XPEnology Community

DiskStation Crashed during Volume Expansion

emerysteele

I just added a new drive to my diskstation, bringing the total drive count to 4. And it shutdown due to overheating (forgot to plug the CPU fan back in :/) during the volume expansion process.

When I turned the DiskStation back on, all of the drives were showing as unused & there were no volumes listed. I tried using the steps at https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/579 to try & recover the data but I am unable to mount the drives.

Is there any way of recovering my data, or is it a lost cause?

Hi

I'm not an expert in any way on Linux partitions, but it might be worth checking the mount information. I think that the XPE layout may be slightly different to 'real' DSM, so you need to change the command syntax to find and mount at the right points

Good luck

Well still no luck mounting the drives. But thankfully, I am able to recover most of my data because the 4th drive that I added was a drive from my old Diskstation. Which was setup in a 2x 2TB configuration so that 1 drive contained all of my data (up until about 3 weeks ago). So I was able to recover my data (and file structure) using R-Studio with pretty much no issues. Sucks I lost 3 weeks worth of data... but any data is better than no data. :smile: