XPEnology Community

Volume not expanding

fjf

I had two 6TB drives in SHR1 (n54l, DSM 5.0 bare metal) getting full. I purchased two more to a total of four, and started the expansion of volume 1. Two days later the system shows four normal disks...but no more free space than at the beginning. The option "expand volume with unallocated disk space" does nothing, even after a reboot. After I pulled the two disks, the system crashed...After I reintroduced them and a file system check, I am with 4 normal disks, and a total of 5.5TB of volume space.

Please. help!!.

I did take a look. I did have my two drives in SHR. With two drives, it it raid 1. When you add two more drives, it has to go from raid 1 to raid 5, which is still with one disk failure tolerance. It simply didnt expand. Dont know why. Yes, it is SHR.

OK. Because I wanted SHR2 (or RAID6), and there is no way to convert SHR1 in SHR2, I pulled out one disk, formatted it outside the box, then reinserted it into the n54l. Formatted it to volume 2, moved all folders to it, deleted volume 1 and then tried to expand volume 2 to the 3 remaining drives, expecting that it would let me choose the raid type. It does not. Now it is expanding AGAIN to SHR1, and I guess I will end up as I started: with and expanded volume not really expanded.

Is there a way of doing this? :sad:

OK, I thought I should post how I finally managed to go from 2 drives in SHR to 4 drives in RAID 6. May be useful for newbies (like me :lol: ).

1-Pull out one of the two drives and format it to erase it out of the xpenology box. You have now one degraded volume with all the data.

2-Insert the three disks (the formatted one and the two new disks) into the xpenology box and create a new volume (2) in raid 5

3-Using control panel-->shared folders-->edit, move all shared folders (one at the time) from volume 1 to volume 2

4-Delete volume 1 and using the Storage Manager, change RAID type for volume 2, from RAID 5 to 6.