XPEnology Community

HP microserver Gen8 and hp-ams

This script is for DSM 6.0.

In my case fan is spinning at 13% speed after this script has been deployed and it is more or less the same before AMS was activated.

HP Gen8 microserver sense temp from multiple sensors thus activating AMS may not necessarily slow down the fan.

Make sure that you have latest Bios in your server - This has resolved high speed fan speeds in most cases.

Hi

Ok thank you for your time and explanation.

At the moment i use en old ILO 1.32 with special setting from Homeserver show and my fan spins only from 6 to 13 %. so i will gone with this old ILO it working great.

I have only one issue with this server and this is the bios reset wenn you restart the server and this cames from XPE 5967.1 not ILO solution was use USer default in the HP Bios.

But the reset is in the ILO Log still present.

BR

Michael

I meant BIOS - System ROM of the main board: J06 11/02/2015

The best practice for Gen8 Microserver is:

- acquire iLO advanced license (you can get trial code from HP but it's fairly cheep on eBay so just buy it)

- download latest Service Pack for ProLiant - 2016.10.0 at the moment

- launch iLO Integrated Remote Console and mount SPP iso as CD-ROM/DVD virtual drive

- reboot the server and boot from previously mounted SPP iso virtual drive

- deploy all firmware updates

Make sure that when you make changes to the Bios it's saved as user default options:

Choose "System Default Options" - "User Default Options" - "Save User Defaults" => this makes the actual settings to the new default settings.

I have noticed that after upgrading from 5.2 to 6.0 Bios reset does not occur.

• 2 weeks later...

@JBark: Thank you very much! I just installed an Dell H200 HBA (flashed to IT-Mode) and installed it into the Hp Microserver Gen8: With your tar.gz-archive and installing as you described even all harddisks connected to the H200 will be shown with their current status at the iLO-Webpage (for now only tested under DSM 5.2-5967 Update 1)!!! Awesome! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

amsHelper does not work with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7

Hi! I just updated my test gen8 to update 7 to check what you said, but I can confirm that everything works as with previous versions.

So check in previous post what's the correct way to use the driver (hpilo.ko) and the bin (amsHelper).

ciao

ema

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

amsHelper does not work with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7

Hi! I just updated my test gen8 to update 7 to check what you said, but I can confirm that everything works as with previous versions.

So check in previous post what's the correct way to use the driver (hpilo.ko) and the bin (amsHelper).

ciao

ema

1.png

2.png

3.png

Thanks very much. The guide worked perfectly to get AMS working.

I live in South Africa so the temps here are normally around 30deg and up in summer.

Today is one of the colder days with the ambient temp at 24deg.

My fan speed is at 14%

The fan speeds did not really change much after adding in the AMS.....but im glad i have the extra info now in ILO.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...

I try to intall hp-ams on 6.1 But it looks like when this script start works on bootup xpenology freeze. I have access to files by share and can try to login, but after entering password nothing happened/freeze ( by ssh and web portal). Can I check that this scripts works without reboot? For example enter this lines in ssh?

insmod /lib/modules/hpilo.ko

/sbin/amsHelper -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

I don't see any info for storages in iLo :sad:

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently on esxi 6.0 and xpenology as a vm within it. I too suffer the high fan speed issue where ambient temp is 27c and fan spins no lower than 35% when idle. None of those reported success with the modded hp-ams mentioned they are on esxi 6.0 or baremetal, I assume they are on baremetal. Can someone advise will this hp-ams mod work for esxi 6.0? If it is esxi 6.0 that I am on, does it matter which modded version I choose? thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Great job! there is a way to have it for 5.2? the version im runnning know "see" only a disk. thk for the answer and ur time

(grazie e ciao)

cya

Firstly thanks to jBark and ema I think, to get all working on 5.2 (if not already explained somewhere I missed) I've done the following:

My ilo verson is 2.50 Sep 23 2016

Download both the 5 and 6 builds, use the amsHelper from the 6 version and replace the hphelper as per below in the startup script

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_s9dH ... J3QVk/view

https://mega.nz/#!gt0HTCJZ!PeXq-qutvb6m ... _HcCVTd-6Y

Modify the startup script to use amsHelper and use the 5 version of hpilo

Run at start

Ctrl-C your test run to stop it, then create a startup script.

vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

modprobe hpilo

/sbin/amsHelper -I0 -M1,5,14,16,18,23,99

chmod +x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99HP-AMS.sh

ps | grep amsHelper

Should show it is running, and iLO should still report correctly and for me it shows all 4 drives

Great job! there is a way to have it for 5.2? the version im runnning know "see" only a disk. thk for the answer and ur time

(grazie e ciao)

cya

Firstly thanks to jBark and ema I think, to get all working on 5.2 (if not already explained somewhere I missed) I've done the following:

My ilo verson is 2.50 Sep 23 2016

Should show it is running, and iLO should still report correctly and for me it shows all 4 drives

Hi, thk you for your kind answer & thk to all ppl that make it possible like ema, jbark. I will try it asap!

EDIT: It works! Thk again.

I am currently on esxi 6.0 and xpenology as a vm within it. I too suffer the high fan speed issue where ambient temp is 27c and fan spins no lower than 35% when idle. None of those reported success with the modded hp-ams mentioned they are on esxi 6.0 or baremetal, I assume they are on baremetal. Can someone advise will this hp-ams mod work for esxi 6.0? If it is esxi 6.0 that I am on, does it matter which modded version I choose? thanks

You need AMS for ESXi, not XPEnology. If you used the HPE custom ESXi ISO, you should already have it.

If not grab the HPE offline bundle and install that.

• 1 month later...