XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Only 2 cores are recognised!

Redbull80

Hi all,

I'm running a freshly installed DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3, on a z97 motherboard with a intel core i7 4790k, which has 4 cores. When i check the info center, it says that i only have a core i3 with 2 cores only.

Is there a way that i can fix this, my xpenology is doing a lot of transcoding so i need al available cores.

Thanks,

• 1 year later...

i can't speak english well.

cat /proc/cpu : 4 core check

but

play on plex transcoding cpu use near 50% (top)

I'ts hard coded. We cant change that only 2 cores are recognised.

All cores are recognized and used, but i3 and 2 cores displayed by interface. Its a bug, but only cosmetic.

• 1 year later...
i can't speak english well.

cat /proc/cpu : 4 core check

but

play on plex transcoding cpu use near 50% (top)

I'ts hard coded. We cant change that only 2 cores are recognised.

All cores are recognized and used, but i3 and 2 cores displayed by interface. Its a bug, but only cosmetic.

Apologies to dig up an old post. Regarding xpenology cpu usage when running plex, I had a similar issue as the quoted person above.

My xpenology is running on esxi 6.0 with a e3 1240 v2 4c8t cpu. That translate into 8 cores in esxi I believe. I first assigned 2 of the cores to run my xpenology and had reached 100% cpu usage (in dsm resource monitor) when running plex server to dine mkv movie to my android box; the movie is in 1080 and played with occasion lag or pause. I then thought 2 cores is not enough so I up it to 4 cores. The same lag and pause still exist and not imported a t all with cpu usage 100% as well. For both 2 and 4 cores setup, I had to change the playback to 720 to ensure a smooth playback.

I am thinking the change if vm cores number does not get transfer to dsm, or xpenology is not coded to accommodate the change? Or once 2 cores is recognised at first setup, it will not change even 4 cores is provided after?

• 1 month later...

I'd be interested in this too, does DSM actually use all the cpu's and not just the hard coded 2 limit imposed. I'm currently running Jun's mod v1.01 with DSM 6.0.2 and 2 cpu's passed through via ESXi 6.5.

So far its running nicely, but I'd like to bump up the cpu count (only if it will use it).

On a side note, is there a restriction on the amount of memory DSM can use?

Cheers

Asgaroth

This problem has been haunting me

Really want to be able to display correctly

cpu:J4205

Thank you for everyone

It just wont be possible unless you recompile DSM from scratch and change accordingly the source code to match your CPU name and speed.

Thank you for your answer

opty said:
@ lastkiss

what about the turbo boost on J4205, is it working? what is your over all experience with this board. currently i am using Q1900 and very happy with it and in the market for a second NAS.

how to test turbo boost?

I am also a beginner

-----------------------

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 92
model name : Intel® Pentium® CPU J4205 @ 1.50GHz
stepping : 9
microcode : 0x1e
cpu MHz : 1501.000
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 21
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep erms rdseed smap
bogomips : 2995.43
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: