XPEnology Community

xpenology beginner

yno

Hi, as you can see, im here new. I read some articles and threads on this forum, but i still dont understand some things. It would be nice from you, if you could help me.

I would like to build small home NAS. My first question is:

Xpenology OS is installed on every disk i will use, or only one will i choose to be installation disk? if only one, can i use 32GB ssd?

I need nas only for some documents, and to play 2 full hd movies at the time.

Will be good for me Asrock Q1900DC with J1900 atom processor? can it handle 2 movies at the time?

or will be better to buy asus h81T or asus Q87T with G1820? i wont use more than 2/4hdds. If i will buy Q87T(2 network adapters), will they work together at the same time? Or something other? I prefer DC-adapters.

Thank you guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Still, for the price of low end synology (e.g. DS213j) you can build more powerful unit, with upgrade options (I'm not sure if DSM will benefit from the quad core CPU?)

Of course, when you pay for the original device, you got the support, upgrades and no compatibility problems (mostly).

Yet, building something on your own gives plenty of fun...

I was about to buy Qnap TS212p, but was told on qnap forum, that I should go for at least ts251, to avoid lags etc.

Since I have some spare parts from my older PC, I consider the probably most popular configuration here: asrock q1900itx, 2GB ram, chieftec 410W power unit, and 2xHDD

I wonder it it's possible to use the HDMI to send video directly to TV? DS214play has HDMI too, so there should be some kind of media player?

I understand, that access to nas from WAN via synology.com won't be possible? But is it other way to do it (I have dynamic IP unfortunately)?

I want one device for storage, download station, and player, I don't care about transcoding, since my tv can handle most of the containers.

DLNA or direct HDMI connection - both are acceptable, in favour for the HDMI.

I would like to have WOL.

Since it is my first such project, I will be thankful for every advice.

Thank you