XPEnology Community

Need More Sata Ports

philsrb

sO NOW I AM BUILDING MY SECOND Xpenology System because i like it so much.

The new case has room for up to 16 drives and i am currently using a maximus v gene main board which maxes out at 6 data ports. how can i add the needed 6 additional ports?

i have seen several raid controllers, of which the dell per is obviously the cheapest. isn't there another cheaper solution, since i do not need a real raid controller but rather a simple data extension? aren't there any cheap data controllers with 6-8 ports for pie available? what is the solution you people use for extending?

furthermore, which raid controllers are known to just work with the dsm5?

I have a P410i HP smare array card with 2SAS port, virtually 8 SATA ports with the right cables (SAS to 4xSATA), but:

*driver are not included in the main build, you need to compile it or ask to xpenology guys to include it.

*once load after boot, I can see the additional drives and initialize new array, but it looks like as they are not present at early boot time, xpenology brain detects them as new at each start, so you need to reconfigure them...

I didn't find a solution for point 2, point 1 is addressed by getting the DSM5 gpl projects and compiler on an ubuntu virtual machine, and compile the good driver, but I can't have remanent install for the additional disk... Still need help for that.

Well i figured that out but theprblem is i cannot find any cards with more than 4 ports...is there a list of compatible controllers? Isnt there one mocel that stands out for price and compatibility? I cannot imagine thst users hre only stick with the few onboard sata options

• 8 months later...