XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

gnoboot v5 keeps turning off. Since gnootboot-4418-alpha5 after I install the pat file my VM keeps shutting down. Same issue with aplha6. Any ideas as to why this maybe happening on esxi 5.1?

Edit: Appears to be exactly the same issue diverge had few pages earlier, although ihd_num=1 is populated in grub and it seems to boot up properly after several attempts.

Basically, it means synobios wasn't updated in your disk (md0). Did you noticed multiple "Updating ...." message during first boot up?

<- My bad, I forgot to copy synobios.ko in alpha6.

Not that I recall, no. I can check again using a fresh install, but it is a persistent issue with the last 4-5 installs I did. Also, open-vmtools fails to install on DSM 5 when using the spk. It just says "Operation Failed" any suggestions? <- gnoboot-openvmtools-v4 is not supported on v5.

Edit: reading around it seems to be an issue with vmware, 64bit linux kernel above v3 and amd cpus. Can anyone else confirm the same?

FYR : gnoboot alpha 5 cannot install DSM_DS3612xs_3827 :cool:

how about alpha 6

alpha 6 can only install dsm 5.0 right now

Would you be all happy if I upload alpha 7 now? Check my blog for latest update and don't forget to click the ADs, one or two click is enough;)

gnoboot v5 keeps turning off. Since gnootboot-4418-alpha5 after I install the pat file my VM keeps shutting down. Same issue with aplha6. Any ideas as to why this maybe happening on esxi 5.1?

Edit: Appears to be exactly the same issue diverge had few pages earlier, although ihd_num=1 is populated in grub and it seems to boot up properly after several attempts.

Basically, it means synobios wasn't updated in your disk (md0). Did you noticed multiple "Updating ...." message during first boot up?

<- My bad, I forgot to copy synobios.ko in alpha6.

Not that I recall, no. I can check again using a fresh install, but it is a persistent issue with the last 4-5 installs I did. Also, open-vmtools fails to install on DSM 5 when using the spk. It just says "Operation Failed" any suggestions? <- gnoboot-openvmtools-v4 is not supported on v5.

Edit: reading around it seems to be an issue with vmware, 64bit linux kernel above v3 and amd cpus. Can anyone else confirm the same?

FYR : gnoboot alpha 5 cannot install DSM_DS3612xs_3827 :cool:

how about alpha 6

alpha 6 can only install dsm 5.0 right now

Would you be all happy if I upload alpha 7 now? Check my blog for latest update and don't forget to click the ADs, one or two click is enough;)

Installed gnoboot-alpha6 with Synology's DSM_DS3612xs_4418.pat (3614xs+ was not accepted) in VMware Workstation 10 (10.0.1 build-1379776)

Updated to DSM 5.0-4418 Update 1 with manual instructions as described in: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2219&start=10

Did not install open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544.spk

2eydf84.png

10x6p9g.png

Seems working (without open-vm-tools), now testing.

The following messages are in the virtual machine.

2h3mvxl.png

Edited by Guest

Installed gnoboot-alpha6 with Synology's DSM_DS3612xs_4418.pat (3614xs+ was not accepted) in VMware Workstation 10 (10.0.1 build-1379776)

Updated to DSM 5.0-4418 Update 1 with manual instructions as described in: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2219&start=10

Did not install open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544.spk

2eydf84.png

10x6p9g.png

Seems working (without open-vm-tools), now testing.

The following messages are in the virtual machine.

2h3mvxl.png

Edited by Guest

Here's a guide on how to get the password.

[spoiler=]http://wrgms.com/post/37501692643/synologys-secret-telnet-password

Thanks for this info. From it I created a formula in a google drive spreadsheet. Just paste the following into a cell and it will calculate the password, and always update for current date.

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW())), TEXT(MONTH(NOW()) ; "*0#0") , "-", DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW())), TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()))) ; "*0#0"))

had to replace some "," with ";"

This works in Google drive spreadsheet:

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW()));TEXT(MONTH(NOW());"*0#0");"-";DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW()));TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW());MONTH(NOW())));"*0#0"))

Thanks for this info. From it I created a formula in a google drive spreadsheet. Just paste the following into a cell and it will calculate the password, and always update for current date.

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW())), TEXT(MONTH(NOW()) ; "*0#0") , "-", DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW())), TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()))) ; "*0#0"))

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW()));TEXT(MONTH(NOW());"*0#0");"-";DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW()));TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW());MONTH(NOW())));"*0#0"))

WARNING: Use it at your own risk! I will not be held responsible for any data loss or broken machine.

This boot image was built using the available source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl and some files provided by XPEnology community. I would like to thank you the community for inspiring me to work on this project.

2d848hw.png

Features:

• No need to edit vender files, uses real mac address
  • Silent and cleaner boot up messages with colorized console
  • Works with original or custom version 4.x/5.x pat files, tested with DS3612xs and RS3614xs+ pat files.
  • VMware fully supported
  • Modular drivers
  • Synoboot block device
  • Custom boot options - insmod/rmmod=driver_name, gnoboot_upgrade

Known Issues:

• Upgrading from 4.X to 5.0 beta will erase your data partition (upstream issue), backup your data or download the latest pat files.
  • Fixed - ESXi 5.x kernel traceback will power off VM, only certain releases were affected and fresh install
  • Fixed - Broken block-level iSCSI (LIO), workaround enable IET in synoinfo.conf
    [spoiler=]33jh7wn.jpg
    2r44eh2.png

Fixed - Limited support for VTd

Changelog:

[spoiler=]

• Unified ramdisk (supports v4 and v5), auto-detect hypervisor and load driver support, wireless USB (whci-hcd), gnoboot_upgrade boot option - 2/13/2014
  • Renamed mod_add/del boot options, fixed broken init scripts, Infiniband support, MMC/SD support, added more drivers (IB, 1g/10gBE, VirtIO, HyperV, Sound, Wireless, PATA/SATA/SCSI) (alpha5) - 2/09/2014
  • Dual boot menu for v4 and v5, added mod_add and mod_del boot options, and zram module updated to 3.2.54 (alpha4) - 1/30/2014
  • Added more drivers, modular ATA drivers, fixed various bugs, and smaller ramdisk size (alpha3) - 1/27/2014
  • Fixed grub error 22 and working /dev/synobootX (alpha2) - 1/25/2014
  • Added more storage and network drivers, and custom boot logo (alpha1) - 1/24/2014
  • Initial Release (alpha0) - 1/21/2014

Download link:

[spoiler=]http://tinyurl.com/gnoboot :arrow: use jdownloader to get latest version

Cannot download even with jdownloader...

WARNING: Use it at your own risk! I will not be held responsible for any data loss or broken machine.

This boot image was built using the available source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl and some files provided by XPEnology community. I would like to thank you the community for inspiring me to work on this project.

2d848hw.png

Features:

• No need to edit vender files, uses real mac address
  • Silent and cleaner boot up messages with colorized console
  • Works with original or custom version 4.x/5.x pat files, tested with DS3612xs and RS3614xs+ pat files.
  • VMware fully supported
  • Modular drivers
  • Synoboot block device
  • Custom boot options - insmod/rmmod=driver_name, gnoboot_upgrade

Known Issues:

• Upgrading from 4.X to 5.0 beta will erase your data partition (upstream issue), backup your data or download the latest pat files.
  • Fixed - ESXi 5.x kernel traceback will power off VM, only certain releases were affected and fresh install
  • Fixed - Broken block-level iSCSI (LIO), workaround enable IET in synoinfo.conf
    [spoiler=]33jh7wn.jpg
    2r44eh2.png

Fixed - Limited support for VTd

Changelog:

[spoiler=]

• Unified ramdisk (supports v4 and v5), auto-detect hypervisor and load driver support, wireless USB (whci-hcd), gnoboot_upgrade boot option - 2/13/2014
  • Renamed mod_add/del boot options, fixed broken init scripts, Infiniband support, MMC/SD support, added more drivers (IB, 1g/10gBE, VirtIO, HyperV, Sound, Wireless, PATA/SATA/SCSI) (alpha5) - 2/09/2014
  • Dual boot menu for v4 and v5, added mod_add and mod_del boot options, and zram module updated to 3.2.54 (alpha4) - 1/30/2014
  • Added more drivers, modular ATA drivers, fixed various bugs, and smaller ramdisk size (alpha3) - 1/27/2014
  • Fixed grub error 22 and working /dev/synobootX (alpha2) - 1/25/2014
  • Added more storage and network drivers, and custom boot logo (alpha1) - 1/24/2014
  • Initial Release (alpha0) - 1/21/2014

Download link:

[spoiler=]http://tinyurl.com/gnoboot :arrow: use jdownloader to get latest version

Cannot download even with jdownloader...

I had made some changes to add padded zero for single days of month. I did it a while ago but forgot to update my post. So I just updated it with your changes.

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW())); TEXT(MONTH(NOW()) ; "*0#0") ; "-"; TEXT(DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW())) ; "*0#0"); TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW());MONTH(NOW()))) ; "*0#0"))