XPEnology Community

Some questions before installing Xpenology

Goodix33

Hi,

I have recently discovered Xpenology, it seems to be interesting for my use but I have some questions before turning my NAS in a synolgy :smile:

1) In a synology hard drives are in "ext4" format, if I put some datas in a synology formatted hard drive, would the datas be available if i put this hard drive in another system like a linux?

2) Now my hard drives are formatted in ext4, if I put them into my new xpenology machine, will they be erased or not?

3) If I want to play videos in 1080p in videostation what is the minimal configuration for that?

Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my bad english

Hi,

I have recently discovered Xpenology, it seems to be interesting for my use but I have some questions before turning my NAS in a synolgy :smile:

1) In a synology hard drives are in "ext4" format, if I put some datas in a synology formatted hard drive, would the datas be available if i put this hard drive in another system like a linux? Most modern Linux distros will recognize them and allow you to access the files.

2) Now my hard drives are formatted in ext4, if I put them into my new xpenology machine, will they be erased or not?

Migration to another Synology/Xpenology system usually preserve the data, but backup is always a must.

3) If I want to play videos in 1080p in videostation what is the minimal configuration for that?

You should be good with dual core Atom/AMD/Celeron at 2.x GHz /1Gb RAM or better.

Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my bad english

Hi,

Thank you for your answers. I have an extra computer with a dual-core 2,6 GHz and 4go Ram, it might be good so.

For the disks I will see that...

It should be 64bit CPU. Core 2 duo works, dual-core (PentiumD or similar) may be questionable. If it works for you, it will be plenty of power.

Hi, on this computer it seems to be a dual core intel pentium.

I have made some tests.

With video station on my I can play any video in original size even 1080p videos, but if I use transcoding (by changing the image qualité in video station player) I can play correctly videos up to 720p, larger videos have troubles.

I have read synology documentation and it seems that 1080p transcoding is only supported by the DS214play, the other synology NAS can only transcode videos up to 720p, so it seems to be a normal comportment