XPEnology Community

Power button package

wer

I generated an easy to install package to activate a mainboard connected power button for clean shutting down (instead login in web page).

Install package for DSM 5.2, DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1(.1):

powerbutton_6.1-0004.spk

powerbutton_6.1-0005.spk

I have tested DSM 5.2 and DSM 6.1 for the DS3617 versions only in VM. Please report if there are any problems.

Spoiler

Version 6.1-005

Added Braswell to INFO

Version 6.1-004

Minor change for recognizing DSM 6.1.1

Version 6.1-003

Adding support for DSM 5.2

Version 6.1-0002

Combining DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1 in one package

Version 6.0/6.1-0001

Versions for DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1

Edited by Polanskiman
Added spoiler tag.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

I generated an easy to install package to activate a mainboard connected power button for clean shutting down (instead login in web page).

Install package for DSM 5.2, DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1:

powerbutton_6.1-0003.spk

I have tested DSM 5.2 and DSM 6.1 for the DS3617 versions only in VM. Please report if there are any problems.

I know it's kinda off topic, but... can we manage suspend to RAM mode by power button pressing?

I am asking because I can't get WOL working into XPEnology DSM so it would be OK for me to suspend the NAS manually by pressing the power button.

I know it's kinda off topic, but... can we manage suspend to RAM mode by power button pressing?

The question is how to issue a suspend to ram!

pm-utils or similiar would be needed for that. Probably it's not easy to make it work with DSM.

The question is how to issue a suspend to ram!

pm-utils or similiar would be needed for that. Probably it's not easy to make it work with DSM.

Ouch so I guess I won't solve it easily, but thanks for replying.

I am asking because I can't get WOL working into XPEnology DSM so it would be OK for me to suspend the NAS manually by pressing the power button.

Perhaps we should look at how to get your WoL going .... Have you checked all of the basics in your mb bios first and confirmed you can wake other devices on your LAN?

- WOL enabled for NIC,

- PCI-E power state correct - some boards require power management for the PCI-e bus to be set a particular way for the NIC to remain functional in a "power off" state.

Perhaps search for WoL for your motherboard and see if there's anything to set there specifically then look to DSM.

Perhaps we should look at how to get your WoL going .... Have you checked all of the basics in your mb bios first and confirmed you can wake other devices on your LAN?

- WOL enabled for NIC,

- PCI-E power state correct - some boards require power management for the PCI-e bus to be set a particular way for the NIC to remain functional in a "power off" state.

Perhaps search for WoL for your motherboard and see if there's anything to set there specifically then look to DSM.

Yes of course my motherboard can use WOL. [emoji6]

I've tested successfully with a Live Ubuntu CD session and the system went on suspension after the amount of time I choosed.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Install package for DSM 5.2, DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1(.1):

powerbutton_6.1-0004.spk

[spoiler=Changelog]Version 6.1-004

Minor change for recognizing DSM 6.1.1

Version 6.1-003

Adding support for DSM 5.2

Version 6.1-0002

Combining DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1 in one package

Version 6.0/6.1-0001

Versions for DSM 6.0 and DSM 6.1

Thanks again for your work wer; works like a charm even inside of VirtualBox :smile:

Ignorantly I just installed this on my 2 production boxes, without any testing. What could possibly go wrong, right? Wrong!

Both bare metal, running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 8. Pressing the power button only made the devices disappear from the network...an that's it, no power off. Only power cycle to bring them back online.

Removing or stopping the package is not possible in Package Center, it seems to freeze completely. Manually removed package via SSH, now all okay.

Both bare metal, running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 8. Pressing the power button only made the devices disappear from the network...an that's it, no power off.

As stated I only tested 5.2 version in VM. Instead self compiled my package only loads one additional module that was distributed here earlier. So nothing special about that. So the question probably is more what hardware do you use.

Removing or stopping the package is not possible in Package Center, it seems to freeze completely.

Could you give more details? What happens when you try to remove?

Details as requested.

Box 1; AMD C-70, ASRock C70M1, Corsair ValueSelect 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9, 2xWestern Digital Green 2TB

Box 2; AMD A4-5300, ASRock FM2A88M-HD+, Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3-1333 CL8 kit, 2x Western Digital Green 2TB, 2x Western Digital Red 2TB

So both are AMD based...

Attempts to Stop or Remove package resulted in rotating wait indicator. No responce at all anymore, also not able to close Package Center. Hard reset needed.

Attempts to Stop or Remove package resulted in rotating wait indicator. No responce at all anymore, also not able to close Package Center. Hard reset needed.

So there is obviously a problem when the needed kernel modules should be unloaded - and when the power button ACPI event "power button pushed" occurs.

I'm not sure if this is an AMD issue. There is a seperate power off thread but I haven't found something there. You might follow the orignal instruction and install manually just to see if problem remains the same.

• 1 month later...