XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Why so complicated?

Again: why so complicated ???

Please just make simple downloadble files without jdownload etc and it will take much less time to get started...

Or is this a test? :smile:

Yes, I think the same thing too... :smile:

It's alpha! :twisted: Don't expect a fully working boot image in every release. :grin:

my only issue is rmmod seems to not be working anymore. So I can't prevent kernel mods from loading.

Notice it too, but I don't have time to investigate. Thanks for reporting!

Yes, you are right... it is alpha software... but the download is really challenging :smile:

Anyway, this evening I found the time to test Alpha 8...

I used a HP ML110 G7, 12GB with a SD Card (SD Card reader directly on the mainboard) for booting and 2 SATA HDD for data.

GREAT Job ! Well Done.... it was working out of the box until now without any issues... surprising.

Thank you for you work!

After complete check of the disks... still running... I will copy a few TB to see how it is working, tomorrow...

I have the possibilty to compare directly with a DS1513+

Until now.... no difference...just faster.

Maik

Hello,

Little question, I had synoboot and changed for gnoboot because I wanted to upgrade to 3827.

It works fine... but... Before changing for gnoboot, I had a transfer rate about 90mb/s to 100mb/s.

Now I'm begin to above 120mb/s (same as earlier) but it drop to 40 mb/s... so I was wondering if it is because of the ethernet driver use by gnoboot, or a bug in the lastest version of DSM.

Did anybody had the same problem ?

Thanks a lot !

Hello,

Little question, I had synoboot and changed for gnoboot because I wanted to upgrade to 3827.

It works fine... but... Before changing for gnoboot, I had a transfer rate about 90mb/s to 100mb/s.

Now I'm begin to above 120mb/s (same as earlier) but it drop to 40 mb/s... so I was wondering if it is because of the ethernet driver use by gnoboot, or a bug in the lastest version of DSM.

Thanks a lot !

It's probably ethernet driver which is older compared to Trantor's synoboot. Could you provide the `lspci -vvv` result?

Yes, you are right... it is alpha software... but the download is really challenging :smile:

Anyway, this evening I found the time to test Alpha 8...

I used a HP ML110 G7, 12GB with a SD Card (SD Card reader directly on the mainboard) for booting and 2 SATA HDD for data.

GREAT Job ! Well Done.... it was working out of the box until now without any issues... surprising.

Thank you for you work!

After complete check of the disks... still running... I will copy a few TB to see how it is working, tomorrow...

I have the possibilty to compare directly with a DS1513+

Until now.... no difference...just faster.

Maik

Don't forget to send your feedback and support my effort by clicking the ADs at my blog. :grin:

I just notice DSM 5.0 toolchain is available for download. The next release might be delayed for a week or so. I'm currently working on getting max cpu to the maximum but iSCSI keeps on failing and sometimes crashing the system. :evil:

Hello,

Thanks a lot !

It's probably ethernet driver which is older compared to Trantor's synoboot. Could you provide the `lspci -vvv` result?

I tried to install ipkg to make lspci but I was unable to do it :roll: noob inside :wink:

I keep getting a 'Fixing recurive fault but reboot is needed!' message when I try to install this onto laptops. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't recommend installing on laptops. Since synoboot is using 3.2.40 kernel your laptop might need a particular firmware/driver which isn't available, refer to this bug report.

Any chance of getting synodisk to report hard drive temps correctly in VM? I know this plagues all the XPenology releases, so I don't really expect much. Just not sure why it doesn't work since smartctl can read temps just fine, but synodisk returns -1 (it actually returns -1 for any /dev/sdX you use, even drives that don't exist).

Any chance of getting synodisk to report hard drive temps correctly in VM? I know this plagues all the XPenology releases, so I don't really expect much. Just not sure why it doesn't work since smartctl can read temps just fine, but synodisk returns -1 (it actually returns -1 for any /dev/sdX you use, even drives that don't exist).

How are you presenting your disk drives? I've passed through my sata controller to xpenology and it reads the temps just fine.

How are you presenting your disk drives? I've passed through my sata controller to xpenology and it reads the temps just fine.

Well I have 2 systems right now; a test system on a DH61AG w/ i3 2120T, and my main is a DQ77KB w/ i7 3770T.

My main system is setup with esxi 5.5, and configured for RDM with onboard intel controller. My test system is setup with esxi 5.5, and RDM with LSI 9201-8i controller. I haven't tried passing through my LSI controller yet, since my test system doesn't support VTd. I plan to eventually move the LSI to my main system as I'm building a new custom enclosure for everything, and will probably test out passing through the LSI controller then.

In any event, smartctl built into DSM can read the temps on the RDM'd drives, also other OS's can read temps fine. It's just synodisk that doesn't like RDM I guess.

Well I have 2 systems right now; a test system on a DH61AG w/ i3 2120T, and my main is a DQ77KB w/ i7 3770T.

My main system is setup with esxi 5.5, and configured for RDM with onboard intel controller. My test system is setup with esxi 5.5, and RDM with LSI 9201-8i controller. I haven't tried passing through my LSI controller yet, since my test system doesn't support VTd. I plan to eventually move the LSI to my main system as I'm building a new custom enclosure for everything, and will probably test out passing through the LSI controller then.

In any event, smartctl built into DSM can read the temps on the RDM'd drives, also other OS's can read temps fine. It's just synodisk that doesn't like RDM I guess.

Try using physical RDM?

@gnoboot

I saw your recent blog posting about cpu power management. Great that you have this still in mind.

As I read in serveral forums linux powersaving with modern (haswell) cpu is quite tricky, but I'm not a linux developer :wink: . Also sata link power management seems to be a big thing for good idle power values.

http://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/Bauvorschlaege-fuer-PCs-und-Server/Re-Bauvorschlag-c-t-19-13-Experimente-mit-Ubuntu-13-04-x86-64/posting-401185/show/

Best power management is only achieved in Windows* and when several drivers are installed (Intel Inf, RST, GPU, Audio, Lan, MEI).

*http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/c-t-Labs-5-Watt-fuer-eine-Selbstverstaendlichkeit-1948002.html

@gnoboot

I saw your recent blog posting about cpu power management. Great that you have this still in mind.

As I read in serveral forums linux powersaving with modern (haswell) cpu is quite tricky, but I'm not a linux developer :wink: . Also sata link power management seems to be a big thing for good idle power values.

http://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/Bauvorschlaege-fuer-PCs-und-Server/Re-Bauvorschlag-c-t-19-13-Experimente-mit-Ubuntu-13-04-x86-64/posting-401185/show/

Best power management is only achieved in Windows* and when several drivers are installed (Intel Inf, RST, GPU, Audio, Lan, MEI).

*http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/c-t-Labs-5-Watt-fuer-eine-Selbstverstaendlichkeit-1948002.html

I agree with you, recent Intel CPU (Haswell) is not yet fully supported from older kernels. But recent developments (3.9+) has initial support for it.

For SATA power management, I think it's not a problem as a full support (hibernation) for specific drivers (Marvell) are working excellent. The vendor even has a patent about it. :???:

I'm not also a kernel programmer, just pretending. :grin:Use my kernel at your own risks. :lol:

Here' s a preview of my recent work.

[spoiler=][ 0.000000] RCU dyntick-idle grace-period acceleration is enabled.

[ 4.351649] intel_idle: does not run on family 6 model 37

[ 14.818689] cpuidle: using governor ladder

[ 14.819101] cpuidle: using governor menu

That intel_idle message doesn't appear w/o the backported driver on virtual machines. This feature has support for recent CPUs (Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Xeon). I will try to get Haswell supported as well.

Edit:

Also sata link power management seems to be a big thing for good idle power values.

ALPM is now available in several SATA controllers that use the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI). However, there is some anecdotal evidence that some controllers may go into a low power state incorrectly and this ends up causing data loss. Ubuntu has the ability to use ALPM but it it disabled by default since it can cause data loss on some machines. Read more...

Hello,

i habe a Asrock Z87E-ITX Mainboard.

Could you integrate the driver for the Giga PHY Intel® I217V network card in the next version?

Thanks

Michael

it will be included.

Anyone can confirm if the WOL function can work on not on XP gnoboot version? I tried on my N40L but failed to get WOL work.

Network card details, send me the `lspci -vvv` result?

Thanks, gnuboot. I am using HP N40L. According to the wiki page: http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Base_Hardware_N40L, it should be "Onboard NC107i PCI Express Gigabit 10/100/1000".

Here is the link to lspci result, it is pretty big so I put it on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5iugc2kguflmg5/lspci.txt

For your reference, my NIC MAC address is: a0-b3-cc-ff-fe-df-04-0f.

I can see WOL option in Hardware and Power tab, but I cannot save the changes after I enabled the WOL option on NIC. After saving, the checkbox will always get uncheck.

I also changed the eth0_wol_options and wol_enabled_options to 'g' in "/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf", but WOL still cannot work.

Thanks, gnuboot. I am using HP N40L. According to the wiki page: http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Base_Hardware_N40L, it should be "Onboard NC107i PCI Express Gigabit 10/100/1000".

Here is the link to lspci result, it is pretty big so I put it on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5iugc2kguflmg5/lspci.txt

For your reference, my NIC MAC address is: a0-b3-cc-ff-fe-df-04-0f.

I can see WOL option in Hardware and Power tab, but I cannot save the changes after I enabled the WOL option on NIC. After saving, the checkbox will always get uncheck.

I also changed the eth0_wol_options and wol_enabled_options to 'g' in "/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf", but WOL still cannot work.

Too bad, WOL support for your NIC is not good -> check here. Buy another NIC to satify your needs. :lol:

Any chance getting Xen kernel modules into gnoBoot? :smile: I would love to use paravir + xe-guest-utilities.

As long as you are willing to test it and doesn't break iSCSI. I will enable that feature. :wink:

Too bad, WOL support for your NIC is not good -> check here. Buy another NIC to satify your needs. :lol:

The guy you refer to had problem with WOL in Windows. It works just fine with DSM on mine. Enabled WOL in BIOS and MAC address is matching with physical hardware. Options changed in the /etc/synoinfo.conf (not /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf)

The guy you refer to had problem with WOL in Windows. It works just fine with DSM on mine. Enabled WOL in BIOS and MAC address is matching with physical hardware. Options changed in the /etc/synoinfo.conf (not /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf)

I’m told that these do support WOL on Windows, but not if you’re running anything else.

My bad, I read it from a wrong context. So it must be a user problem or I need to get the latest driver. I'll try to backport the latest 3.2.55 driver from kernel.org.

My bad, I read it from a wrong context. So it must be a user problem or I need to get the latest driver. I'll try to backport the latest 3.2.55 driver from kernel.org.

Yeah, WOL worked just fine in previous version, with the cracked solution.

I also have changed the wol options in both /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, and I can confirm the checkbox for WOL is enabled in DSM. But WOL is still not working.

I am using the S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh script solution now. And WOL is working fine, this can be a temp workaround for now.

hey gno... how do I get mpt2sas working?

I've got alpha8 up and running with 3x Dell H310s flashed to LSI 9211-8i IT Firmware but I don't have any disks detected other than onboard SATA. :sad:

I've tried to insmod stuff but they're already loaded (mptsas, megaraid_sas, etc).

I think I need mpt2sas but it's in not /lib/modules/