XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

Hello!

This is core and config file that is currently working on my microserver: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... l3a0k/edit

Unfortunately usb not working properly (like in virtualbox).

I have 5 sata drives and usb flash with xpenology connected.

That's good news. Do we just have to replace those files on the usb created with the synoboot image?

Any other advice? (like specific BIOS settings or similar...)

Thank you. I'll try it a bit later.

That's good news. Do we just have to replace those files on the usb created with the synoboot image?

Yes! Try to replace xpenology zImage with zImage from my archive.

All modules should normally be loaded.

Any other advice? (like specific BIOS settings or similar...)

Default network controller mac address must be set in file, called "vender", with hex editor.

I'm trying it right now, but it doesn't work.... Assistant doesn't detect it.

I have modified the USB with your zImage file.

zImage md5: 22191386e059d1ef731cf6c00fecacb4

This is my current set:

Target: N40L with 8GB Ram ECC with modified BIOS to enable all SATA ports.

Synology Assistant Client: iMac running bootcamp for this, Windows firewall disabled, AV uninstalled.

DHCP Server enabled

All connected to a gigabit switch.

:sad:

I'm trying it right now, but it doesn't work.... Assistant doesn't detect it.

I have modified the USB with your zImage file.

zImage md5: 22191386e059d1ef731cf6c00fecacb4

This is my current set:

Target: N40L with 8GB Ram ECC with modified BIOS to enable all SATA ports.

Synology Assistant Client: iMac running bootcamp for this, Windows firewall disabled, AV uninstalled.

DHCP Server enabled

All connected to a gigabit switch.

:sad:

Hi XoN,

Thank you for your advise for me in another subject.

But I'm still confused by the below questions. If anyone can help me on this. thanks.

1. How did you modify your USB flash with Nighthawk's zimage file. I got a format notice when I was trying to open my USB flash with XPEnology boot image in Windows.

2. Where I can find the Vender file, I extracted XPEnology image, but didn't find that file.

:???:

1. How did you modify your USB flash with Nighthawk's zimage file. I got a format notice when I was trying to open my USB flash with XPEnology boot image in Windows.

The USB stick once you use USB-RAW Tool, is in EXT2 format, you need this to access it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Once installed you should be able to mount the USB.

2. Where I can find the Vender file, I extracted XPEnology image, but didn't find that file.

I would say that you need to search for the NIC MAC address, but as I don't know this for sure, maybe NightHawk can provide more information.

Anyway, as he stated in a comment before, this change is not really required as long as you have only one device in your network.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhEINjUOdWExQ1I5QjBEY2M/edit

This is same kernel, with built-in atheros drivers.

My N36L have different NIC.

I love you man xD I'll try it again tonigh.

Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhEINjUOdWExQ1I5QjBEY2M/edit

This is same kernel, with built-in atheros drivers.

My N36L have different NIC.

Not working, I've been seeking with nmap, and wireshark hoping to capture the DHCP request... but nothing...

I just saw that in the N40L wiki the LAN interface is shown as : Onboard NC107i PCI Express Gigabit 10/100/1000

Considering my hacked BIOS, this could be possible. Sorry for time waste.

Hi, have a N40L as well. I installed XPEnology under virtualbox, and i will have to try XPEnology on the N40L as well...

HP Proliant microserver: N36L, N40L, N54L seem all to use the Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter.

The NC107i is Broadcom BCM5723 chipset, no JUMBO frame support. the modded bios wouldn't change the way the NIC is recognised in my opinion...

Nighthawk. when you say "My N36L have different NIC" do you mean an added NIC in the PCIe slot ? I don't remember broadcom being a used chip in synology hardware? Am i correct in saying broadcom NICs aren't supported (yet) in XPEnology ? If you have an added card, what's the model please ?

INTEL 9301CT seem supported [http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1&start=10#p26] by XPEnology and the microserver but the card doesn't appear to have a small form factor bracket...

The modded bios wouldn't change the way the NIC is recognised in my opinion...

Nighthawk. when you say "My N36L have different NIC" do you mean an added NIC in the PCIe slot ? I don't remember broadcom being a used chip in synology hardware? Am i correct in saying broadcom NICs aren't supported (yet) in XPEnology ? If you have an added card, what's the model please ?

Well, as you can see in my BIOS screenshot, the NIC name shows as an Atheros chipset, but It has NC107i and according to the hardware specifications, both N36L and N40L have the same. This is why he wrote "My N36L have different NIC" .

According to the LSPCI on Debian this is the network device:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)

ZeroQI , If you can make it work on your N40L, it would be great :grin:

Do you have default BIOS?

This is usb flash image with dsm from my microserver:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... BkN3c/edit

And this is some modules, which makes usb 2.0 works properly:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... hLSzg/edit

Just write this image on your usb flash and change mac in "vender" file on a second partition to coincide with your stock MAC

After successful installation (if successful), you need to copy all the modules (*.ko) into /lib/modules/, to fix usb.

For example how i do it with scp utility:

[nighthawk@localhost modules]$ scp -r *.ko root@192.168.1.20:/lib/modules/
root@192.168.1.20's password: 
cdc-acm.ko                                                        100%   36KB  35.7KB/s   00:00    
cdc_ether.ko                                                      100%   12KB  11.7KB/s   00:00    
cdc_ncm.ko                                                        100%   16KB  15.7KB/s   00:00    
ehci-hcd.ko                                                       100%   57KB  56.6KB/s   00:00    
fuse.ko                                                           100%  106KB 105.9KB/s   00:00    
uhci-hcd.ko                                                       100%   34KB  34.2KB/s   00:00    
usb-common.ko                                                     100% 3328     3.3KB/s   00:00    
usbcore.ko                                                        100%  234KB 233.5KB/s   00:00    
usbhid.ko                                                         100%   45KB  45.4KB/s   00:00    
usbip_common_mod.ko                                               100%   29KB  29.2KB/s   00:00    
usbip.ko                                                          100%   32KB  31.8KB/s   00:00    
usblp.ko                                                          100%   22KB  21.9KB/s   00:00    
usbnet.ko                                                         100%   30KB  30.4KB/s   00:00    
usb-storage.ko                                                    100%  107KB 106.5KB/s   00:00    
xhci-hcd.ko                                                       100%  115KB 114.6KB/s   00:00    

I found this board because I was exploring if DSM could be ported to the Raspberry Pi. But this is way more interesting.

I have some noob-questions, and I suspect I know the answer to some, but just to be absolutely clear:

- I can install this on an N40L and this will act like a proper synology nas?

- What would happen in the future if the server dies? Can I pull out a drive, put it in a USB enclosure, and access my data?

- Can I just install any of the packages that Synology offers in their 'appstore'?

- Could transcoding video to tablets and phones work using things like Plex?

- How fast are filetransfers?

- How will updating to new versions of DSM work? Will it even be possible?

- If I put in two drives now, can I add a third later? What will that do?

- Is it recommended to modify the bios or not?

- Does the device go into standby or low-power when there is no activity?

- Is this legal? If not: will Synology be able to block access to their services?

- How does DSM react to things like the VGA out?

- How does it react to internal audio-out? Does that work?

- Does the built-in raid do anything? Or are Synology boxes normally software raid?

- Does USB support work properly, so I can hook up a USB audiocard or USB TV-Tuner?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry but I am very new to this. Can you explain in detail what to do with the MAC?

Find a file called "vender" in the second partition of your flash with dsm image, then open it in a hex editor.

Find offset 0x1 to 0x6 (D8 D3 85 B1 AE 8E) and replace it on your own MAC.

- I can install this on an N40L and this will act like a proper synology nas?

Yes, more or less. You understand that there is no guarantee that everything will work as expected?

- What would happen in the future if the server dies? Can I pull out a drive, put it in a USB enclosure, and access my data?

DSM uses linux software raid, which assumes compatibility with other distributions of linux.

It depends on what type of raid you ate using.

- Can I just install any of the packages that Synology offers in their 'appstore'?

Generally yes!

- Could transcoding video to tablets and phones work using things like Plex?

- How fast are filetransfers?

Just try it!

- How will updating to new versions of DSM work? Will it even be possible?

This will be done later, perhaps.

- If I put in two drives now, can I add a third later? What will that do?

Depends on the type of raid.

- Is it recommended to modify the bios or not?

Yes, if you want to have full speed on all ports.

- Does the device go into standby or low-power when there is no activity?

No, this is the next challenge.

- Is this legal? If not: will Synology be able to block access to their services?

I do not care for it

- How does DSM react to things like the VGA out?

There appears a virtual console, for debugging.

- How does it react to internal audio-out? Does that work?

Мicroserver does not have internal audio.

- Does the built-in raid do anything? Or are Synology boxes normally software raid?

Microserver using a software Raid, like synology.

- Does USB support work properly, so I can hook up a USB audiocard or USB TV-Tuner?

I only tested dvb-t card, but we do not have a signal (I use the card as a cheap SDR).

Anyway soon modified kernel code will be posted on github and everyone will be able to add or fix the things they need.

Find a file called "vender" in the second partition of your flash with dsm image, then open it in a hex editor.

Find offset 0x1 to 0x6 (D8 D3 85 B1 AE 8E) and replace it on your own MAC.

I guess I am a noob but how do I find out what my MAC is?