XPEnology Community

HP microserver Gen8 and hp-ams

Hi,

I hope, somebody can help me. I bought a microserver gen8 since few month, and i have a "fan issue", i know, many topics speak about it, but, i'm trying to resolve it.

I have install esxi 5.1 on this server (+ DSM 5.2), the fan is running at 6% !

I change my system hard drive (2,5") I install directly xpenology, and now the fan is running between 15% and 21 %

I precise, i have the last bios and last ilo firmware (2.22)

I know DSM don't have the ilo driver, on ilo, i see that i must install HP Agentless Management Service (AMS) therefore I try 2 things:

* first install phpvirtualroot, install a debian (and ubuntu) try to install hp-ams, but "no hp server found"

* Second, I try to chroot a debian (and ubuntu) on DSM, it's works perfectly. install hp-ams, and now, i have /dev/hp-ilo not found

on dsm /dev/hp-ilo not exist. an other interresting point, when i launch lshw command on chroot environnement, i can see HP ilo ! but not work!

on chroot environment when i launch uname -a i see 3.10.35 ... i also try to fake uname ... still no luck!, install lm-sensors... no luck

can somebody help me to have hp-ams on dsm ? or reduce fan speed?

many thanks

I've spent the past couple days messing with this, and I've mostly got it working, though there are still a few bugs. The HP AMS code assumes a lot of things exist on the system that obviously aren't there with DSM, and that means it segfaults non stop. I finally got a build to work, and the main bug I notice is that in iLO only the first HDD is listed. This is in AHCI mode, it's possible the drive details show up OK in RAID mode. Also, I didn't really see any fan speed changes once I got this working, it was 10% before, and 9% after.

Here's a dump of what I've been testing. No idea how correct any of it is, haven't done any development in a long time This was built against the latest bromolow DSM source and is running on 5.2-5592 Update 3, I dunno if it works on other versions of DSM. Use at you own risk, though I can't imagine there's much risk involved with something that is basically just an SNMP wrapper.

Kernel Module - Steps mostly from here: http://xpenology.com/wiki/en/building_xpenology

Download DSM 5.2 source and toolchain:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/f ... z/download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/f ... z/download

Extract toolchain to /usr/local, extract source somewhere

cd source/linux-3.10.x

cp synoconfigs/bromolow .config

make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu- menuconfig

Go into Device Drivers -> Misc Devices, hit M at "Channel interface driver for the HP iLO processor" to build the kernel module

Save and Exit

make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu- modules

copy drivers/misc/hpilo.ko to /usr/lib/modules/3.10.35 on NAS

vi /usr/lib/modules/3.10.35/modules.dep and add this line:

/lib/modules/3.10.35/hpilo.ko:

modprobe hpilo should work with no errors

lsmod | grep hpilo should show that hpilo is loaded

HP AMS

I couldn't get any of the executables provided in the debs or rpms to run without segfaulting. So I searched around, and found some source on github:

https://github.com/marker55/hp-ams

It's not the absolutely latest from what I can tell (seems to be 2.1), but it's close, as 2.2 is the most recent rpm I could find. What's important is it has the new command line args that 2.0 and below don't have, which let use chose which MIBs to query

So git clone that repo, or just download the source zip.

Download http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snm ... z/download and copy it to the hp-ams-master folder

Run make

From what I can tell, it's not too important what compilers are used to build. I wasted a day adding cross compile support into all the Makefiles so I could build with the Synology toolchain to see if that would fix the numerous segfaults, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

After build is complete, copy the hpHelper executable to /sbin/hpHelper on the NAS

chmod +x /sbin/hpHelper

Test it

Assuming you've already modprobed hpilo, run this as root to test if AMS works

/sbin/hpHelper -f -L -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

Should see a message like 'NET-SNMP version 5.7.2 AgentX subagent connected'

Give it a minute or so, and see if things start showing up in iLO.

There are two other MIBs, 0 and 11, but including either of those just causes it to segfault. Might be fixable, but I haven't dug into the code.

Run at start

Ctrl-C your test run to stop it, then create a startup script.

vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

#!/bin/sh

modprobe hpilo
/sbin/hpHelper -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

chmod +x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

ps | grep hpHelper

Should show it is running, and iLO should still report correctly.

Download

5.2 - hp-ams.tar.gz

6.0 (thanks to ema) - https://mega.nz/#!gt0HTCJZ!PeXq-qutvb6mZT7ZuP3Htfi-abkEdOYNZ_HcCVTd-6Y

6.1 (thanks to ema) - https://mega.nz/#!R8dUhDJb!dyYEVSsrWSohPfU5O7Uxo-GisuMKZPZbG4HbeiIeHk0

Note the modules.dep.hpilo file, that's so you don't extract blindly and overwrite say the modules.dep file for VirtualBox. Rename to modules.dep if you don't have one, or copy the contents into your existing modules.dep.

Unfortunately, I really don't have a lot of time to work on this, so I doubt I'll ever have a proper package available or keep things up to date. But I figured I could at least dump what I had, so anyone else that wants to mess around with it can.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I'm running bare metal, with the B120i in AHCI mode. The fan speed depends on the intake temp, so I probably just have slightly lower temps that you. I just checked today, the intake temp is 21C and the fan is at 11%.

I think AHCI is always slightly higher than RAID mode, though it used to be much worse with the older firmware, where the fan was around 30% in AHCI mode.

There are a couple other hp apps that get installed on Linux, like the hp-health one. It could be that one of those are needed as well to get the same fan speeds we see in supported OSes? I'm not really sure.

hi, in fact i try hp-health on a chrooted ubuntu, and thanks to your hpilo.ko, i have can use it on ubuntu, BUT, hpHelper is more old than yours. therefore i can see the storage adapter but not the first drive. -> bad solution.

I think the problem is from hpilo.ko do you have use the last one?

regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi,

I was in the middle of buying a NAS for my home and was really undecided between synology and qnap. There were some nice products but they cost a lost.

In the meanwhile I found the possibility to buy a Microserver and install XPenology with a lower impact on costs and maybe better performance, am I right? :smile:

I thought that HP N54L was the perfect choice but actually it's not so easy to find one at cheap prices, it seems that G8 is quite more available.

So I found this thread and wanna ask: stated the "workaround" above, would you now suggest to buy a G8 over a G7, or is the N54L still a preferred choice if found?

and a little question not in topic: what does one loose with XPenology on x86 hw over a pure Sinology NAS? (if there is any difference)

thanks a lot

Dear icest0rm ,

I have the same problem.

I am looking to buy a G8 (HP G2020t ), for I have not found the G7 (HP N54L ) in Brazil to sell.

I not found in any place if you can install the HP G2020t Xpenology (G8) .

You found something ?

PS : excuse me for English errors. I'm using google translator.

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I have 2 Gen8 one with celeron and the other with Xeon Processor

Both use a hacked ILO Firmware and they are dead silent :grin: 6%-10% fan speed :ugeek:

When you install the Hacked ILO you have en old ILO Interface (1.32)and you cant upgrade(you can upgrade NP but you will lost the Hacked ILO)! but the server is dead silent.

Let me know if you need then i will upload.

BR

Michael

Thank you for the link, but i`m looking for a new version of hp-ams no iLO.

I installed allready iLO 2.50 firmware that works pretty good. It keeps my fans at 18%,

But with hp-ams i have all info reported from Syno to iLO (ex: fan, temperature, ip on nics, controller and drive informations).

DSM 5.2 with hp-ams worked pretty good. But now if I try to compile a new version for this kernel I get stuck on some things :smile:

Thank you for the link, but i`m looking for a new version of hp-ams no iLO.

I installed allready iLO 2.50 firmware that works pretty good. It keeps my fans at 18%,

But with hp-ams i have all info reported from Syno to iLO (ex: fan, temperature, ip on nics, controller and drive informations).

DSM 5.2 with hp-ams worked pretty good. But now if I try to compile a new version for this kernel I get stuck on some things :smile:

I try to build it for DSM 6 following jBark howto.. I tried it on my gen8 microserver

insmod /lib/modules/hpilo.ko
/sbin/amsHelper -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

and it work...

https://mega.nz/#!gt0HTCJZ!PeXq-qutvb6mZT7ZuP3Htfi-abkEdOYNZ_HcCVTd-6Y

ciao

ema

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Could you pls inform me what i have to do with this both data :

amsHelper

hpilo

maybe a dumb question but when ILO is working and show informations with those drivers this will be great please inform me what i have to do with this data

IS the Fan then on 6% ?

i need it for XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 (17/07/2016)

Or could anyone provide me his boot image with the integreated Kernel for XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 ?

:eek: pls

thank you

Michael

1st of all you need to be granted root permissions. Find out yourself how to do it on DSM 6.0.

Copy hpilo.ko to /lib/modules and amsHelper to /sbin

Open console and type: hmod +x /sbin/amsHelper

Login to DSM and create user defined script so on every reboot the same command will be executed:

insmod /lib/modules/hpilo.ko

/sbin/amsHelper -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

DSM_1.jpg

DSM_2.jpg

From now on Agentless Management Service should be active in ILO every time server is booted:

DSM_3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1