish the results (excluding your email) to help new users what hardware is working properly and whatnot. :wink:

Any plan when to add the Ax88179 Driver?

USB3.0 to 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet

:mrgreen: hope for that

kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=2 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=xxxxx vga=0x318 insmod=button <- It's the same thing as loading from shell.

[Thu Feb 27 20:23:42 2014] button: exports duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register (owned by kernel) <- Again, it's built-in!

So, it seems button.ko has tried to load on booting, but failed by duplicate symbol acpi_lid_notifier_register. <- Because you told it so...

Ok, i see. But i try to install acpid v2.0 on DSM, it seems acpid does not get any event after press power button. I looked into source of acpid, it use two method to detect event.

First method is watching the content of file /proc/acpi/event, but on your build of boot kernel, there is not such file in /proc/acpi. When i tried to make a empty file, it failed with "can't create /proc/acpi/event: nonexistent directory"

Second method is using netlink and the input layer instead of deprecated /proc/acpi/event interface, but it also failed becuase acpid will lookup files of /dev/input//event*, they are also missing, and acpid will output:

acpid: cannot open input layer

acpid: inotify_add_watch() failed: No such file or directory (2)

So, can you fixed it?

The guy you refer to had problem with WOL in Windows. It works just fine with DSM on mine. Enabled WOL in BIOS and MAC address is matching with physical hardware. Options changed in the /etc/synoinfo.conf (not /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf)

My bad, I read it from a wrong context. So it must be a user problem or I need to get the latest driver. I'll try to backport the latest 3.2.55 driver from kernel.org.

Yeah, WOL worked just fine in previous version, with the cracked solution.

I also have changed the wol options in both /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, and I can confirm the checkbox for WOL is enabled in DSM. But WOL is still not working.

I am using the S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh script solution now. And WOL is working fine, this can be a temp workaround for now.

Got a new tg3 driver, wanna try it?

Ok, i see. But i try to install acpid v2.0 on DSM, it seems acpid does not get any event after press power button. I looked into source of acpid, it use two method to detect event.

First method is watching the content of file /proc/acpi/event, but on your build of boot kernel, there is not such file in /proc/acpi. When i tried to make a empty file, it failed with "can't create /proc/acpi/event: nonexistent directory"

Second method is using netlink and the input layer instead of deprecated /proc/acpi/event interface, but it also failed becuase acpid will lookup files of /dev/input//event*, they are also missing, and acpid will output:

acpid: cannot open input layer

acpid: inotify_add_watch() failed: No such file or directory (2)

So, can you fixed it?

I'll think about it... :roll:

Today i looked into boot message of dmesg, and found there is some error output:

[sat Mar 1 22:44:58 2014] fan: Unknown symbol thermal_cooling_device_register (err 0)

[sat Mar 1 22:44:58 2014] fan: Unknown symbol thermal_cooling_device_unregister (err 0)

It seems fan.ko is not load, and "lsmod |grep fan" output nothing. I studied module in /lib/modules and gnoboot's modules.conf in /.gnoboot/, and found maybe you missed load thermal_sys.ko depended by fan.ko, so may be you should change line in modules.conf to this:

HD_ACPI="button container thermal_sys fan processor thermal video"